PDA

View Full Version : IVF stats for having a livebirth at 43 and over.

1moregirl
November 17th, 2015, 05:16 AM
I was reading on an Australian IVF website just yesterday and read that women who are 43 or over have a 50% chance of a successful pregnancy resulting in a live baby. Does that seem discouraging or not? Part of me really wants to give it one more shot, yet another part of me is scared stiff of getting all the way to 10 weeks or even further along and going through another miscarriage. Am I just being ridiculous? I have two boys and one girl should I just forget about my desire to try one last girl sway to try and give our daughter a sister? I would hate to jeopardise my health (or life) by going through another miscarriage when my 3 kids need me. I wish I had the courage that sooo many other ladies have who have tried and tried after miscarriages.

ever hopeful
November 17th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I'm not sure of stats, but pretty sure the chance of a m/c seriously jeopardising your health (apart from posible ability to have more kids) or killing you is tiny...don't think I 've ever heard/read of such a case, but obviusly there must be some. Chances are much higher you will be killed in a road accident....obviusly emotiionally it can be mcuh harder.....but if you don't try you will never know and probably go through the rest of your life wondering what if......I think you do need to decide though if you really really want another baby or just another DD, as swaying is likely to reduce your chances of conceiving at your age, but if you go all out to get pg, there is no reason that you can't have a final healthy pregnancy and baby at the end of it.....Good luck x

nuthinbutpink
November 17th, 2015, 06:59 AM
Was that for IVF? That seems very high. Our site that tracks all clinics here has the live birth rate at 4.4% over 42. 50% is higher than the national average for the youngest age group they track- under 35.

At 43, when you add gender selection, IVF is a big challenge. Most eggs are abnormal approaching 40.

I tell you this because you need to understand your real odds. My guess is that stat is with using donor eggs.

1moregirl
November 17th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Ever Hopeful - thanks soooo much for your reassuring words. Right now, the frame of my mind I am in, is that I will be doing a light sway. Last time, it was almost perfect (maybe overload) and ended in the miscarriage. I don't think it is such a great idea for DHS and DWs to be taking a lot of calcium, cranberry and magnesium plus all the other stuff as well. And yes - I would be prepared for either gender, as long as the baby was healthy is the main thing.

Nuthinbutpink - it's soooo hard to know what stats to go by when they seem to vary all over the place don't they? I was shocked I read somewhere that at have a 30% chance of a miscarriage, and when I was 40 I conceived our number three baby boy and had him 2 months before I turned 41. One miscarriage (when you've never had trouble conceiving or carrying a baby to full term) really gives one a rude awakening as to how complex the whole baby making process really is. I really would love to try again but just need to pluck up the courage. I can't work out how to post the link here but this is the web address if you'd like to take a look - ivf.com.au/about-fertility/about-miscarriages
It says there "After a woman has turned 43, there is a 50% chance the pregnancy will spontaneously miscarry."

1moregirl
November 17th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I'm also wondering if I should go to my doctor and get them to do the FSH and AMH blood tests to see what my numbers are?

nuthinbutpink
November 17th, 2015, 09:24 PM
For naturally conceived, I don't know what your chances are. Most eggs are abnormal so you're left with not conceiving or if you conceive and there is something not compatible with life, your body will do what it is supposed to do.

That stat is for once you conceive. That's a different stat than the act of conceiving.

I am not sure what the FSH or AMH will tell you. Age is the number one thing. I would not worry about your numbers and would just try. Pregnancy is possible until you enter menopause! You just need one good egg.

atomic sagebrush
November 18th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I feel like I've answered this question already and I'm going to skip it and allow others to share their experiences.

atomic sagebrush
November 18th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I'm also wondering if I should go to my doctor and get them to do the FSH and AMH blood tests to see what my numbers are?

Again - this is pointless because every woman on the planet will have dismal numbers at 43. It doesn't mean it can't happen, but your numbers will be terrible.

more pink
November 19th, 2015, 08:53 AM
I remember you said you just turned 44 years old . Your numbers will be greater for any risks out there and the doctor might discourage you .. So if you want to try for a baby maybe it's a good idea not to ask for thyself tests to be done :)
The fact is at the age of 35 every thing declines in the ovaries and even some women manage to carry a baby full term the risk is still there but at 43 /45 the risk is 60%

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

ever hopeful
November 19th, 2015, 09:01 AM
I think you just need to stop analysing and stressing about stats and give it a go - what will be, will be, but sadly there is nothing you can do about your age. You really won't know until you try and you might catch the golden egg next time, but the longer you wait, the lower your chances become. Good luck xx

atomic sagebrush
November 19th, 2015, 11:42 AM
:agree: totally and like I mentioned before the stats are really meaningless because they're based on the experiences of women that may not BE you. Like infertility patients (because having babies in the 40's wasn't common till recently and the majority of people who did so, had struggled wth fertility) and people with other health problems (chances of which increase with age) If you've had proven fertility in your 40's and you're healthy, the stats don't necessarily represent you.