PDA

View Full Version : DH's semen analysis is in.....it's bad. Anyone have any low count miracle recipes?

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 01:57 PM
So, they said a normal count is between 40-60 million. His is below 2 million, and they told me he needs to see a urologist and this is exactly why we aren't conceiving. :worry:

Anyone have a similar issue and know of something that helped, a drug or herb or vitamin, maybe a witch doctor?

lightofmylife
September 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
ohhh im soooo sory Lola :(((( , are these sperm healthy ?? my brother has very low sperm count and also with some head damaged and low motility :(, they suggested him IVF ................... urologist is good idea though.

nuthinbutpink
September 15th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Well, do you have Infertility benefits? That would qualify you. HT guys take something like Fertility Blend for Men from GNC. Dr Potter recommended another one. I would start that ASAP. Definitely see the doc though.

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Unfortunately, my insurance doesn't cover infertility. He's been taking a slew of supplements for well over 6 months now, many for a year. I can't even imagine how bad his count would be without that, ya know? I don't know, I'm just devastated. I just did some research and it seems that at that level, they recommend IVF with ICSI....especially when DW, me, is 35 and doesn't have all the time in the world. And I can't afford it at all. I wonder how he got me pg the last 2 times, although they were early m/c and blighted ovum?

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Light, they didn't have the whole report in on the blood cells, etc, so she would only tell me his count is severely low.

Flava
September 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Lola- Im so sorry for the low numbers. try the fertility blend what NBP said anyway! You got pregnant 2 times already so it can work right? At least you know that there is nothing wrong with you and you don't need clomid and all the extra stuff so you can relax on that side.

begonia
September 15th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Oh Lola. Oh goodness. I really didn't expect this. I mean we knew the dance-belt thing wasn't ideal, but wow. And with all the supps he's been on too. So the doc's only thought was urologist? What would that be able to do? Just confirm it or potentially find a way to help it?

Well, hun, at least you can quit kicking yourself for your age, etc since clearly you were facing other obstacles you didn't even know about. The good news (I always have to try to find some, I know it can be annoying ;)) IMO is now you know what's up. Now it's a matter of figuring out what can help. So I'm super curious to know what the urologist might be able to do/find ...

Crazy though that 2 million swimmers isn't enough :( So with low count did they have a thought on the frequency you BD?

HUGS lady. Oh how much I wish this could be easier for you!!!!

zanacal
September 15th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I'm so sorry for the bad news Lola, of course you're devestated. I happened to see that Dr Potter started a thread in the 'ask the expert' section, wanting to compare notes with Dr H re male fertility supplements. Might be worth seeking out. It is interesting that he got you pregnant twice before though isn't it? {hugs}

begonia
September 15th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I wonder how he got me pg the last 2 times, although they were early m/c and blighted ovum?

I mean clearly it isn't impossible with low count ... it just means it will likely take longer, right? I'm just wondering since you'll O again soon if they had any recommendations you could implement NOW to help with this cycle. I think the Clomid and Estra-whatever can't hurt ... how much longer did you plan on trying those out? I know the E is new this cycle, and this is round 3 Clomid, right?

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone. Well, the doctor didn't say anything about any of that. It was really a conversation based on telling me that I would probably never get pregnant by this man naturally. He had a 48 hour cutoff between releases for the SA, so that would be the optimal one also. They do say on the low count sites that to abstain is NOT a good idea at all, that low count guys should release every other day at least.

Only thing a urologist can do is look to see if he has a varocele or infection or something causing it, but there really is little they can do realistically with this low of a count. I guess we'll go ahead and send him, but I can't imagine what help it would be. I could start him on the naturally smart vitamins or fertility blend or whatever, but he's taken the same ingredients for over 6 months now, so I think what he's working with now is the best he's going to get, but maybe I'm wrong.

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM
I mean clearly it isn't impossible with low count ... it just means it will likely take longer, right? I'm just wondering since you'll O again soon if they had any recommendations you could implement NOW to help with this cycle. I think the Clomid and Estra-whatever can't hurt ... how much longer did you plan on trying those out? I know the E is new this cycle, and this is round 3 Clomid, right?

Yep, we will still try, of course. I can't take Clomid much longer, the max is 6 months because it starts to damage your lining if taken longer than that. And if you aren't getting pg with Clomid, odds are you have a male factor issue, which VOILA, I freaking do now. I guess I shouldn't lose all hope, we did have those two m/c......I just don't know what to do.

begonia
September 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I would go ahead and see what the urologist finds.

And you're right you know ... you need to keep some hope because yes, he has gotten you pg twice. Just keep pumping him full of vitamins, and BD every 48, and eventually it will happen. I mean honestly, it could still happen this month or next month or much sooner than you think. His count is low but you have to remember it only takes ONE sperm to do the trick.

begonia
September 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Freaking dance belt, BTW! When he got you pg before were times that he wasn't having to wear it as much, right?

