PDA

View Full Version : Ovulation question!

LinzNicuRN
January 19th, 2016, 12:36 AM
Hi there,
I hope this is the correct place to post this. I am a mom of two beautiful boys and hoping to TTC a daughter in July/August. We conceived both our boys on the first try using OPK. I did BBT and OPK and typically ovulate on day 13 or 14. I conceived my second son when I got a positive OPK and DTD that evening..me on top, no O. I was pretty much using shettles and thought I had 24-36 hours after it said positive. Which of course resulted in my second beautiful baby boy! This is my first cycle off BCP and my cycle began on Jan. 3rd. I started testing on cycle day 11. I received negative OPK on day 11,12, 13, and 14..( I work nights as an RN and tested the following morning..if that matters) however I had a lot of EWCM on days 12 and 13. I did not get a positive until this morning (after 11 hours of sleep) which was CD 15. I feel like in the past my ovulation always went with the EW cervical mucus or creamy fluid..which today (when the OP was positive, was greatly diminished?) I have felt a lot of pain on my left side and cramping and bloating bilaterally since day 12..and today..day 15 I feel much better..less abdominal bloating and pretty much back to normal? Ihs e always been able to feel what side I ovulate from, but this time the crampiness and discomfort was really noticeable. I do have a history of small ovarian cysts, but they have never affected my fertility. Can someone help me out here? Obviously I was off on timing with my last son..bc I work 3 nights a week I can't really check my temperature in the morning..I plan on reducing to PT 2 nights a week in March..but will still be tricky with charting. I wasn't working nights with the boys conceptions so I'm just trying to figure this out so I can plan accordingly when we try this summer. Any advice on timing with OPK would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maidentomother
January 19th, 2016, 03:55 PM
I would definitely go by the OPK and assume you Oed around CD16. O pain and CM are NEVER completely reliable, and even less so coming off BC and when swaying. It is extremely common for fertile CM to start drying up days in advance of O, so obviously in advance of OPK happens too.

Mannnny pink swayers who were super regular before swaying have noticed big changes in their CM amount, type, and pattern, when they O (can be early or late but late is more common), how long their LP is, how long/heavy AF is, and overall increased cycle irregularity.

Some women find they don't get positive OPKs, or bc their cycles have become (more) unpredictable, it is stressful to use them and difficult to catch their surges. Thus why atomic came up with the BD every 4 day method, so you're covered no matter what with effectively just one attempt in your fertile period. Since OPKs are still working well for you I would continue to use them, as they generally allow for better timing of your one attempt. Just keep the above in mind if things change up, which they may well!

There are tons and tons of related/similar threads on this topic (some visible at bottom of page if you're on a proper computer), and atomic also wrote a whole book on using OPKs and swaying which she sells on this site, if you want more info.

LinzNicuRN
January 19th, 2016, 10:07 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the info. I went ahead and tested this morning CD 17 just to see and it was negative..this makes me feel like the smiley face was for sure accurate on CD 16 or perhaps even the eve of 15th. I'm just happy my body snapped back into action the first cycle after being on BCP the last few years. [emoji4]

atomic sagebrush
January 21st, 2016, 07:14 PM
EWCM and O pain doesn't predict ovulation. You can get either of them many days before O and even a few days after sometimes. OR, many of us have noticed that EWCM even dries up right before ovulation some months. I have gotten EWCM and O pain (I hesitate to call it that since I was so far from O, but that is exactly what it was) as early as CD 3 and as late as 3 days after ovulation sometimes with EWCM, O pain even longer. EVen if your cycle has been identical every month of your life, it can change at any point and swaying may exacerbate this, as may coming off the BCP.

You weren't off on timing with your son, it doesn't work. :) I have 4 timing opposites and a wild card that I don't know when I conceived him. It's fine to give it a try if you want to, but just don't think "oh that's why I got a boy, because I messed up timing" it just doens't work. http://genderdreaming.com/forum/gender-swaying-general-discussion/7691-trouble-timing.html

THUS, to answer your question in a roundabout way, I honestly don't know when you ovulated, but I agree with maiden's take on that that it was most likely CD 16.

LinzNicuRN
February 6th, 2016, 01:04 AM
Atomic! You are amazing. 5 star reply!! This post is long, but please read as I really enjoyed the timing article..and I believe MANY are in my shoes with this. It makes SOOO much sense now. When trying to conceive our second child, (using shettles)..like so many, completely unaware of how painfully antiquated the research was. I was timing, charting, temping, cervical mucus analyzing, (for 4 LONG months before) , literally dropping it in water to try and tell the difference between CM and semen. [emoji15] Not to mention, driving my husband insane, treating him, no doubt, like a stud horse. All happening with a 2 year old boy at home..learning to potty train, eating high protein, building lots of muscle..lol..can you say boy sway?! By the time it was actually "time" to baby dance I was so stressed out I just threw in the towel and did it the evening the opk was positive. I was on full force RX prenatals for 3 months before with loads of omega 3's! Not to mention taking robatussin to make more cervical mucus. Our sweet DS #2 was conceived with that attempt. I wish all the dr shettles info out there would simultaneously burst into flames. There are thousands of women still out there reading and trusting that crap!! I'm all in atomic. I work as an RN, research is my friend. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for 6 years prior to becoming an RN..clinical trials with legit data and n= greater than 10 is breath of fresh air. Ladies, anyone who backs up their experience with real data and science is a winner in my book. Thank you Jesus for guiding me to this site. I can't wait to buy my personalized plan next month. So pumped now! Thanks again Atomic. In the end, I pray for another healthy baby..but I want the most trust worthy sway to honestly say we tried..if we get a boy..he will fit in nicely with my other two angels that completely have my whole heart. I DEF swayed boy on both of them..without even knowing what I was doing. Excited to "pray and sway" for some pink this summer. I truly believe God works in mysterious ways and perhaps finding this little honest site in the sea of lies on the Internet is all part of his plan..either way, I love it here. ❤️

atomic sagebrush
February 6th, 2016, 01:05 PM
I do too (wish the Dr. Shettles stuff would burst into flames) and the thing is that I KNOW if Dr. S was alive today, he would be the most vocal coming out to say he was wrong about timing because we know now it just can't work. It isn't his fault that it turned out to be untrue, he did the best he could with the info available to him 50 years ago, and it isn't his fault that people keep dredging it up again and again. But it just doesn't work. Most of us on here have 2,3,4 or more Shettles opposites. :)

Thanks for your kind words!! :) We can do this, and just like you say no matter what you win - a girl, or another awesome little dude to love. :)