PDA

View Full Version : Will allergies and steroids affect my sway??

mrsellis127
July 24th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Hello all,

I have been hit with a bad case of allergies all over my skin and was just given steroids 60mg a day for the next couple days to help with them. We are ttc this coming cycle and I'm about 2 days away from AF coming, so I would ovulate around Aug 7-9. Will these meds affect anything?? I am also taking benedryl about twice a day. I hoping the allergies will subside in the next day or two and I can lay off the meds by the time AF begins.

ALSO, my hubby has been complaining of pain on his left testicle due to heavy lifting. Will this have any affect on his swimmers??

We are not in a rush and can definitely wait until next cycle but would like to try this coming cycle if our current situation will not affect our sway.

thank you!!

mrsellis127
July 24th, 2016, 09:25 PM
Bump!

atomic sagebrush
July 25th, 2016, 03:26 PM
Please give me a few days before you bump posts, since I go from oldest to newest, if you bump too soon it just goes back to the top of rotation and actually takes me LONGER.

As far as we know, the steroids should not sway blue and the Benadryl sways pink. If you feel ok about your sway otherwise I'd still try, but if you'll live a thousand years of regret TTC and getting a boy, you could skip it, but don't forget that for all we know this may have been the perfect month and we'd end up with worse odds in another month.

I would have hubby go to the doctor because it sounds to me like he has a hernia. Should not affect sway but if it gets strangulated that is bad. Additionally a twisted testicle (men don't usually get this, only little boys, but it's still possible) is a medical emergency that can be very serious.

mrsellis127
July 25th, 2016, 10:28 PM
Thanks atomic. I'm actually ttc blue so if benadryl sways pink then I will hold off.

atomic sagebrush
July 26th, 2016, 02:06 PM
Gosh darn it, I KNEW that and even thought, "wasn't mrs ellis swaying blue" but somehow I read your post and thought pink somehow. :p I'm so sorry!!

mrsellis127
August 11th, 2016, 11:42 PM
Atomic, thanks for your response. Update :I've been on zyrtec the last couple weeks. Have stopped the steroids for about two weeks now as well. I've had ewcm the last couple days and while testing my opk today had a flashing smiley which means high fertility. Was not planning on ttc this month as I mentioned earlier but lo and behold we spontaneously dtd. I used preseed. My question is, should we dtd again in a couple days to full out go for it and try to get pregnant? Or just not do anything and hope I don't get pregnant!? I feel good about my diet and supplements I've been on the last several months. I just don't want my recent allergies/meds to affect my chances for a boy. My gut feeling is to go for it and dtd in a couple days... I feel like since I still had ewcm that zyrtec didn't hurt anything? Please help!

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2016, 03:04 PM
A flashing smiley can mean you're still many days from O.

It's totally up to you - I would have you go for it since you seem to ahve many days of EWCM in spite of the Zyrtec. It has been neutral for us in terms of results - does not seem to be working for pink sways anyway, and the reason it supposedly worked was by drying up EWCM. If your EWCM is there, I'd go for it. I would not just have one more attempt though, I'd try to sneak in as many as you can since at least 3 BD in the fertile window has swayed blue for us. If you prefer to stick with Shettles, I'd wait for positive OPK and then have one that night, again the next morning, and then again the following night if possible.

mrsellis127
August 14th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I got a solid smiley this morning. We had another attempt yesterday. So we'll dtd again tonight. Thanks atomic!

mrsellis127
August 14th, 2016, 10:44 AM
I got a solid smiley this morning. We had another attempt yesterday. So we'll dtd again tonight. Thanks atomic!

atomic sagebrush
August 17th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Excellent!! Sending you a ton of blue dust!

mrsellis127
August 19th, 2016, 04:55 PM
So my Dr called and told me the reason why I was having an allergy problem : low vitamin d! I have been taking the orange one a day along with extra folic acid, fish oil, plus probiotics. I was taking vitamin d as well but ran out a couple months ago and haven't bought anymore. Do you think this will hurt anything!? I don't know if I'm pregnant yet but if I am, will those have a major impact on the sex?

Thanks atomic

atomic sagebrush
August 20th, 2016, 04:27 PM
Well, that's one theory, another theory is that you are being exposed to something new in your environment that wasn't there before, and another theory still is that you were sensitive to something for a long time and your immune system is all worked up over it and has started having reactions.

if you have low Vit. D levels that needs to be treated for a variety of reasons. But I would not have much hope in that this will magically cure your allergies if you're continuing to get exposed to your allergen, because you're allergic to something, and until we can figure out what that is (or it stops blooming or whatever it's doing) then they will continue.