And am I correct in remembering he got you pg once loooong ago, like before or right after you were married and we're even really TTC? Just thinking about it in terms of the odds you're up against ... and realistically, even with low count, you've had some success getting sperm to meet egg. Now with all the supps built up we have to hope that next time it's a sticky one :pray:

XXdreaming
September 15th, 2011, 03:35 PM
I am so sorry lola :( I agree with everyone else it is possible to get pregnant, I know they ended in m/c but a sperm made it to the egg and fertilized it, so the dr saying its impossible is wrong imo, you got 2 pregnancies that a sperm made it to the egg and fertilized it so there is hope that it can happen again and be healthy *hugs*

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Yes, Begonia, you are right. We had an oops when we had been dating for a couple of months, and I could not deal with that in the way I wished I could have. YKWIM. So, you are right, it may not be as bleak as I'm thinking right now.....

I don't know if the dancebelt is the big factor though....we ttc for 3 months now post m/c when he was not wearing it at all and nothing.

swish
September 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I'm so sorry, Lola, lots of love and hugs to you, I hope you can work it out, xxx

DoulaMama
September 15th, 2011, 03:50 PM
:( I'm so sorry Lola! I am in agreement with Begonia and the others- I think you still have a really good chance at getting pregnant. A really close of friend of mine had her hubby send in a SA and it came back under 1 million. He took all the supps for 6 months and did another SA and it came back under 2 million. They crossed their fingers and just kept doing everything possible- hips elavated, preseed etc and after 16 months they were pregnant:) The Dr had told them it was sperm donor or IVF and he was shocked when he found out that DH had gotten her pregnant.

I'm sorry that you feel so down and lost with what to do:( Hugs hugs from me and I'm sending every ounce of baby dust your way~~~~ Keep the hope alive, Hun xoxox

lindi
September 15th, 2011, 05:00 PM
I am so sorry Lola! I am not a doctor and maybe this is a totally stupid idea, but if IVF is totally too much $, IUI is much less expensive- maybe they could get a few round of DH's semen frozen, and then combine several batches for one shot? That would at least give you a better shot and its much less expensive I think?

Hobbermittens
September 15th, 2011, 05:28 PM
I am so sorry Lola! I am not a doctor and maybe this is a totally stupid idea, but if IVF is totally too much $, IUI is much less expensive- maybe they could get a few round of DH's semen frozen, and then combine several batches for one shot? That would at least give you a better shot and its much less expensive I think?

That is a great idea!

Lola, I am so sorry! I honestly didn't think the results would be so bad. :( But the ray of hope is that you have been pg from DH before, and it can happen again! This has to be so hard for you. I wish I could help you somehow. :( Try that vitamin that Dr. Potter recommends. Maybe it has something special in it that DH hasn't been taking?

I hope the urologist has some ideas.

Sending you big hugs! I am really, really sorry this is happening to you!

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks everyone. Lindi, I keep reading that clinics won't even let you do an IUI at that level.....usually if it's under 5million, they send you straight to the IVF clinic, for ICSI. BUT, you all are right, and DM, thanks for sharing that story....I think my only option at this point is to give DH the Naturally Smart vits or something similar, and just keep at it. Unfortunately, I think I may need to drop swaying....or at least just go to normal healthy me without the massive amount of high-everything diet food. We will hit the urologist soon and see if there is something fixable that is wrong. Again, thanks everyone. I am just so crushed, this was the LAST thing I expected to hear also. My poor DH is so sad also. I can tell he feels really bad, even though I have assured him that there is no fault here, ya know.

Hobbermittens
September 15th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Your poor DH. I hope he can try to feel better. I know men are really sensitive about that stuff and take it as a sign of manhood or whatever. He is lucky he has an awesome wife like you, who loves him no matter what!! Maybe he does have an infection or something. When will you find that out?

LolaInLove
September 15th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Well, we have to wait till we get a copy of the full report in the next few days, then find a good reproductive urologist and ge an appt. Then some more testing, I'm gathering. But we will still try in the meantime. I know, he is a really sensitive one, too. I know he's taking it really hard.

TTC5
September 15th, 2011, 10:38 PM
Want to send you some of these my friend xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

shouldihope?
September 16th, 2011, 08:23 AM
So sorry you are going through this. We found out before DS1 that hubby had a low count for a varicocele. They told us he would likely need surgery. A couple days later we found out we were pregnant.

LolaInLove
September 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
So sorry you are going through this. We found out before DS1 that hubby had a low count for a varicocele. They told us he would likely need surgery. A couple days later we found out we were pregnant.

