PDA

View Full Version : FF vs. OPK - when the heck did I O?

Jelliebellie83
September 20th, 2015, 01:01 PM
My current cycle is really messing with my head. This is my first month actively TTC and I geared up by getting the Clearblue Advanced OPKs, thinking that would be relatively simple. Sigh.

My cycle's been alternating between 35 and 39 days every other month since May 2015. This time I was expecting a 39 day cycle. I got 8 days of flashing smileys on the OPK, with the last flashing smiley being the evening of CD24. The morning of CD 25, I got a solid smiley. During those days, CM was very wet and liquid-y (no EWCM but I rarely get that). The hubs and I BD'ed that evening. As is the case, the OPK kept the solid smiley for 2 days (CD 25 and 26). On CD27, I did another OPK and it was an empty circle. Stupidly, I wasn't temping or charting at that point.

Flash forward to CD 35 (supposed to be 9DPO at that point based on OPKs). I download the FF app, I go back in time and punch in my OPK dates. I start temping. I know it's too late by that point, but I figure it'll be good practice for next cycle. I'm totally expecting AF by CD39 or 40 bc I've got some cramps and I'm super cranky. I keep checking when I wipe, but only see white milky CM, creamy/lotion consistency.

As mentioned, I started temping on CD35/"9DPO". I get temps in the 97.5-97.6 range from CD 36-39. Then on CD40/"14DPO", it shoots straight up (98.2). The following morning (CD41/"15DPO"), it goes to 98.6. Today (CD42), it is 98.0. These are temps taken at 6:15AM. Just took my temp now (9:45AM) and it is 99.0. When I input these temps into FF, it changes my O date to CD39 - I'm assuming it's bc it has no other reference point aside from these high temps and when it reads 3 high temps it thinks "OVULATION!". So, I'm all like "but OPK said I surged on CD25 and O was likely after than and my CM was on point around that time." I know that's not a guarantee, but it just makes sense - especially since the timing would align with my LP which is 13-14 days, etc.

All wondfo HPTs I've taken since 9DPO are negative. Being the POAS fanatic I am, I also did an OPK on CD39 because I needed to pee on something (lol) - it was negative. No BFPs, no AF (though I am getting AF cramps and PMS and all AF signs but when I wipe there is nothing). At this point, I just want AF to come because BFNs at this point mean I'm not preggo! But if FF is right, and I did O at CD39, then I just missed my window... Just don't know what to rely on at this point: digi OPK or FF temps.

Any input/advice/opinions would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks so much in advance!

atomic sagebrush
September 21st, 2015, 12:52 PM
I can't tell you when you Oed with 100% certainty until AF gets here. Personally, i can't stand Clearblue Advanced and I think they add way more confusion. I seriously doubt you Oed on CD 39! But you have to undertstand that FF is just a computer program and it operates on an algorithm, it can't know anything other than the temps you give it and it's confused by the way you were taking yoru temps.

Yes, just as you suspect, you can't start temping at a random part of the cycle and you also can't mix and match temps taken at other parts of the day. A temp going from 97.6 to 98.2 is not "shooting straight up", it's a tiny fluctuation that could be caused by tons of different things including random chance.

The temp from 9:45 is meaningless and should be thrown out. As you get up and move around it's normal for your temp to rise and this temp indicates nothing about your hormones or anything.

Jelliebellie83
September 22nd, 2015, 03:51 PM
Thanks, Atomic. No AF yet and I'm trying to just let it be and ride it out until she shows. At this point, don't know what to rely on - temps, OPK, whatever. This is now my longest cycle (44 days) and I already thought my 35-39 day cycles were going to mess with TTC! Figures with my luck this would happen the very first month we had unprotected sex [emoji53]

I've had some weird pulling/pinching jabs on my left side, by my hip - nothing like AF cramps or even O cramps. Do you know if a cyst could be preventing AF? Or maybe I had an annovulatory cycle despite my OPK solid smiley on CD25? I called my GP but they won't see me until it's been 2 weeks since expected period. I am 6 days late based on my longest cycle. I seriously hate almost everything right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
September 24th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Anything is possible but I can't tell from here! Sorry! Can you get in to see a different doctor?? Some are more obliging than others. Keep us posted, we learn a lot from these types of threads.