PDA

View Full Version : Feeling low

bodhi
September 21st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I lurk around here quite a bit but don't post a whole lot. Hope you don't mind me sneaking in to cry a bit.

I'm 8 weeks pregnant and have been feeling pretty positive. We swayed for a girl, and while I remain hopeful, I've been feeling really good about the possibility of either gender.

My husband and I have been having some issues with my MIL, who is unhappy with her level of involvement with my son. That's the kindest way I can describe it. Until recently, most of the arguing has been between my her and my husband, and I've tried to keep out of it because I really don't want to do any permanent damage to my relationship with my in-laws. Yesterday she phoned me on the attack, making all kinds of accusations and saying lots of hurtful things. This is just one part of the conversation, but it really upset me. She has 3 sons, and she makes no secret of the fact that she still has GD. She warned me (in a very unkind manner) that since I have a son, someday I will see what it's like to be left behind, unloved, and mistreated because sons don't have close relationships with their mothers when they grow up.

Part of me knows that this is silly and more a reflection of her feelings than reality, but it terrifies me. The main reason I long for a daughter is because I want to enjoy that mother-daughter bond when she's older. I know there are lots of daughters who don't get along with their mothers and lots of sons who are very close to theirs, but I can't get it out of my head. Left behind, unloved, and mistreated.

I'm so angry with her for (unknowingly) bringing all my fears of gender disappointment back to life. I know that I can't really blame her for this, but I feel like I've lost some of the joy I felt. I want to be at peace with this baby's gender no matter what, but now I just feel lots of anxiety and helplessness.

TTC5
September 21st, 2011, 10:48 PM
Sounds like your MIL has bottled up alot of her emotions from GD :( Perhaps, you could try to involve yourself with her more, she may like that as you would be the closest thing to her as having a daughter would get xxx

nuthinbutpink
September 22nd, 2011, 07:00 AM
I agree with TTC5, where there is anger, there is always pain underneath. I have no idea what your relationship is like but I can tell you that I go out of my way to include my inlaws with everything we do. My DH does not- I shop for them for holidays, make sure we see them enough, make sure they are invited to all the kids' activities and I know my MIL loves me for that.

I'm sorry that she made you feel bad but don't let her issues bring you down. In some way, wrong or right, the woman is hurting.

applesoup
October 19th, 2011, 05:45 PM
What an unloving thing to do. I definitely can sympathize.

I think that while there is some truth to boys clinging to their wives...and their wives running the show, I DO think that you can raise your sons to treat YOU with respect & take care of you. Maybe those things start now...a monthly date with each of them. Getting very close to them. Etc.

Some moms (sounds like your MIL) are so pushy that they don't realize they're driving their male children away.

You're not your MIL. Hang in there!

TTC5
October 19th, 2011, 06:22 PM
How is everything going? xx