Wow, thanks for sharing! Do you remember what his count was?

lightofmylife
September 16th, 2011, 12:23 PM
as we all know its only one sperm we need to meet egg but that shud b healthy ( fertility blend is best for health and motility of sperms), thats the reason u got prag and m/c...... u r right they dont do IUI with low count here but even if they wud do as in many countries that results in no pragnancy , my brother has done 3 IUI's.... LOla dear u really need not b worried so much as u got prag with this man so obv there is strong hope,
the doc also told that sumtime it just takes time and miraculously u got prag even u dont expect.... they also suggest that man should be calm and stress free, ur dh need ur love and support at this time ,,

WashingtonPromise
September 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM
as we all know its only one sperm we need to meet egg but that shud b healthy ( fertility blend is best for health and motility of sperms), thats the reason u got prag and m/c...... u r right they dont do IUI with low count here but even if they wud do as in many countries that results in no pragnancy , my brother has done 3 IUI's.... LOla dear u really need not b worried so much as u got prag with this man so obv there is strong hope,
the doc also told that sumtime it just takes time and miraculously u got prag even u dont expect.... they also suggest that man should be calm and stress free, ur dh need ur love and support at this time ,,

Well said!!! It is times like these I thank God we have internet, at least there are some good stories to encourage you. Too bad IVF didn't have some guarantee.

LolaInLove
September 16th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Light. I have been really loving to him yesterday and today, and he knows I am not feeling like he is a failure or anything. I'm hoping all of you ladies are right and sometime we will have a little miracle kid. Gotta just try at least. I did order Naturally Smart vitamins for him, the ones Dr. Potter recommends on the HT boards.

Thanks for your encouragement, everyone!!! xxoo

shouldihope?
September 16th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Can't remember what his count was for sure. It was less than half of average, "normal" count. My B.I.L. had a low count and motility and I think they put him on Clomid and other hormones that greatly increased his count as well. Hope you get some answers soon.

Zivic-Bubac
September 17th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Lola huni, many hugs to you :hug2: I just saw this and I'm so sorry I didn't see it earlier :sad:

I agree with other girls and things might not be that bad as they look right now:

1. he got you pg like 3 times right? the only conclusion is that he'll get you pg again

2. no matter how low count sperm have, I agree with Light, we only need 1 sperm

3. keep the good work with his supps esp CoQ-10 100mg which you already know :happy:

4. it's good to know what might be the issue so you can focus on it and find a solution

5. it's good to know you don't need Clomid and you are 100% OK

6. my brother had low sperm count (oligospermia) due to varicocoela ( like shoulihope's DH) dr told him operation is an imperativ if he's planning to have children, guess what: his girlfriend was already pg with my lil' nephew ( he is 3.5 now) and they got married eventually and my SIL is due with another boy TODAY! (although the baby will probably take his time lol!)

oh, the most important: he never went to surgery :rofl: I'll ask him about his numbers :agree:

7. lindi's idea is great Imo, if it can be done technically of course

Hugs and kisiz, chin up, you know EVERYTHING is ALWAYS possible, I pray 4th time is a charm for you guys! :wink: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Freya
September 17th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad news Lola, and I really hope you can find a way to get pg anyway :fingers: . You managed before, so I think there is good hope still! You know when I got pregnant, DH had been on Pycnogenol for three months, the exact time it takes to improve sperm quality according to the studies, so I'm not sure whether that helped us or not, but I definately think all male nutrients must be a help. Don't forget they improve the quality of the existing sperm as well, so even if you just get 2 million hard fighters there you're in for a much better chance than 2 million of the usual quality. The reason for the needed high sperm count is that only a small proportion have enough energy and are capable of swimming well enough to make it, so maybe those nutrients will really make a difference! Thinking of you! xxxxx

LolaInLove
September 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks Freya and ZB for the hopeful stories! Our strategy now is the super vitamins (Naturally Smart) that Dr. Potter recommends, which have like 50 things in them, so we will see how that helps. ZB, that is interesting to know they got pg with the varicocele thing and twice too.......

Again, I really appreciate everyone's love and advice....you ladies are fabulous!

Zivic-Bubac
September 19th, 2011, 03:50 PM
You are fabulous Lola :HH:

shouldihope?
September 19th, 2011, 07:12 PM
My DH never had surgery for his varicocele and I am pregnant for the 4th time now so you never know. Praying for a healthy little one for you. Good luck.

My Fabulous Children
September 20th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Hi Lola, I just saw this now, I am so very sorry hun, but I agree with others. Remember that it only takes one sperm to make a baby, keep your thoughts positive (no matter what).Believe miracles could happen. Sending you lots of love and gentle hugs :awe:

Foxy
September 20th, 2011, 05:16 AM
I'm sorry, hun. :( I hope the vitamins helps improve his count. If he got you pg 4 times he can do it again! Hang in there!

LolaInLove
September 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Thank you, ZB!!!! And shouldihope, that is good to hear. Thanks everyone for your hugs and support!!!! Good to see you again too, MFC!

tinksmagic
January 4th, 2012, 01:44 PM
My son is convinced Maca Root is a good way to go. I'd never heard of it before but hubby is trying it anyway. My son gave him a jar of it for Christmas. We're still doing IVF but this is our "out" for our "oopsie".

