PDA

View Full Version : Confused on O date

ksmom
December 29th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I can't figure out which day I ovulated. FF says cd22 but Ovusoft says cd20. If I have the setting on "advanced" on FF, it's cd22 but if I change it to "research" it's cd20. Last cycle and the cycle before I had a fallback rise so I'm trying to figure out if that's what happened this cycle as well. Don't know if it matters or not but I had bad O pains on cd21 (like a painful swollen feeling) then a little soreness in the AM on cd22, and cramping cd23.

has2gentlemen
December 29th, 2015, 01:59 PM
I'd agree with FF, based on your other signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
December 29th, 2015, 04:32 PM
Looks like CD 22 to me. But remember, the reason why we need 3 high temps to confirm O is because one off temp day can mess up the pattern.

purple
December 29th, 2015, 06:01 PM
Looks like CD22 to me too. I normally stick with Advanced mode in FF.

BunnyGirl19
December 29th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I agree with CD22 when all signs are taken into account.

ksmom
December 30th, 2015, 08:25 AM
Thanks ladies! The temp spike on cd21 had me confused but I was sick in the week leading up to O so that might have been the reason.

maidentomother
January 2nd, 2016, 11:53 AM
As I posted elsewhere, I REALLY think CD23 is most likely, with CD25 a more distant possibility. I don't think CD22 is impossible, but CD23 looks much more accurate IMO.

I have noticed FF gets O dates from more often than not lately, and it is unusual for O to occur on the day of one's lowest temp.

ksmom
January 2nd, 2016, 01:55 PM
Is the temp dip usually the day before ovulation then? I posted this on the TWW thread before I saw your response here but I agree, I think looking at temps and other fertility signs O was on CD23 especially since my CM really dried up by CD24. It's just I get thrown off with my OPKs being positive on CD20-21 then they were negative by the morning of CD22 so that's why I assumed before O was two days after my first pos. OPK. I know OPKs aren't as reliable though. I wish there was a way for FF to just look at temps like on Ovusoft because I feel like it's basing ovulation on CM, CP, and OPKs more than temps.

maidentomother
January 3rd, 2016, 03:24 AM
The lowest temp generally occurs anytime within a week before O, though there are certainly many exceptions. There's quite a bit of variation, as it all depends on your estrogen levels each cycle and how you respond to them.

I personally believe temps are the most reliable for determining O but do pay attention to the other fertility signs of course. I prefer FAM style charting. And OPKs really are not that helpful, in thst you can O several days after your first positive or not at all.

Notice FF got my O wrong too this cycle, I will switch to FAM mode or override after one more temp.

atomic sagebrush
January 3rd, 2016, 03:34 PM
Is the temp dip usually the day before ovulation then? I posted this on the TWW thread before I saw your response here but I agree, I think looking at temps and other fertility signs O was on CD23 especially since my CM really dried up by CD24. It's just I get thrown off with my OPKs being positive on CD20-21 then they were negative by the morning of CD22 so that's why I assumed before O was two days after my first pos. OPK. I know OPKs aren't as reliable though. I wish there was a way for FF to just look at temps like on Ovusoft because I feel like it's basing ovulation on CM, CP, and OPKs more than temps.

Many people get a temp dip the day of ovulation. Tamara used to say "by the time the temp rises, the egg is dead" and that is pretty much the conventional wisdom on that. Now personally, I don't put much stock into ANY one temp it's the 3 day patterns you're looking at. It may not be your lowest temp of the month, but if there is some sudden huge temp drop followed by a much higher temp (even if it's not sky high) followed by yet another higher temp after that, it does appear to me that the temp dip would be O day.

I had EWCM for 2-3 days after I ovulated with my daughter (and my O was confirmed by ultrasound so I KNOW). I do not find the CM patterns to be reliable at all becuase it really has NOTHING to do with ovulation itself, it's your estrogen that makes EWCM so if you made a lot and it took your body a day or two to clear it out, it's totally possible to have it after ovulation.

RE the OPK - the rate at which they go negative doesn't tell you anything concrete about when you Oed. You will ovulate an average of 36 hours after that first positive most of the time and it doesn't MATTER if the test is negative when O occurs. You can O and get positive tests for days after or you can have the test go negative right away and then still not O for a day after that. Again, it's about the rate at which your body gets rid of the

IT's been proven in studies that temping is only about 30ish% accurate for pinpointing day of O. CM/CP on its own, also about 30ish% accurate. Together, they are only about 60ish% accurate for pinpointing day of O. That means that 30-40% of the time, even taking temps and fertile signs TOGETHER, even highly trained experts cannot pin down the day of ovulation. It doesn't matter if its on FF or Ovusoft, the fact is that while natural family planning methods are good for preventing pregnancy and helping with conception, they just can't reliably pin down day of ovulation.

I think the temps and the OPK agree that you Oed on CD 22. But none of us know and it is NOT WORTH thinking and obsessing over. It makes no difference if you Oed on CD 22 or CD 23, it just doesn't mater.

ksmom
January 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Thanks Atomic. :) I know ultimately it doesn't really matter, I was just confused and wanted opinions because my temps were throwing me off. Either way, I'm 11-12dpo today which at least means my LP is long enough!

atomic sagebrush
January 4th, 2016, 09:14 PM
It's purdy!! :)