PDA

View Full Version : Question for Dr Carole - which blast?

luxelover
September 16th, 2015, 05:56 PM
Hi Dr,

I wanted to ask our opinion on which blast I should use. I have 2 tested day 5 blasts, one fully hatched (grade BB) and one early blast, grade B. Should I thaw the early blast the night before the transfer to see how it progresses, or just go ahead and implant the fully hatched one? We only want to transfer one.

Also, what are the odds of a fully hatched day 5 blast splitting into twins? I am slightly scared of that prospect. Many thanks!

nuthinbutpink
September 17th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Why would you go with the lesser quality blast? Fully hatched is as good as it gets!

Carole
September 17th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Why would you go with the lesser quality blast? Fully hatched is as good as it gets!

I would agree. This one is begging to implant. :)

luxelover
September 17th, 2015, 08:29 PM
Thanks NBP and Carole!

Carole, if you're still reading, could you let me know what the odds are of a fully-hatched day 5 splitting into twins?

Thank you!

Carole
September 18th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Thanks NBP and Carole!

Carole, if you're still reading, could you let me know what the odds are of a fully-hatched day 5 splitting into twins?

Thank you!

There is no way to know because you would have to track a sizeable number of single transfer fully hatched blasts and this is relatively rare - pretty sure no one has this data. Most transfers are mixed- more than one embryo and often at different stages and grades. If you want to avoid twins, it is always better to transfer one rather than two. It is true that sometimes the one will split- but I don't think there is any data for how often it happens. Good Luck!

luxelover
September 18th, 2015, 03:46 PM
Thank you!