LolaInLove
January 4th, 2012, 03:07 PM
My son is convinced Maca Root is a good way to go. I'd never heard of it before but hubby is trying it anyway. My son gave him a jar of it for Christmas. We're still doing IVF but this is our "out" for our "oopsie".

Hey there! Maca is supposed to be good for that....its a superfood. I am pretty sure it's one of the ingredients in my DH's fertility vitamins. Does your DH have low count? I go up and down about ivf, but we have really come to the conclusion that we can't afford it anytime soon, and with my age, that is a bad thing (I'll be 36 in a couple of weeks). I'd so love to see you get an oopsie!

tinksmagic
January 5th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Hey there! Maca is supposed to be good for that....its a superfood. I am pretty sure it's one of the ingredients in my DH's fertility vitamins. Does your DH have low count? I go up and down about ivf, but we have really come to the conclusion that we can't afford it anytime soon, and with my age, that is a bad thing (I'll be 36 in a couple of weeks). I'd so love to see you get an oopsie!

Thank you! Hubby isn't the problem, oddly enough, he's superman in that department (and he'll be the first to tell you!, lol). I'm the broken one. After 4 kids, I can no longer get preggers on my own (thyroidectomy and badly scarred/missing tubes ~ still unsure what's going on with them!!!).
Hubby is taking the maca anyway (hoping to enforce healthy squirmy worms) since our last cycle resulted in m/c (unsure why too, he just was so small!). Since I have adult children who just don't understand why we want 2 more, we're using the maca as our excuse as to why we got preggers (hoping that we do, in fact!!!).

purplepoet20
January 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
I have heard of Maca Root working really well along with a high protein and Omega 3..... here is a little info I copied from What to Expect, I don't know how up to date it is but it is a good read and if you add it to everything else then maybe the next 1-2mths will bring you a peanut. Sorry if this is to long....

