PDA

View Full Version : Email quote from my ob - no hope for us over 40 apparently! :(

1moregirl
October 27th, 2015, 10:43 PM
She replied to some questions with this email message,

"Our recommendation to all women, whether they have had miscarriages or not, is to take 500mcg of folic acid per day. Folic acid ONLY decreases the risk of your baby having Spina bifida. It does NOT decrease your risk of miscarriage. Women can write anything they want on the Internet, so you will read a lot of things that aren't really correct. There is NO evidence that Coq10 decreases miscarriage. In Australia, we do not recommend the use of baby aspirin or progesterone. Professor Wallace from Monash Healthis a world authority, and he believes these will not help. Your only increased risk of miscarriage is your age. At your age, your pregnancy has a higher chance of being a miscarriage than it has of giving you a baby. At your age, if you do carry a baby, that baby has a greater than 1 in 10 chance of having Downs Syndrome. I am pleased you want to be as healthy as possible, but you are not able to change the one thing that really gives you a high risk of miscarriage, and a high risk of a baby with abnormalities. That one thing is YOUR AGE."

I have just turned 44 years old. I had a healthy baby 2 months shy of turning 41. Is it just me or does this obstetrician sound negative toward women in their 40s having babies? After reading that message I really feel like she has scared me out of trying again. Maybe I should just give up on the last girl sway I was planning for January? I was feeling quite positive but now I feel quite defeated. :(

more pink
October 28th, 2015, 01:49 AM
I'm sorry for you :-( but I think you shouldn't take it personally because your OB is stating facts and giving you an advice really more than being a downer . I wish you a healthy pregnancy if you go ahead :-)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
October 28th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I agree, as per what I said before, that your issue is your age. It wasn't Zofran. It was age. I'm sorry that is just what the truth is. The older we get, the harder it is to get and stay pregnant. I was lucky in that I had a doctor who was very supportive of my pregnancy at 41/42 but others have also had negative experiences. But, like I said in another thread, the info on pregnancies over age 40 may very well be skewed because up until very recently, the majority people even trying to get pregnant over 40 were people who may have had fertility problems to start with, and they may have been more "set" for issues than others are (this is getting and staying pregnant and NOT the risk of chromosomal abnormalities, which absolutely does increase with age no matter what we do, unfortunately)

All that having been said, she is wrong about the folic acid/folate as there are definitely studies done by OTHER experts who DO believe that it helps prevent Downs. (posted links in your other post) Additionally, as I can attest, 500 mcg was NOT ENOUGH to prevent my son's spina bifida as he still developed it when I was taking 800 mcg a day and eating an extremely healthy diet, taking prenatal (I was not swaying). There are also many other neural tube defects aside from spina bifida that can cause miscarriage and folic acid does prevent those.

Re coq10 - Yep, no hard scientific evidence it helps (as of yet). But it doesn't hurt and since pretty much every RE on the planet doing IVF recommends it for egg quality, personally I choose to listen to them

atomic sagebrush
October 28th, 2015, 10:03 AM
And I don't say that to be discouraging to anyone because we have had many successful pregnancies over 40, mine included. It's just the truth that you have to be honest with yourself about, before going in. Every time I went to the bathroom, thru my whole pregnancy, I expected to be bleeding and that I wasn't is only down to the Grace of God. It can still happen (and I personally know a lady who had a healthy baby at the age of 45, over 50 years ago) it is just harder, that's all.

ever hopeful
October 28th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Yes, I agree to with what your Ob says, but it doesn't mean that you can't still have a healthy baby - just obviously odds are statistically much lower. My Ob was absolutely fantastic with all of my pregnancies at 38, 41, 43 and 45......I know you are feeling very very down at the moment after what you have been through (I felt shocking for quite a while after my HT m/c at 9 weeks when I was 44). Take some time to heal and get over your loss and really hope you get pg again with a healthy DD. Hugx xx

nuthinbutpink
October 28th, 2015, 10:08 AM
The OB is correct. Age is the biggest factor. That doesn't mean it can't happen but there are obstacles.

1moregirl
October 30th, 2015, 01:10 AM
What is an RE ladies?

atomic sagebrush
October 30th, 2015, 01:09 PM
reproductive endocrinologist. more details in other post

atomic sagebrush
October 30th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Here is a link with a couple of our over 40 babies - Aidansmum was 41 when she had her baby and Little Lunasa was 43. It can happen, just that it's more difficult than when we're 21 and 23. :) http://genderdreaming.com/forum/due-in-june-july-august-2014-a/40556-june-july-august-2014-due-date-club-thread-3-a-96.html#post770733

1moregirl
October 31st, 2015, 02:17 AM
Thanks soooo much Atomic. You really do give the best advice ever. I really do think I need to give it one last shot. If it ends the same way, then I will not try again and will settle with the three beautiful cherubs I already have. If it works, and I end up with a healthy baby at the end of it - then all well and good. What are the risks of later miscarriages for women in their 40s do you know? Obviously I would need to go in with my eyes open and not get my hopes up high until well after the first trimester. I would be keeping it to myself this time, except for DH of course. I wouldn't tell the kids or anyone else this time round and would not go setting myself up for disappointment.

atomic sagebrush
November 1st, 2015, 12:41 PM
Same risks as for everyone but higher. If you're in good health and fit without health issues then it really helps a lot. So many gals even in our 40's have things like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc. If you don't have to worry about those issues, that's great!

1moregirl
November 1st, 2015, 10:59 PM
Atomic - the Coq10 I bought says they have 150mg of ubidecarenone in each one of them. Is this the right one? I couldn't find any that said ubiquinol so this and the ubidecarenone must be the same thing. So do I just take one of these per day Hun? Plus I'll take the 2025mcg folic acid and the Elevit until month of attempt and then will just take these 3 x a week til BfP. Will also Bd every 3 or 4 days with the one big attempt without condom on the first day I get a positive opk. I will follow the diet as much as I can but am trying to focus on a more healthy sway this time. You don't think I need to take any calcium sups at all (since I don't eat much dairy)? I suppose there is some in the Elevit anyway. I don't think I will get DH to take anything this time round.he already does a lot of bike riding. He rides every day to work and I worked out he was doing this when we conceived our other daughter as well, but not when we conceived our boys.

atomic sagebrush
November 3rd, 2015, 05:00 PM
I never recommend caclcium supps.

Ubiquinone is better.

1moregirl
November 4th, 2015, 05:18 AM
Atomic - you can't recommend a brand name for the ubiquinol could you Hun? I'm just having a hard time finding it, that's all. I wasn't able to find it in the Chemist Warehouse anyway. Also, I don't know if you've read my other post but I got a really mean private message from another member this evening which I'm not at all happy about. I can't believe how incredibly nasty some people can be. :(

3boys531
November 4th, 2015, 05:37 AM
Bio Ceuticals is a brand in Australia. Not sure where you are sorry. You can't get it in chemist warehouses. It needs to be a normal chemist and its in a locked cabinet. Around $30-$40 a bottle though so pricey.

atomic sagebrush
November 4th, 2015, 12:04 PM
No more telling tales out of school, please. This situation is over and done with and will not continue any longer. Gender swaying, TTC, and supportive posts only please.

I don't recommend brands to anyone because there's no way for me to keep up with all the brands around the world. Thank you 3boys351 for your input very helpful. Ubiquinol is super expensive for sure.