PDA

View Full Version : Short luteal phase

Deux Bleus
August 29th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hello,

Can someone fill me in on the saga of having a 'short luteal phase'.
Ive read a little about this but cant seem to make too much from it- and, I think I have one :(

So basically I Ovulate on CD16 and get AF every 23 days. That leaves me with 7 days between O and AF.

What does this do? Is it an issue and can I change it??
Funny how not long ago, when conceiving DS1 & DS2 I had the same length cycle but ovulated on CD9. All I wanted was a longer ovulation cycle as O day was so close to AF finishing. Now its too long and too close to it starting.

michaela
August 30th, 2011, 03:21 AM
Yes this is an issue an could be preventing you from getting pregnant. Basically what happens is your progesterone is dropping too low too fast and signals the uterus that there must not be a pregnancy so start shedding your lining.

The good news is that yes it can usually be fixed but you will want to talk to your OB to have some blood tests run. You may just need prometrium to increase your progesterone and keep it high, or you may need help producing a better egg with something like Clomid. Definitely talk to your doc though and hopefully the can easily fix it for you.

atomic sagebrush
September 4th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hello,

Can someone fill me in on the saga of having a 'short luteal phase'.
Ive read a little about this but cant seem to make too much from it- and, I think I have one :(

So basically I Ovulate on CD16 and get AF every 23 days. That leaves me with 7 days between O and AF.

What does this do? Is it an issue and can I change it??
Funny how not long ago, when conceiving DS1 & DS2 I had the same length cycle but ovulated on CD9. All I wanted was a longer ovulation cycle as O day was so close to AF finishing. Now its too long and too close to it starting.

I think we talked about this a bit but I did just spot this post so I wanted to answer it.

I totally agree with everything Michaela said!! This is not an insurmountable problem at all. Clomid will help fix your LP (and will also sway pink, it is believed) and also supplementary progesterone will ensure that you can conceive/stay pg even with a LPD.

First of all, how certain are you that you O on CD 16? How are you judging when you O? Are you temping or going off of OPK or what?? If you're just using symptoms, those can be very unreliable.

If you do want to try natural ways of extending your LP, please read this:http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1919-raising-progesterone-through-diet-B-6-and-prog-cream-HOW-TO