Natural Fertility Treatment: Hypnosis
The lowdown: If images of a magician’s act come to mind when you think of hypnosis, then it’s time to reframe how you think about this form of trained concentration. Hypnosis is now being taught at major medical schools and is officially sanctioned by the American Medical Association. It’s used to treat a range of conditions, such as anxiety, eating disorders, and, yes, fertility. Experts think it can enhance fertility by promoting relaxation, which may help prime the body for baby making — especially if stress or anxiety has been standing in the way of your pregnancy plans. How does stress interfere with fertility? Stress creates a fight-or-flight response that tells the body to release stress hormones such as cortisol, which in turn upsets the hormonal balance needed for ovulation, fertilization, and implantation of an egg. It follows then, that decreasing stress through hypnosis can be a major fertility booster. And research bears this out: Studies show that when women were hypnotized during IVF procedures (to reduce stress), their rates of conception were dramatically improved. If hypnosis sounds like something you might want to try, you can learn the technique with a therapist or you can try it on your own with hypnosis CDs or DVDs.
The caveats: While the research on hypnosis and fertility is promising, it is also limited — which means it’s unclear whether it’ll be effective for you. You’d be smart not to pin your hopes on hypnosis, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give it a try. It won’t harm you or your chances of getting pregnant. The worst-case scenario is that you commit some time and money getting spellbound to no avail.
Natural Fertility Treatment: Relaxation techniques
The lowdown: Beyond hypnosis, other mind-body relaxation techniques such as meditation, guided visualization, yoga, and even talk therapy (one-on-one with a counselor or in a support group) can help relieve stress. And since stress is known to interfere with fertility (some research shows that women with depressive symptoms are half as likely to conceive as women who are not depressed), any of these stress-busting methods may help you get in a baby-making frame of mind (and body!).
The caveats: While mind-body relaxation techniques are certainly a positive way to go, if you’re over 35 and you find that it’s taking you longer than six months to get pregnant, or you’re younger than 35 and you’ve been trying to conceive (TTC) for longer than a year, you’d be wise to talk with your practitioner about your options beyond natural fertility treatments. You won’t want to delay finding other help that could get you on the baby bandwagon, even if you are lowering your stress levels while you wait.
Natural Fertility Treatment: Acupuncture
The lowdown: You probably know that acupuncture involves inserting tiny, thin needles into specific points in the body. But you may not know how being turned into a pincushion can help cure what ails you. According to traditional Chinese medicine, the needles unblock energy (or chi) and increase blood flow to promote a state of balance in the body. According to Western doctors, the needles stimulate the nervous system to release chemicals that help alleviate pain and promote healing. (MRIs even show that acupuncture has an effect in the brain.) Where fertility is concerned, acupuncture may improve blood supply to reproductive organs, stimulate hormones, regulate ovulation, and decrease stress — all of which may help increase your chances of getting pregnant. For this reason, acupuncture is one of the most popular natural fertility treatments — and not just for women. For men, it may increase sperm quality and count. Acupuncture can be a treatment in and of itself or it can be part of a holistic treatment plan that may include herbs, nutritional counseling, or other holistic techniques.
The caveats: While some research does point to acupuncture’s success in boosting fertility (including studies showing that acupuncture helps increase the success rates of IVF), it’s not a sure thing. Experts debate its merits and not all studies show that it’s effective on the fertility front. Plus, in order for it to have a chance at working, you’ll likely need to have regular acupuncture sessions, which can be pricey. But if you’re willing to invest the time and money, it may be worth a shot (or a poke!). Just be sure to choose a reputable acupuncturist and discuss any herbal supplements with your practitioner.
Natural Fertility Treatment: Chiropractic
The lowdown: Some research indicates that chiropractic (the manipulation of the spine and other areas of the body) may enhance fertility. How? The nerves to the reproductive system run through the spine — and if those nerves are misaligned, manipulating the spine may help improve hormone balance and improve the chances of getting pregnant.
The caveats: Research on chiropractic and fertility is still new, so there’s no guarantee that it will work. Plus, as you might imagine, chiropractic could be dangerous in the hands of the wrong practitioner. Making spinal adjustments is a very tricky business, so you’ll want to be sure to get a referral to a reputable chiropractor.
Male Fertility
• De-stress your guy. Stress can interfere with the production of sperm (not to mention make sex a lot less fun — or nonexistent), so help your guy relax. Make sure he gets enough sleep and regular exercise (but no ultra marathons — excessive exercise has been shown to decrease testosterone levels, which in turn lowers male fertility). And have him try some relaxation exercises like meditation or deep breathing — or give him a massage (added benefit — it may put him in the mood for some lovin’).
• Turn off the heat (not that heat!). Saunas, steam rooms, and hot tubs can raise your man’s body temperature temporarily — lowering the number and quality of his sperm. So keep your guy out of the heat (and keep that electric blanket off-limits for now, too). Another hot spot that may have an effect on male fertility: Your guy’s laptop computer. Research shows that when men place laptops directly on their laps, it can increase the temperature of the scrotum and decrease sperm production. So when your man is busy on his laptop, offer him a lap tray, or better yet, a desk! The jury’s still out on whether or not tighty whities really increase body temperature down there enough to affect sperm, but you may want to invest in some boxers — just in case. Everybody knows they’re cuter anyway.
• Help him kick the habit. Smoking and drinking can keep a good man down, reducing sperm quantity and lifespan. The combination of these two vices is particularly harmful to male fertility. What’s more, studies show that men who smoke have lower sex drives and less frequent sex (and who wants that now?).
• Boost his nutrition. Deficiencies of vitamins A, C, D, E, B12, zinc, selenium, folic acid, and omega-3 fatty acids can interfere with sperm production and quality. So make sure your guy has a nutritious, well-rounded diet and takes a daily multivitamin. And hey, if the old adage is true that the way to a man’s heart is through his tummy, a little healthy home cooking may help get things cooking in the bedroom!
• Have sex regularly. Abstinence may make the heart grow fonder (and the libido grow stronger) — but it doesn’t do anything to increase your odds of scoring at conception roulette. So if your man has been cutting back on sex — and stepping up on cold showers — in order to store up a sizable supply of sperm for when you’ll need it most (ovulation time), you’d be wise to rethink this strategy. Male fertility research suggests if your guy has a normal sperm count, you’ll have the best chance of conceiving if you have sex once a day (hats off to science!). If your guy has a low sperm count, you’re better off having sex every two days instead of doing the deed only every two weeks. Indeed, prolonged abstinence has little positive effect on conception and can actually decrease a couple’s chances of hitting baby bingo — even for men with low sperm counts. How so? While holding back does increase the number of sperm (a good thing in that more boys are available to start the trip), abstinence longer than one day decreases sperm mobility and appearance (a bad thing because there are fewer boys strong enough to make it to the finish line). On the flip side, overdoing the deed (say, more than once a day) won’t boost your chances in the baby-making lottery. That’s because ejaculating more than once a day won’t give him time to regenerate his boys — and you’ll want a good supply of sperm every time you do it!
