PDA

View Full Version : How am I ever supposed to be able to TTC again when I cant get the simplest medical care?!

SweetLily
April 7th, 2016, 07:10 AM
So frustrated!

The last 2 months (and last month of my pregnancy before my loss) ive been having gallbladder attacks. Ive had FOUR in the last 48 HOURS. They sent me home with morphine and told me to go back if I got a fever or couldn't control the pain. That was tuesday morning. I got a fever this afternoon. I couldnt go straight in and felt awful so took tylenol. Of course they couldnt confirm the fever and treated me like they thought I was inventing it! They sent me home without any testing. Today, now thursday, I went in at 2.30 am after calling at 1 to see if I could take an extra morphine pill. It didnt help and I was cryi g in bed after 15 mg of morphine so I judged this as pain I couldnt control and went back in. They gave me another shot of pain meds and booted me out without even letting me discuss options with the dr. My bp was 160/110!

I dont know why they bother telling you to go in if other things happen cause they send me away without doing anything (2nd last visit was a temp check and bp and that was it).

I cant ttc til this thing is OUT as its full of stones and was probably the reason I was contracting so much in my pregnancy during the last few weeks when the attacks started.

I am so frustrated and so angry. I know 2 friends who DIED from.going septic from their GB cause the drs waited too lonh to remove it.

I cant believe the dr wouldnt even come talk to me! I know he was home in bed but I was perfectly agreeable to wait until 8 or 9 if it meant a discussion.

Am I crazy to expect better care than this? Have I lost my sanity and sense of reason in my postpartum depression?

Thoughts please?

Beautifulrainbow
April 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'm really sorry your having a rough time, and it's not crazy to expect better care! Is there another hospital you can go to? Maybe they will be more help hun.xx
Fx something gives and you get the care you need soon.

SweetLily
April 7th, 2016, 12:13 PM
I'm really sorry your having a rough time, and it's not crazy to expect better care! Is there another hospital you can go to? Maybe they will be more help hun.xx
Fx something gives and you get the care you need soon.

Yes, I'm going to haul myself 3 hours away to another hospital tomorrow for a second opinion. This is getting to be too much. I don't see what else I can do.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Babygirlquest
April 7th, 2016, 02:21 PM
That's so shocking. I can't believe no one even examined you properly, from a legal angle alone I thought they would at least err on the side of caution and check you out. I know getting a second opinion isn't ideal because of distance but at least that way you might feel you are being listened too. That is horrible about your friends too, I had a suspected gall bladder attack after my third son. I thought I was having a heart attack and the pain was worse than labour. I'm sure the morphine isn't really doing the trick so they have to help you. Do you have an appointment scheduled for its removal?

SweetLily
April 7th, 2016, 03:17 PM
I'm really mad about it. Another attack started 90 minutes ago. This is crazy. I called the health authority to complain and ask them to intervene fro me by advocating it. Now I have to go back to the dr for more morphine pills cause the attacks are so often and I can't stand the pain.

What a bad 2 months! I think this GB issue played into the contractions I was having and was one of the causes of the loss. I just didn't kno what it was.

On the BRIGHT SIDE, I found an awesome new doc whom I love, and she has agreed for the next pregnancy we have to be over vigilant and over investigate everything, so this makes me feel a bit calmer about ttc again.

Calm is good!

SweetLily
April 7th, 2016, 03:22 PM
That's so shocking. I can't believe no one even examined you properly, from a legal angle alone I thought they would at least err on the side of caution and check you out. I know getting a second opinion isn't ideal because of distance but at least that way you might feel you are being listened too. That is horrible about your friends too, I had a suspected gall bladder attack after my third son. I thought I was having a heart attack and the pain was worse than labour. I'm sure the morphine isn't really doing the trick so they have to help you. Do you have an appointment scheduled for its removal?

Oh, yes they are getting things moving with a Surgeon, but my consult isn't til the 29th and then they have to book the surgery.

We have a surgeon in out town that is ok, but his son just died and he's taken a month off. Poor guy. If he comes back when he's scheduled to in 2 weeks, he will do my surgery in a few days. He did my hubby's 3 days after it was diagnosed.

There is a medical bus that goes on fridays to the tertiary hospital for the region, I'm thinking of going tomorrow but it only stays for 4 hours and I doubt emerg can get me in and out in 4 hours, and then I'll be stuck there. Not good, so not sure...will see what the dr says this afternoon when I go for more pain pills.

maidentomother
April 7th, 2016, 03:49 PM
I'm so sorry you're struggling with these serious health issues AND incompetent care.

