PDA

View Full Version : older moms - must read article!

atomic sagebrush
December 13th, 2015, 12:26 PM
This is a much more factual article about the real possibilities of being a mom over 35, 38, and yes even over 40! It is not at all as dire as the "experts" like to make it sound, and while fertility does decline with age it is NOT this "flip of a switch" the way that doctors make it out to be.

How Long Can You Wait to Have a Baby? - The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/07/how-long-can-you-wait-to-have-a-baby/309374/)

XXforhubby
December 13th, 2015, 04:02 PM
This is extremely informative!

DS1[emoji125]🏼, DS2[emoji577], DS3[emoji170][emoji577][emoji843][emoji602][emoji170] Jan. '16 I'll sway for a DD[emoji166][emoji171][emoji166] for my DH!!

1moregirl
December 14th, 2015, 01:23 AM
A very interesting article. Thanks Atomic. :)

graysmama
January 17th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I had multiple people tell me when we started fertility treatments at 34 that I was already too old. I did miscarry last year but am currently 35 and 10 weeks pregnant. Hoping it's our girl but we found that I don't get pregnant unless sex happens right before ovulaton so who knows. But 35 wasn't a magical fertility off switch either.

1moregirl
January 18th, 2016, 01:03 AM
I didn't start having kids until my late 30s. I was 36, when I had my first (boy), 38 when I had my second (girl) and 40 (2 months shy of turning 41) when I had my third (another boy). I also conceived easily last year in June at 43, yet that ended in miscarriage. Am gearing up for another attempt this next cycle for what will be hopefully our last baby. :)

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2016, 11:18 AM
I had multiple people tell me when we started fertility treatments at 34 that I was already too old. I did miscarry last year but am currently 35 and 10 weeks pregnant. Hoping it's our girl but we found that I don't get pregnant unless sex happens right before ovulaton so who knows. But 35 wasn't a magical fertility off switch either.

:agree: SO many of us are told that!!! But just to reiterate what was in the article...that data that originally found a decline in fertility starting at 35 was from the !!!!! 1600's !!!! People were malnourished, STD's were endemic, women had to endure horrible obstetric procedures, it simply cannot even be compared to the present day. I don't think most doctors even KNOW where that data originally came from and just quote it as unquestioned gospel because they were taught that in medical school.

atomic sagebrush
January 20th, 2016, 11:25 AM
I didn't start having kids until my late 30s. I was 36, when I had my first (boy), 38 when I had my second (girl) and 40 (2 months shy of turning 41) when I had my third (another boy). I also conceived easily last year in June at 43, yet that ended in miscarriage. Am gearing up for another attempt this next cycle for what will be hopefully our last baby. :)

:agree: I had one at 21 and one at 25 (took 1 cycle and 2 cycles to conceive) then had one at 37 and one at 39 (took 2 cycles and 1 cycle to conceive LOL) then my daughter I had her at 42 and she took 6 cycles. Had two losses one with DS 4 (lost a twin) and then one between DS 4 and DD.

My mom and grandma had babies at 38. My stepmom and our neighbor had babies at 37. My husband's grandmas both had babies in their late 30's (one was 37 and I don't know the other's age but she was definitely over 35). My stepmom's mother had an oopsie at 45 (normal healthy baby) It is just totally overblown from what they claim.

atomic sagebrush
May 20th, 2016, 01:23 PM
bump since I have referenced this a lot lately

Walkerbabies
September 26th, 2020, 09:17 AM
Wow, loads of thanks for this atomic :)