PDA

View Full Version : 2 chemicals in a row…. now what?

needsomepink
November 8th, 2015, 08:25 AM
I've just had my 2nd chemical pregnancy in a row. Both happened at 4w5d. Feeling disappointed, confused as to why this is happening and wondering where to go from here.
Can I try again right away? Do I need to go to my Dr? Is there something I should take to help prevent this?
Anyone else have this followed by a successful pregnancy right away?

** I should also mention that I believe I have a short LP, around 10 days, which maybe is contributing to this? I've read that B6 can help… should I start taking that? Or a B complex?
I haven't been taking prenatals - only folic acid - as part of my sway.

ksmom
November 8th, 2015, 09:17 AM
I'm so sorry. :( I don't really have any advice but I also had an early mc last month at 4w2d and am worried it will happen again. As far as I know it's okay to try again after a chemical but I'm not a doctor. Are you taking folic acid? I hope you're able to get pregnant again soon with a sticky little one.

needsomepink
November 8th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Thanks…. sorry to hear about your loss as well.
I know its ok to try again after the first chemical, but I don't know if now that I've had 2 if its still ok to try again right away or if I should wait now…?
I've been taking folic acid daily for a few months now.

ksmom
November 8th, 2015, 10:04 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't be okay to try again right away. You could always wait one cycle if you feel better about waiting instead. I'm sure Atomic will be able to give you better advice than I can.

nuthinbutpink
November 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM
You would need to see your OB to see if you truly have LP defect. If you do, you would require progesterone support to sustain a pregnancy. Blood tests after ovulation can be done to see if your progesterone is too low.

atomic sagebrush
November 8th, 2015, 04:31 PM
It is not unusual and it's the rare doc who is willing to see you for 2 chemicals. Yes, people have successful pregnancies after chemicals, even 2-3 back to back. What it usually means is that the egg or the sperm or the way they joined wasn't quite "right" and the pregnancy did not work out.

B6 - I believe it sways blue and I have found almost without exception that with b6, people's ovulation is very delayed and then it takes 3-6 months to work anyway - during which time most people's LP gets longer OR they get pregnant anyway. You can absolutely get pg with an LP of 10 days. What often happens with B6 is that not only are you still having a short LP but your ovulation starts getting really delayed too so then you end up with fewer chances to even TTC and a short LP to boot.

If you do want to try increasing vitamins I would just do a regular prenatal 2-3 times a week. The reason for this is because the B vitamins in the prenatals are a smaller amount and it's the megadose B's that really mess up the cycle.

needsomepink
November 8th, 2015, 06:19 PM
Thanks Atomic, appreciate the reassurance and info regarding the B vitamins.
I know chemicals are common, just haven't heard of or read too many cases where people have them back to back so naturally I was worrying.

So I guess its safe to keep on ttc right away?

mommymachine
November 8th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I'm sorry:(

In 2013 I had a 7 week loss (baby died at 5 weeks 4 days) then got pregnant immediately with no period in between and lost that baby at 5 weeks 4 days. Got pregnant immediately again, and had a healthy baby girl who just celebrated her 2nd birthday on Thursday:) so back to back losses don't necessarily mean anything is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefaithson
November 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I am so sorry:( I had a chemical in Feb and another in May and the babies were genetically normal. My doctor did not say there was any need to wait. If it will make you feel better, you may want to go to your Obgyn to check in but I doubt they will do anything.

atomic sagebrush
November 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
Most people do not know when they have chemicals. They may have a period that comes a day late and never know. REmember of all the pregnancies that ever occurred, 99.99% are in people who are not testing and the vast majority of chemicals are believed to be chromosomal and nothing to be done other than await the 'right' egg anyway.

It is safe to get pregnant immediately after a chemical.

atomic sagebrush
November 9th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I am so sorry:( I had a chemical in Feb and another in May and the babies were genetically normal. My doctor did not say there was any need to wait. If it will make you feel better, you may want to go to your Obgyn to check in but I doubt they will do anything.

To the best of my knowlege they can't test genes in a chemical pregnancy? The cell mass is too small to see.

1moregirl
November 9th, 2015, 08:11 PM
I just wanted to say that I hope you get a Sticky BFP on your next try. Also, how do you find out if your baby had or did not have a chromosomal abnormality after a chemical pregnancy/very early miscarriage? I hadn't heard of that.

atomic sagebrush
November 10th, 2015, 12:43 PM
I am not sure they can after a chemical. My understanding is that you have to have the remains themselves tested and if the remains are too small to find or too degraded to test then it's not possible.

The Anchor
November 10th, 2015, 02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure hope is doing PGD...so she knows her embies were fully tested and normals.

atomic sagebrush
November 12th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Oh of course DUH!!! Thank you

Rosie85
November 15th, 2015, 01:09 AM
I had two chemicals in a row and then my third try was successful and i had a girl.

1moregirl
November 17th, 2015, 05:04 AM
Rosie85 - I'm very sorry you had those two miscarriages. One of those is certainly enough for anyone to endure. Pardon me if I sound ignorant, but you said you had 2 chemical pregnancies and yet your second miscarriage was at 12 weeks - I thought chemical pregnancies were when you had really early miscarriages? And congratulations on the birth of your little baby girl. I bet she is very spoilt by her big brothers. :)

atomic sagebrush
November 18th, 2015, 05:02 PM
She had three. One loss at 12 weeks, 2 chemicals, and then a girl

Hopefaithson
December 2nd, 2015, 08:19 PM
My chemicals were fully tested pgd normal males. So I'm sure it wasn't chromosomal abnormality :/

After losing 3 normal embryos in the past year, I recently found out I have an infection in my uterine lining. I wish I had a biopsy with a specific bacteria culture a year ago. It may be worth it to ask your ob to do a biopsy if you have repeat chemicals. He or she may not be on board, but when everything else checks out normal, it could be where the problem is!

atomic sagebrush
December 2nd, 2015, 10:15 PM
I'm so sorry for your losses. Thanks for letting us know about the uterine infection. I hope they get it fixed soon. :)

As a general rule though the rules are different with HT pregnancies because chemicals happen more often regardless. They don't quite have it all figured out yet in terms of hormones and thus chemicals may happen more often. Thus, I stick with the conventional wisdom that in most naturally conceived pregnancies, it's believed that chemicals are caused by faulty sperm, faulty egg, or something going wrong in the comingling of the two yielding chromosomal abnormalities.

Hopefaithson
December 3rd, 2015, 07:31 AM
Atomic - I totally agree with you that it usually is a chromosomal abnormality. I had to have three high tech losses before the biopsy. It makes me sad to think I had this simple curable with antibiotics problem all along and wasted healthy normals that I worked so hard to create...but, what's done is done. This was supposed to be my journey for whatever reason. I just hope to have another baby soon!

atomic sagebrush
December 3rd, 2015, 04:35 PM
Me too Hope and I'll send you every speck of sticky blue dust I got! :)

Hopefaithson
December 4th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Aww thanks so much:) I could definitely use it right about now. I've only got one left!