Re morphine, it's honestly not the greatest pain killer and I would request something stronger with fewer side effects like oxycodone, or much stronger like hydromorphone. 15mg is the very lowest dose of morphine and is often not enough for moderate pain or worse. I can absolutely imagine that you'd need 30-50mg minimum.

SweetLily
April 9th, 2016, 06:41 AM
Thanks maiden. The hydromorphone is working much better.

I gave up on medical care, and went to dr for more painkillers to survive the weekend. But this was after both my hometown hospital and the bigger tertiary hospital had been forwarded my letter of complaint.

When the dr walked in he listened for 2 minutes, picked up the phone and called his wife who was working the ER that day, gave her instructions then sent me a sheet of written instructions for the nurses to begin. I was then admitted and shipped off yesterday morning for the big hospital to have my GB removed.

surgery is set for this morning but is in jeopardy-- af picked now to come and its do bad it keeps running down my legs even WITH the huge hospital maternity pads! What a time for a postpartum hemhorage! Its not quite that yet but they are watching closely. I get blood drawn in 2 hours to determine if we can move forward but thankfully the dr understands endo blood is not the same as bleeding OUT.

AND, I get a gyne to cone in and actually check me out and make sure all is well!

If nothing else, my letter made care finally happen! Did I mention my fave dr just became chief of staff at our hospital and came in to personally apologize and discuss what I wanted and needed when they admitted me? He is do awesome, he actually cried when discussing events I'd gone thru.

So maybe a bit little a bit late but im finally getting taken care of :)

Thanks for all the support ladies. You truly are a special group.

Beautifulrainbow
April 9th, 2016, 06:47 AM
Wow finally! I hope that they can still go ahead with the surgery! And I hope you finally get better soon. Looking forward to you coming back to update us all soon. You are in my thoughts.x

Babygirlquest
April 9th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Sorry it took all that for them to listen but so glad you are a priority case now xxxx hope the bleeding eases off so you can get the gall bladder removed today. Looking forward to a positive update!

atomic sagebrush
April 10th, 2016, 01:57 PM
That is what I have never understood about medical care. They tell you to be proactive, call if you have any issues, etc etc etc and then treat you like an insane nuisance when you do. And if you don't you get blamed too. IT's all set up to make them look good.

I'm so glad that you're going to be hopefully able to get it out soon!!! FXFXFX and keep us updated.

SweetLily
April 10th, 2016, 06:16 PM
They took it out yesterday!

I'm so relieved. My kidneys aren't happy with all the meds I've been on and then the dr gave me a painkiller KNOWN to make urination difficult/impossible. Had to go to er after the 3 hr drive home to get an In - out catheter to pee then this morning a whole bag til tmrw. Changed the drug ttoo. Ticked about it but AM SO HAPPY as now I have nothing I'm waiting on/holding me back. I just gotta get stronger and then we will ttc!

Yay for some good news :)

maidentomother
April 10th, 2016, 07:03 PM
So happy to hear that! What painkiller did they give you initially? And after? With how many nontoxic effective strong painkillers there are it's shocking they ever gave you one of the yucky ones.

The Anchor
April 11th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Sorry I pm'd you before I read this...but wanted to say Hallelujah! finally you catch a break!

Finally you are on the mend :)

atomic sagebrush
April 11th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I'm so glad! My sister got better almost right away when she had hers out, like in a few days. :agree:

Beautifulrainbow
April 12th, 2016, 02:15 AM
Yay!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

SweetLily
April 27th, 2016, 11:12 PM
Well I devoloped a super resistant infection so it took a little longer to get better. I've been inand out of the hospital and had daily IV antibiotics. some of my levels are still wonky but settling down and should be clear soon. Dr said I could TTC 90 days after my tests are ok. as long as Its by my birthday I'll be happy :)

Now I can get back to my writing, I have screenplay revisions that are overdue and a new novel in the works. Dying to get started on more than the concept for that one, and since all I'm doing is recovering, I have TIME on my hands!

Trying desperately to avoid a trip out of province for court, the ex is at it again with his child support nonsense and I have to present myself it seems. Or find a not busy lawyer worth their salt in 6 days. Ha!

anyway, I feel like things are improving so finger crossed. I have a really good new dr. I really like her :)

Thanks for the support ladies!

atomic sagebrush
May 1st, 2016, 12:49 PM
OH I'm so happy to read this! :) Fingers and toes crossed for a speedy recovery.