PDA

View Full Version : Anyone doing PGD in Australia

Liana2boys<3girl
January 8th, 2016, 03:43 AM
Hi - I have a few questions

What is the cost or PGD for genders selection in Australia?

Is there a healthy weight limit for IVF?

I have 2 wonderful boys who are on the Spectrum. My OB suggested that he could help us make a girl to decrease our chances of having another child with ASD - 70% chance of having another boy with ASD or just 10% if we have a girl.

I'm worried that my age and health condition will prevent me from falling pregnant as easy as I did in the past.

Ta

netti02
January 8th, 2016, 04:19 AM
As far as i know gender selection is not approved in Australia. It is under review however i have no idea when a decision is to be made

Mum to 4 Boys awaiting her Princess

nuthinbutpink
January 8th, 2016, 06:57 AM
If your local doctor said you can do it, do it! If your BMI is not in a healthy range, I would try and get it to where it is close to healthy before cycling. It decreases your IVF chances by 30%.

Nobody gets to cycle in australia because it is illegal. If he is offering to do it for genetic reasons, wouldn't it be covered like everything else is there??

Alias83
January 8th, 2016, 07:07 AM
It is not illegal in Aus if you have boys with asd, however I do not know what the costs would be and what is covered. Definitely speak further to your OB or get referral to a clinic for more info. If there is a health reason to do PGD it is allowed, and possibly Medicare may cover some of it?

My2Sons
January 8th, 2016, 02:54 PM
If you have medical conditions that allow for PGD then yes it is allowed in Australia. It will be the cost of an IVf cycle plus additional costs for PGD. You are best to contact the clinic your dr recommends (look into their stats) and go from there. Best of luck on your journey.

kc15880
January 11th, 2016, 08:40 AM
I am in the same boat. I have 2 boys & my first has just been diagnosed with autism in august 2015. I am also very keen on pgd but I am being blocked at every turn by the genetic counsellors in WA. It has been done before here in 2013 but I believe it was a contraversial decision which is why I am not having problems. I am terrified of having another child with autism & while I know its not a guarrantee its our best chance of lowering the odds of it happening again. which state are you in?

My2Sons
January 11th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I am in the same boat. I have 2 boys & my first has just been diagnosed with autism in august 2015. I am also very keen on pgd but I am being blocked at every turn by the genetic counsellors in WA. It has been done before here in 2013 but I believe it was a contraversial decision which is why I am not having problems. I am terrified of having another child with autism & while I know its not a guarrantee its our best chance of lowering the odds of it happening again. which state are you in?

I would recommend travelling to another state and seeing councillors there that will be more open to approval. The cost will be around the same but you'll need to include travel expenses.

kc15880
July 20th, 2016, 04:25 AM
Hi all, just to let you know, that after a long 11 month process we got refused for IVF PGD in WA. (We have a son with autism) I didnt expect the process to take so long & it was very frustrating. Goodluck to anyone else trying to apply!

familymatters
July 25th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Hi all, just to let you know, that after a long 11 month process we got refused for IVF PGD in WA. (We have a son with autism) I didnt expect the process to take so long & it was very frustrating. Goodluck to anyone else trying to apply!
That's really disappointing kc15880, sorry to hear that

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

4BOYS
July 25th, 2016, 02:42 AM

That sucks ,But WA is very strict ,try NSW you will have no issues

annen
August 3rd, 2016, 08:59 PM

I am really surprised I got approved by 2 different clinics very easily in Sydney for the same reason

annen
August 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM
Congratulations what does FET mean? Do you mind me asking did you get all of one gender embryos during your cycles. I have just finished cycle 2 and both cycles we have only got male embyros?

kc15880
August 8th, 2016, 08:44 AM
I was told by a clinic here in WA, that at 35yrs they would need at least 10 embryos to get one possible to transfer (given that they wouldnt implant a XY - that automatically ruled out around half the batch). Goodluck on your journey!

nuthinbutpink
August 8th, 2016, 09:13 AM
Congratulations what does FET mean? Do you mind me asking did you get all of one gender embryos during your cycles. I have just finished cycle 2 and both cycles we have only got male embyros?

How many embryos did you get at ER? How many fertilized? Were there any unhealthy females? Just the males were healthy?

When you lose half your embryos due to gender, you cut your odds quite a bit. Like the pp says, the number of embryos you start with plays a big part in the gender split at the end.

annen
August 11th, 2016, 08:15 AM
cycle 1- 2 embryos and cycle 2 - 3 embryos which have all been male

Is this bad or good? Doctors trying to tell me its good results and to keep trying

glory
August 24th, 2016, 11:25 PM

Perth is very, very strict for approval for PGD, the head of the AMA is a WA man and is very against GS as well. Your best bet is to go to Sydney, people with autistic children get approved quite readily there. I used Genea and see the female genetic councillor.

Good luck.

3boysclub
October 4th, 2016, 10:53 PM
[QUOTE=Liana2boys- how was your OB going to help you conceive a girl? Did he say ivf was the only guaranteed option?

kc15880
March 13th, 2019, 09:10 AM
Time for a update. After being refused IVF PGD in 2015 in WA we have now been accepted at genea in sydney. (background 0 DS1 has autism & DS3 (16months) is showing some early signs). Im almost 39 & terrified that I have wasted so much precious fertility time. Ive had all my pretesting done & now just waiting for my next medical appointment when we will start to plan what next & discuss treatments & chance of success. :nails: Its going to be hard travelling & we have decided not to take our 2 eldest out of school for the first trip to sydney. We arent telling anyone what we are doing so we are using the excuse that hubby is going for work (which he has done previously) & I am going too. Very nervous as we have never left our boys anywhere not even for 1 night. I will keep you all posted.

ID Twins + singleton boys
May 28th, 2019, 10:20 AM
I am really surprised I got approved by 2 different clinics very easily in Sydney for the same reason

Hi, sorry
I know this was a while ago, but how did you get approved?
I’m going through it all now
Thank you :)

kc15880
July 17th, 2019, 09:56 AM
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YRZKTDT?fbclid=IwAR1T7awHf6dfBvxoSe1gwVM6cROqCRLc8 xg2bCxz4SqpE2oXMt7Ru1XbV7k

There is a survey at the moment for mums in australia wanting to legalise GS here. it is completely anonymous. Please complete if you can

kc15880
July 17th, 2019, 10:10 AM
Hi - yes we got approval. Finally got our girl frozen from our last cycle. Hoping to transfer her in december,