PDA

View Full Version : Should I go straight to IVF or try medicated/monitored IUI first?

CarolineSinclair
September 24th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Hi, I asked this in another thread I created but I thought I'd make a separate thread as well in case people didn't see it in the other thread.

I'm going to be 40 on September 28. In July I did a non-medicated or monitored IUI, which was a fail.

I'm talking with my clinic about doing a monitored, medicated IUI this time, but they told me it only has a 13% chance of working at my age. The other one was only 7% (which they didn't tell me until after I did it). They also aren't recommending me to do two vials of sperm.

So I'm wondering if I'm wasting time and money by even attempting the IUI.

I have 9 follicles and FSH levels were what they wanted it to be, other bloodwork was good although I still have to do AMH, HSG test and infectious blood diseases (I wonder why I have to do the infectious diseases test, it expired a year ago but I'm not sexually active, so I wonder if anything has really changed....not even sure what diseases they are looking for in that one and how one gets them).

So, what is everyone's opinion, should I just go straight to IVF? Or is the IUI worth a shot?

nuthinbutpink
September 24th, 2015, 01:33 PM
It's a huge difference in price.

atomic sagebrush
September 26th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Can you afford the IVF, though??

I can't know without seeing your pretesting, what your odds of success with IVF are. I do know that it's a really hard process at 40 with not a great outcome for most people (without turning to donor eggs or embryos which I know you aren't interested in)

For the most part I never recommend IUI if IVF is an option but it was my understanding that cost is a factor here and that you are not interested in donor eggs. I do think as a general rule, that pregnancy rates are higher for people over 40 with natural conceptions vs. IVF, unless you have a small fortune to throw at it. But your situation is different since IUI is your only option - you don't have the option that some do which is just TTC every month and wait for "goldie the golden egg" to show up. No matter how you go about it, it's going to be an invasive procedure with a high level of luck involved.

This is just one of those situations that short of a crystal ball, no one really knows what is best. I'd go with what you feel most comfy with and can afford.

Re infectious disesases, they have to test everyone for that. It's just standard. I'm sure they get tons of people who swear they couldn't possibly have one, and do, so they have to operate on the assumption that everyone is fibbing. :/

atomic sagebrush
September 26th, 2015, 12:37 PM
It's a huge difference in price.

You could probably afford several IUI for the price of one IVF cycle.

CarolineSinclair
September 28th, 2015, 08:04 PM
You could probably afford several IUI for the price of one IVF cycle.

But if they don't have much chance to work, wouldn't that be throwing money away pretty much?

I don't think we do have the money for IVF, but I don't know.

The Anchor
September 29th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Look at your pretesting numbers before you decide. Your best chances are with IVF if you can afford it.

Are you using donor sperm? That is another factor you may want to investigate.

atomic sagebrush
September 29th, 2015, 03:16 PM
But if they don't have much chance to work, wouldn't that be throwing money away pretty much?

I don't think we do have the money for IVF, but I don't know.

If you can only afford one round of IVF vs 4 IUI, the equation changes.

CarolineSinclair
October 4th, 2015, 02:58 PM
Look at your pretesting numbers before you decide. Your best chances are with IVF if you can afford it.

Are you using donor sperm? That is another factor you may want to investigate.

Yes, I am using donor sperm. Sadly, I'm single, so I have no other option.

Well the nurse said my bloodwork results were pretty good.

Do you have to be put all the way under for IVF?

nuthinbutpink
October 4th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Yes. It's surgery. It's like being put under at the dentist for wisdom teeth. Lots of meds before and after.

CarolineSinclair
October 17th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Yes. It's surgery. It's like being put under at the dentist for wisdom teeth. Lots of meds before and after.

I hope I don't have to do that then. I'm scared of general anesthesia. Not of local, but general freaks me out. It's why I never went through with a nose job and breast implants, my only chance of getting a man, lol.

When I had my wisdom teeth out at 16, I just took a bunch of needles instead of letting them put me all the way out.

Do you have to get general anesthesia to get your eggs taken out for freezing?

atomic sagebrush
October 17th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I am, too. It's nervewracking!

TRL
October 17th, 2015, 09:11 PM
It's not general, it's just light sedation. It's over in 10 min.