Herbal Fertility Supplements
Many holistic practitioners (and happy parents) swear by the baby-making benefits of these herbal supplements:
• Chaste tree berry is thought to stimulate luteinizing hormone (LH) production and to help balance progesterone and estrogen levels in order to regulate the menstrual cycle.
• Red clover is also thought to help balance hormone function. Plus, it contains isoflavones (estrogen-like compounds), which may promote estrogen production and enhance fertility.
• Siberian ginseng is believed to regulate hormones and support uterine function.
• Lady’s mantle is thought to help regulate the menstrual cycle and tone the cervix.
• Black cohosh is touted as improving hormone function due to its phytoestrogens (plant estrogens).
The caveats: The FDA doesn’t regulate herbal fertility supplements (let alone any herbal supplements), so it can be hard to know whether the herb you buy at the store is either effective or safe. There are some reputable brands of herbs on the market, and German products tend to be reliable because German regulations on herbal supplements are stricter than those in the US, but you should talk with your practitioner before you start popping any kind of fertility supplements. Also very important: Some herbal supplements can interfere with fertility and traditional fertility medicine (including the popular herbs St. John’s Wort and Echinacea), and many of them aren’t safe to take during pregnancy. So you’ll definitely want some expert advice before you go this route.
Omega-3 Fatty Acid Fertility Supplements
This nutritional supplement is quickly becoming widely accepted as good for overall health, and some research shows that it may even be helpful in regulating the menstrual cycle and boosting fertility. What’s more, omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to enhance mood, which may improve fertility (stress is a known fertility buster). Even more good news: Once you do get pregnant, omega-3 fatty acids may help decrease your chances of miscarriage and preterm labor, and help promote the development of your baby’s brain, eyes, and nervous system.
The caveats: There’s no established optimal dose for omega-3 fatty acids — especially in the preconception period, which means it may be tricky to figure out how much you really need to take. Many prenatal vitamins (the ones you should be popping already if you’re TTC since they contain essential nutrients like folic acid) contain omega-3 fatty acids, so you could already be getting a good amount. So talk with your practitioner to see if you should take extra omega-3s as fertility supplements or if you should simply add more omega-3-rich foods to your diet. The foods below are especially baby-making friendly:
Omega-3-rich foods:
• Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, and herring
• Shrimp
• Scallops
• Flaxseed
• Walnuts
• Tofu
• Omega-3 enriched eggs, yogurt, milk, and pasta
Conception myth: Lying on your back with your hips elevated for 20 minutes after sex will help you conceive.
Why it’s supposed to help: Gravity will help sperm work their magic. Lying in this position post-sex (some people suggest putting a pillow underneath your bottom to tilt your pelvis up) could help sperm move in the direction they need to go.
The facts: There’s no scientific proof that this will increase your odds of conceiving. After all, every ejaculation contains millions of sperm, so plenty of the speedy swimmers should be able to make their way to the fallopian tubes even if you jump around right after sex. But some experts (and common sense) say that staying in bed for a little while after intercourse will help keep semen from leaking out of the vagina — and maybe, just maybe, help ensure that every last sperm gets a fighting chance at the prize. So if you feel like you’re helping to spur things along by staying supine, make yourself comfy. But if you haven’t got time to stay horizontal after sex, don’t stress.
Conception myth: Cough syrup can help you conceive.
Why it’s supposed to help: Some cough syrups contain an ingredient called guaifenesin that helps thin the mucus in your lungs. Guaifenesin could also thin other mucus in your body — namely cervical mucus — and make it easier for sperm to reach the egg.
The facts: There isn’t a lot of medical research to back this one up, but guaifenesin has actually been prescribed to help treat infertility that’s caused by thick cervical mucus. So while this remedy is by no means a surefire conception-booster for everyone, if you’re having trouble conceiving, it may be worth asking your practitioner about guaifenesin.
Conception myth: Lubricants help sperm swim faster.
Why it’s supposed to help: Mucus-like substances help sperm travel toward the fallopian tubes and get to the egg in waiting.
The facts: While mucus is crucial in getting sperm moving toward the finish line, not just any mucus will do — your own natural cervical mucus is your best bet when trying to conceive. Most lubricants — even saliva — can interfere with your cervical mucus, alter the pH in your vaginal tract (making it inhospitable to sperm), and even kill off stalwart swimmers. If you really need some extra lubrication during sex (a common need when you’re more focused on baby making than lovemaking), there are a few brands of lubricants that are supposed to be safe for sperm. Check them out at the drugstore or ask your practitioner to recommend one.
Conception myth: Certain sex positions increase your odds of conceiving.
Why it’s supposed to help: Positions that allow for deep penetration may land the sperm closer to the cervix, giving them a better shot at making it to the egg.
The facts: While there aren’t any studies to back this up, some experts suggest that deep penetration (which is possible from a rear-entry position or from the man-on-top missionary position) may help get the sperm closer to the cervix, and hence, to their goal. That said, your cervical mucus — regardless of the sexual position you use — should be enough to move your man’s boys toward the egg. So if you’re not a fan of certain sex positions, just go with what feels right to you. If sex feels good, you’re more likely to do it!
Conception myth: Green tea boosts fertility.
Why it’s supposed to help: Green tea is loaded with potent polyphenols (which have antioxidant properties) that help prevent cellular damage to reproductive organs and may make eggs more viable.
The facts: There is some research linking green tea to increased fertility. Plus, because green tea has less caffeine than black tea or coffee, going green could help you limit your caffeine intake when trying to conceive — which is always a smart move since excessive caffeine is a fertility buster. On the other hand, large amounts of green tea seem to decrease the effectiveness of folic acid — a crucial nutrient during your baby prep since it’s vital to fetal development. So if you’d like to give green a chance, go for it, but play it safe and stick with one cup a day.
Conception myth: A woman needs to have an orgasm in order to conceive.
Why it’s supposed to help: The uterine contractions caused by an orgasm may help propel the sperm into the cervix and toward the fallopian tubes.
The facts: While an orgasm can never be a bad thing, and it may in fact help move sperm in the direction of the egg, you don’t need your Os in order to conceive. But wouldn’t it be nice if you did? That would certainly give your man some extra incentive to work harder! Some research does suggest that your orgasm increases alkaline secretions in the vaginal tract, which may favor boy sperm. So if your guy can’t wait to bust out the toy trucks and footballs, maybe the hope of a boy baby will inspire him to help you reach the big O!
Fertility Foods
