PDA

View Full Version : Cervical concerns...

twointow83
January 11th, 2016, 08:52 PM
So, for those who don't know I've had 2 D&C's in the last year. Since my last one, or at least since I've been checking my CP as I didn't check for a long time following my latest loss, my cervix remain partially open pretty much all the time. This presents a difficulty with charting but more importantly it concerns me on a basic mechanical level. I've had a vaginal stillbirth where babg and bag delivered intact and THAT didn't stretch out my cervical opening. My first D&C didn't cause any issues, but suddenly it won't close completely. My doctor assured me when I asked him months ago about the effect of forcing the cervix open and subsequent pregnancy issues that they dilated me so little that it wouldn't cause an issue but since this last D&C my cervix seems to be singing a different tune and it has me concerned. Any "been there done that, turned out fine" stories would be greatly appreciated. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated as well.

purple
January 11th, 2016, 09:31 PM
I know it is normal to be slightly open after a vaginal birth. Mine feels slightly open all the time but I have had 2 vaginal births and 2 d&cs. My 2nd child was after my first d&c but I can't remember what my cervix was like then.

twointow83
January 11th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I know it's normal post vag birth... but mine closed just fine after my one and only vag birth. That what has me so stumped and concerned :(

purple
January 11th, 2016, 09:41 PM
I have a feeling mine was closed after my first birth bith I have had the 2 d&cs and 9lb baby since then. I would guess the opening and closing would cause it.

maidentomother
January 12th, 2016, 04:26 AM
I've had 2 D&Cs almost exactly 2 years apart, neither had much of an effect on my cervix. I've also has my cervix dilated 2x for the insertion and removal of my German copper IUD. My cervix is only very slightly less open than before my first D&C. But as I've never given birth, I'm not sure how relevant my experience is?

has2gentlemen
January 12th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Have they verified you have no scar tissue on your cervix or checked to make sure it's only open at the bottom? When I had my d&c, the dilation rods left slight scar tissue that prevented the lower end closing completely (feels like it's always 1-2cm dilated), but had no effect on the upper opening, and I've been told that as long as the upper part of your cervix is remaining closed, it will have no effect on pregnancy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twointow83
January 12th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Have they verified you have no scar tissue on your cervix or checked to make sure it's only open at the bottom? When I had my d&c, the dilation rods left slight scar tissue that prevented the lower end closing completely (feels like it's always 1-2cm dilated), but had no effect on the upper opening, and I've been told that as long as the upper part of your cervix is remaining closed, it will have no effect on pregnancy.

No. This is something I've just recently noticed. I don't know about cms but mine feels about as open as it gets around O but all the time now. I noticed it last cycle but last cycle was weird all together and it did eventually close to about *my* medium but a day or 2 later it was back to open again. If there is an issue they have until 12 weeks to find it and fix it, right? Nothing would happen before then right? I am thinking about asking for a cerclage just so I can relax and not worry about it...

🙏 for a healthy 🌈 🚼
TwoInTow83 Ovulation charts on FertilityFriend.com (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/TwoInTow83)

has2gentlemen
January 12th, 2016, 01:39 PM
2cm is about a fingertip, but when the cervix is soft, poking too much to measure it can cause it to dilate more.

I know here they won't do a cerclage unless you are actively dilating/funneling at your anatomy scan, so they'd check you by ultrasound and decide next steps then. But your best bet would be to alert your doctor as soon as you get a bfp that your cervix feels open, so that they can do an internal exam and decide if you need an ultrasound to measure the internal os. Usually dilation isn't an issue until the baby starts putting weight on the cervix, then if you're internally dilated, you run the risk of infection or prolapse.

atomic sagebrush
January 12th, 2016, 07:54 PM
I advise leaving it alone. I know that a lot of people use it as a method of natural family planning but I just feel like the more you mess with it, the more "annoyed" it seems to get.

I agree you should definitely mention it. I will say that after my first 2 pregnancies, my cervix closed very tight and I was only dilated to .5 cm 5 days overdue with DS 3. By the time #5 came around, I was 2 in my first trimester, then walking around at 3-4 for the last couple months of pregnancy. So at least for me, age and cumulative stretching did seem to eventually cause it to stay more open. But it didn't happen right away. So I could see how it might take some time to catch up to you, but at the same time definitley worthy of a mention.

twointow83
January 12th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Thanks ladies. I will definitely bring it up to him. He already knows I am an anxious, paranoid mess when it comes to pregnancy, lol, so it probably won't surprise him :giggle:

Oddly enough just now I remembered that I have brought it up with him. It was when I was still preg after the D&C and everything in my last preg. I remember my cervix hurting so I checked it to see what was going on with it and it was open then too. I brought it up with him at my next appt but I don't remember what he said about it.... I think I recorded the appt. (I recorded most appts in case I got too upset to retain information, so I could go back and listen to anything I might have missed) so I may listen to my recordings to find out if I did tomorrow. My phone is on charge right now and it's getting late and everyone is asleep so I don't want to wake anyone.

atomic sagebrush
January 14th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Oh good idea - if they LET you do it!!! Some docs are really weird about that. :/