PDA

View Full Version : HSG experiences?

ksmom
March 18th, 2016, 03:09 PM
I'm having a HSG done next week and frankly, I'm terrified. Of course I've read nothing but horror stories online (thanks Google!) so now I'm worried. Is it really that bad?? What should I expect?

Frilly Lady
March 18th, 2016, 04:09 PM
Hi ksmom, I made the mistake of googling it too and was terrified. For me it wasn't painful at all just a little uncomfortable like have a Pap smear done, and it was only uncomfortable when they went through the cervix but no pain. I took a couple of pain killers about an hour beforehand. They found I had a blocked tube so was given a muscle relaxer had the dye put in again which unblocked it, but no pain either time. It was all over so quick and if I had to have another one again it wouldn't bother me at all. Good luck relax and try not to worry.

ksmom
March 18th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Thank you so much for your response. :) I'm so happy to hear you had a good experience!! I swear everyone says the pain is excruciating so it really scared me. I think I'll take a couple of ibuprofen beforehand just in case. Did you have any bleeding afterward?

Frilly Lady
March 19th, 2016, 05:45 AM
A little bleeding and leakage, I took a pad but they also gave me one too. Good luck hun and let me know how you get on!

ksmom
March 21st, 2016, 03:39 PM
Had the HSG today and it went great! The rad tech was awesome and talked to me through the procedure to get my mind off it. The whole thing lasted just a few minutes and no pain really, just uncomfortable like a gas cramp. lol My tubes are clear although my uterus is tilted funny. Hahaha I'm glad it's done but I was really worried for nothing! Thanks Frilly Lady! :)

Frilly Lady
March 21st, 2016, 03:58 PM
So pleased all went well ksmom and your tubes are clear. Fingers crossed now for a bfp very soon. X

atomic sagebrush
March 21st, 2016, 11:54 PM
I'm so happy it went well! Try laying on belly or side for 5 min. after DTD. It has really made the difference for those of us with tipped uteri. :)

ksmom
March 22nd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thank you! My uterus is pretty much tilted back and way off to the left. It really wasn't even in the center of my body. :giggle: I think position after BD really does make a difference because I've found I only conceive in the months I propped my hips or laid on my belly.

atomic sagebrush
March 23rd, 2016, 03:31 PM
yeah me too, it's like it's trying to take up residence elsewhere haha

1moregirl
May 25th, 2016, 06:59 AM
What is a HSG? Is it similar to a hysteroscopy but less invasive?

ksmom
May 25th, 2016, 09:42 AM
It's where they place a thin tube up into your uterus and squirt dye to check if your tubes are open. If the dye spills out of your tubes then they're clear. It's a very quick procedure and really like having a Pap smear. I had it done the same cycle we conceived so I don't know if it helped me to get pregnant or not but something worked. lol