• Dairy: Dairy is rich in calcium, a nutrient that’s essential not just for bone health but also for reproductive health. So it pays to bone up on dairy (that includes milk, yogurt, and cheese) when you’re TTC. While you’re donning a milk mustache, try a full-fat one once a day — particularly if you have ovulation issues: Some researchers think that one serving of whole milk (or even full-fat ice cream) can decrease the risk of ovulatory infertility. But remember that just one serving of full-fat dairy a day is all you need. Any more than that will just pack on pounds (and hinder your TTC efforts). Not down with dairy? You can also find calcium in other fertility foods such as leafy greens, canned salmon with bones, tofu, almonds, and fortified juices. Aim for about 1,000 mg of calcium daily. And keep up the calcium quotient when you get pregnant since it’s crucial for the development of your baby-to-be’s bones and teeth.
• Lean protein: Animal protein such as lean turkey, chicken, and beef are chock-full of iron. And studies show that there’s a link between iron and fertility: Women who have enough iron have a higher fertility rate than women who are deficient in the nutrient. So pump up your intake of lean animal protein to about two servings a day — but make sure to stay away from the high-fat variety and avoid more than three daily servings since research shows that too much protein (even lean protein) can decrease fertility. In fact, consider swapping out one serving of animal protein for a serving of plant protein, in such fertility foods as beans, tofu, or quinoa. If you’re not eating any animal protein, you may want to make sure your prenatal vitamin has iron.
• Complex carbohydrates: Eating complex carbohydrates (whole grains, beans, vegetables, and fruits) as opposed to refined carbohydrates (like white bread, white rice, or sugary snacks) may increase fertility. How? Digesting refined carbs causes an increase in blood sugar and insulin in the body — and increased insulin levels can disrupt reproductive hormones and interfere with the menstrual cycle (and who wants a messed up cycle when TTC?). Complex carbs, on the other hand, take longer to digest and don’t cause spikes in insulin levels. What’s more, complex carbs may even promote regular ovulation. Another bonus to eating complex carbs like whole grains? They contain multiple nutrients, including folic acid, which increases fertility and decreases the incidence of neural-tube defects in a fetus, which can occur early in pregnancy — even before you know you’ve got a baby on board. Of course, when it comes to folic acid, more is better, so choose a prenatal vitamin with that has at least 400 mcg.
• Fatty fish: The omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, and herring have some big, fat fertility-boosting benefits. They may help to regulate reproductive hormones, increase blood flow to reproductive organs, and relieve stress (stress has been shown to be a surefire fertility buster). What if you’re not a fan of fish? You can get omega-3 fatty acids from other fertility foods such as flaxseed, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and enriched eggs. You can also talk with your health-care practitioner about supplementing with omega-3s.
• Wild yams: Some experts think that this Thanksgiving staple contains a substance that may help stimulate ovulation. In fact, populations that eat a lot of wild yams have a high rate of twins. When it comes to fertility foods, this one may have double the effect!
• Berries: Blueberries and raspberries are particularly packed with antioxidants, which help prevent damage and aging to your body’s cells — and this includes cells in your reproductive system — namely, your eggs. So a diet that’s rich in berries may help keep your eggs healthy and increase their shelf life.
• Oysters: The oyster is famous for being an aphrodisiac and for good reason — it contains zinc, which is crucial for conception. Zinc deficiency can disrupt the menstrual cycle and slow the production of good-quality eggs. What if you simply can’t swallow the idea of swallowing this fertility food? You can find zinc — though less of it — in such fertility foods as beef, poultry, dairy, nuts, eggs, whole grains, and legumes. Or you can get zinc from your prenatal vitamin.
Baby-Busting Foods
• High-mercury fish: Mercury has been linked with infertility. It’s also known to be harmful to your developing baby-to-be, so you’ll want to avoid eating any high-mercury fish while TTC, especially swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, tuna steak, and shark.
• Trans fats: Researchers have found that the more trans fats in a woman’s diet, the greater her likelihood of developing ovulatory infertility. Trans fats (also called hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils) are found in processed and fried foods (packaged snacks and doughnuts, to name a few). So read nutrition labels carefully to avoid trans fats, and stick to polyunsaturated fats (in fatty fish, walnuts, and sunflower seeds) and monounsaturated fats (such as olive oil).
Fertility Foods for Men:
• Oysters: There’s a reason these slimy suckers are known as aphrodisiacs. Because of their zinc content, oysters help increase the production of sperm and testosterone — key baby-making ingredients. If your guy simply can’t swallow this slippery seafood, he can also find zinc (though not as much of it) in fertility foods such as beef, poultry, dairy, nuts, eggs, whole grains, and beans. Or he can get zinc from a daily multivitamin, which he should be taking anyway to make sure he and his little swimmers are as healthy as can be.
• Fruits and vegetables: The antioxidants found in fruits and veggies (like the dried fruits, cranberries, and collard greens your man can munch on) help protect sperm from cellular damage and keep them strong and speedy — just what they need to race through the fallopian tubes and fertilize the egg. Find vitamin A — which is important in preventing sluggish sperm — in fertility foods such as leafy greens, carrots, red peppers, and apricots, to name a few. Get vitamin C — which is critical to sperms’ motility and viability — in orange juice, tomatoes, grapefruit, and broccoli, among other foods. And get vitamin E — which helps keep sperm vital — from vegetable oils. Fruits and veggies such as leafy greens, beans, and most fruits contain folic acid — a B vitamin with antioxidant properties that’s crucial for keeping sperm free of chromosomal abnormalities. What if you’re looking for one power veggie to make a staple in your sweetie’s diet? Serve up a sweet potato. It’s packed with all of the nutrients above — vitamins A, C, E, and folate.
• Pomegranate juice: Another powerful player in antioxidant circles is the pomegranate. According to research in mice, pomegranate juice can boost sperm count and quality. What better reasons are there to add this juice to your man’s meal?
• Pumpkin seeds: These seeds contain a hefty dose of zinc, which (as stated above) increases testosterone and sperm count. Pumpkin seeds are also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids, which stimulate blood flow to sexual organs and improve sexual function (very good things when your man is being called to “duty”). Looking for other ways to stock up on omega-3s? Try flaxseed, almonds, or fatty fish like salmon and sardines.
Baby-Busting Foods for Men
• Junk food: Sure, your partner knows this stuff isn’t good for the heart or the waistline, but now he’s got to face the fact that fatty, fried, and sugary foods can impair male fertility as well. One more reason to ditch the doughnuts.
• High-mercury fish: Mercury has been linked with infertility in both women and men. The fish that have the highest mercury content are swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, tuna steak, and shark — so swap these fish for omega-3-rich salmon or zinc-rich shellfish if you’re serving seafood.
• Caffeinated drinks and alcohol: Research shows that too much coffee (or tea or energy drinks) and too much alcohol can seriously decrease sperm count. So have your partner limit his caffeine intake to the equivalent of two cups of joe a day, and make sure he keeps his alcohol consumption in check. If he’s resistant to the idea of cutting back on cocktails (or beer), remind him that the two of you can celebrate — he with an alcoholic drink and you with your mocktail — once you get pregnant.

