PDA

View Full Version : TTC questions, trying to plan a couple months ahead

Maraschinoli
October 23rd, 2015, 02:10 PM
Hi everyone,

I’m looking to start TTC for baby #2 in January 2016, and I’d really like to try hard for a girl this time (I want to note that I love my son TO DEATH!!!!). I’m currently BFing my son and I’ll probably start weaning him by then. My cycles have returned (lucky me), but they are ridiculously long, like average 35-37 days.

My biggest issue I think will be getting my timing right because these cycles are so long, and I’m guessing irregular. Do you think I should maybe see my OB about this, or should I just start charting my cycles now and use an OPK?

What is your favorite OPK that you like to use? Last time I used clearblue, and it seemed to do the job, but I wonder if there’s something better?

Should I start swaying now to get my body used to LE? What’s your favorite sway tactic?

Lastly, and this always gets me, is CD1 the first drops of red blood you see, or is it full on flow? Right now I’m having light spotting, dark brown/red. I should note that on a whim we DTD without protection earlier this month and I thought it was right around O, but I've tested negative on both CB, FRER and a blood test from my OB since my cycle has been really late.

Thanks ladies!

The Anchor
October 23rd, 2015, 02:30 PM
Hi Mara!

If you have long irregular cycles you might want to get yourself tested for PCOS. How long are we talking here? A normal cycle is anywhere from 21 to 35 days.

Get yourself some internet cheapies (IPs). They work just as well as the more expensive OPKs.

Try to be on LE several weeks before you attempt. I think the current recommendation is 8 weeks.

CD1 is first full flow that happens before 4pm. That is, if full flow happens after 4pm, CD1 is the following day.

Maraschinoli
October 23rd, 2015, 03:15 PM
Hi Mara!

If you have long irregular cycles you might want to get yourself tested for PCOS. How long are we talking here? A normal cycle is anywhere from 21 to 35 days.

Get yourself some internet cheapies (IPs). They work just as well as the more expensive OPKs.

Try to be on LE several weeks before you attempt. I think the current recommendation is 8 weeks.

CD1 is first full flow that happens before 4pm. That is, if full flow happens after 4pm, CD1 is the following day.

My cycle has been back for about 7 months now, but I'd say they're averaging 32 days based on my app. Good to know it's fairly normal.

Will any IPs do, like from Amazon or something?

Thanks for the advice, I'll start LE soon then! :)

The Anchor
October 23rd, 2015, 03:25 PM
I used these guys:

Early Pregnancy Tests | Shop Online for Home Pregnancy Tests (http://www.early-pregnancy-tests.com/pregnancytests.html?gclid=CNqph-io2cgCFQEJaQodZmwFwg)

But I think any will do! Lots of woman like the Wondfos sold at Dollar Tree (not sure where you are). Oh and I just read that we recommend 12 weeks on diet now.

Maraschinoli
October 23rd, 2015, 05:55 PM
I DO have a Dollar Tree near me! Yes!!!

Oh man, guess I should start Monday! Thanks again Anchor!

atomic sagebrush
October 24th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Hi again Maraschinoli!

how old is your little one now?? That kind of matters because I don't like you guys to start diet too heavily while nursing.

I would not bother charting or using OPK now. Your cycles will normalize once you stop nursing and it's not going to help you much to track them now. Your OB will probably not do much about them, it is sometimes the body's way while you're breastfeeding to naturally help prevent you from getting pregnant too soon. But, you never know, sometimes they will give you Clomid to correct long cycles and it doens't hurt to go in and see what they have to say. (Don't go in and request Clomid, just say you're ready to TTC again and having long/irregular cycles and see what they say. they may offer Clomid, or they may not. If they don't, just say thank you - don't push the issue because they won't give it to you anyway. :))

Most people are using Wondfo or Babi OPK strips, they are cheaper than Clearblue and equally if not more reliable.

Since the last time you swayed, the following have taken the lead as best sway tactics: Diet and fiber 12 weeks or longer, exercise, one attempt, Clomid if you can get it. Alcohol and coffee. Most of the other stuff has not been real effective so my inclination is for you to focus on those things and use the other stuff sparingly. I know it's counterintuitive but weirdly, trying really hard has seemed to equal more opposites, while a laid back approach of focusing only on what really works, is getting it done.

It really doesn't matter when CD 1 is. It really doesn't. Most say the day of first bright red bleeding is CD 1 but if you have several days of tiny red spots before a full flow, then it's the full flow day. Spotting is usually NOT AF unless you have like a gush of red blood at night and then get proper AF the next day. My thinking is, if you think it's CD 1, it usually is. I think most of us know pretty much when our period has REALLY arrived. Spotting in the LP is not unsual while nursing. Since yours is brown mixed with red that doesn't quite sound like AF to me UNLESS it never gets heavier and just goes away. It's possible to mistake a very light AF (again not unusual during breastfeeding) for spotting.

atomic sagebrush
October 24th, 2015, 02:35 PM
My cycle has been back for about 7 months now, but I'd say they're averaging 32 days based on my app. Good to know it's fairly normal.

Will any IPs do, like from Amazon or something?

Thanks for the advice, I'll start LE soon then! :)

:agree: totally anything from 21 days to 35 is totally normal. Even if it's not regular by the month.

Maraschinoli
October 24th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Hi again Maraschinoli!

how old is your little one now?? That kind of matters because I don't like you guys to start diet too heavily while nursing.

Since the last time you swayed, the following have taken the lead as best sway tactics: Diet and fiber 12 weeks or longer, exercise, one attempt, Clomid if you can get it. Alcohol and coffee. Most of the other stuff has not been real effective so my inclination is for you to focus on those things and use the other stuff sparingly. I know it's counterintuitive but weirdly, trying really hard has seemed to equal more opposites, while a laid back approach of focusing only on what really works, is getting it done.

Hi Atomic,

He'll be a year on 11/6, so what do you think? Should I light sway for now until I start weaning, or do you think it's okay for me to go full on? He does eat lots of solids at this point so he's not 100% dependent on nursing.

I love having coffee mixed with hot chocolate (mmm), will that do? I will mention the long cycles to OB to see if Clomid is available. Is it better to get the fiber intake from foods or to take supplements?

With regard to the alcohol, how does that work? That's new to me. I am on Zoloft (50mg), which totally does back flips if I have alcohol and stops working. Would that be counter-intuitive?

Thank you!!!

atomic sagebrush
October 26th, 2015, 06:41 PM
I would go vegetarian and stick with upper limits of diet 1800-2000. No fiber or if you do want to use it, add in a separate vitamin drop for him with Vit. D and DHA in it. (you can still get fiber from food, just not supps)

I would stick with just coffee to avoid the nutrients in the hot choc but that is up to you - if you can fit it in your totals for the day, it's ok, but if you're passing up on real foods in favor of hot chocolate that may not be a good trade.

Oh yes no alcohol on zoloft, I didn't know you were on that. I do not have the data to be able to say if it "stops working" for the sway, I do know you aren't supposed to mix the two and I would NEVER EVER have you do that when nursing!!! aaa seriously don't do that.

RE Clomid, if your baby is only a year old there are very few docs who will give you Clomid.

Maraschinoli
October 26th, 2015, 07:04 PM
Awesome, thank you!!! :)