LolaInLove
January 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Thank you! Hubby isn't the problem, oddly enough, he's superman in that department (and he'll be the first to tell you!, lol). I'm the broken one. After 4 kids, I can no longer get preggers on my own (thyroidectomy and badly scarred/missing tubes ~ still unsure what's going on with them!!!).
Hubby is taking the maca anyway (hoping to enforce healthy squirmy worms) since our last cycle resulted in m/c (unsure why too, he just was so small!). Since I have adult children who just don't understand why we want 2 more, we're using the maca as our excuse as to why we got preggers (hoping that we do, in fact!!!).

Hey, never hurts to take healthy supps to boost both of your systems. Sorry to hear about your m/c! I hope you get some good news soon and the maca works!!!

LolaInLove
January 24th, 2012, 12:52 PM
THANKS, PP! He is really trying to do all of those things. We do have the occasional glass of wine and a cup of coffee in the morning. I think the real culprit is just his job- since he is a ballet dancer, he has to wear this special man-thong called a dancebelt to hold his junk in place and make it look smooth under tights. It's like a thick bra. I bet his balls are just hot all the time and killing sperm, and there isn't much we can do about that until the ballet season is over in April. He gets a break from it for a few months.

purplepoet20
January 24th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Make him sit on icepacks... wrapped in a towel so it's not to cold. Loose shorts for a few months may help too.

LolaInLove
January 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I was just thinking about ice packs! TBH, I think we need to just bite the bullet and go see the expensive urologist. He very well may have something else going on because he lifts heavy things all day (ballerinas), and I know he's had a tortion before, although the doc then said it wouldn't affect fertility.