I would urge a trip to an allergy doctor who can give you skin tests that will tell you what is causing your allergies.

atomic sagebrush
August 20th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Mrs. E, has this been since you've been doing anything new for swaying?? Fish oil, wheatgrass?? Anything herbal?? We need to get to the bottom of what is triggering this, if it seems to be a systemic reaction instead of just a skin reaction (like lotion or something)

One time I just touched an antibiotic at work and ingested some of it apparently (did not even take a pill) and I swelled up and broke out in hives from head to toe. Is this like what you are having, or is it like due to possibly new soap or beauty products???

mrsellis127
August 20th, 2016, 08:15 PM
I went to a primary care physician who took urine and blood samples and they said that I have a high wbc count and elevated liver enzymes. I went to an allergist a week later (night of our first attempt) who took a blood sample that said I have low vitamin d which could be causing hives.

I've had hives off and on since my teenage years but nothing as severe as I had recently. I have never known the cause. They are pretty much gone now and I haven't needed zyrtec in over a week! The allergist also said it could be due to stress. I'm a pretty laid back person and don't get stressed easily, however my husband and I were completing a rental property a little over a month ago where we had to meet a deadline and there was tons of work to do. We did meet the deadline and met our goals so I thought that might help my sway. The only other thing I could think of is I got attacked by bees and a wasp (3-4 stings) and had some hives after that but they stopped and then completely flipped out a couple weeks and that's when I needed to go to the er and was prescribed steroids.
I actually found a few wasps living under my curtains in our bedroom! My husband got rid of them and so maybe that's the reason my hives are gone!?

Anyway, I am pretty sure I am pregnant from our attempts last weekend although I have not taken the test yet. I have felt very slight symptoms and kind of just know. I really hope I didn't mess up my sway. This month wasn't supposed to be our attempt month bc of everything going on with me but I'm hoping it wasn't enough to hurt my sway. I have read on the forums that 1000iu vit d is enough and that's what is in the orange one a day. I feel pretty confident about my diet since I have done a complete lifestyle change over the last couple years.
I feel like there are a couple things going against me on this sway: allergy issues, medications, plus my hubbys testicle issue (he hasn't been to Dr bc it doesn't bother him enough and he is so stubborn),and timing which I know doesn't matter but I am almost positive I got pregnant on our first try which was when I got my first flashing smiley and we attempted that night. We had another attempt two days later and the next morning I got a solid smiley. We tried again that day but he was not able to release. I got a little too excited with the preseed and he said it was too watery lol.

With all that said I'm preparing myself for another girl! :)

Thank you atomic

atomic sagebrush
August 22nd, 2016, 01:26 PM
I"m just glad they're gone for now, but I do urge you to play detective if they come back because doctors blaming an allergic reaction on low Vit. D and stress I feel is not being proactive enough. You can die from these systemic allergies.

What I would guess happened is that yes, the wasp stings made your immune system all fired up and then it was probably reacting to everything, even things that normally you were only sensitive to. Now that you've had the medication, it's calmed back down again (which is good). now, could stress and low Vit. D possibly have contributed to that, I suppose, but your allergy was caused by something you were coming into contact with. Example, I had been in contact with the medicine I mentioned at my work before, but it was only after I had to work outside for a week in freezing temperatures that my body reacted to it.

My husband is fatally allergic to yellow jackets and he has to actually get stung by one, it's not just having them around that does it. So I think this is something you're contacting regularly. I think it is best from here on on for you to stay away from wheat grass, brewer's yeast, and wean off the fish oil. Those are the most common allergens from the blue sway.

Vit D - 1000 is enough for anyone with normal Vit. D but you may need to up this. I would ask your doc about how much they think you ought to be taking.

Good luck and blue dust headed your way!!

mrsellis127
October 19th, 2016, 03:03 PM
UPDATE: IT'S A BOY!!! Atomic, it turned out that I was indeed pregnant and we just found out we're having a BOY!
Thank you so much for everything and I am so happy that I found this website. It has helped me so much! I will be sure to add my sway :)

THANK YOU!

atomic sagebrush
October 19th, 2016, 03:47 PM
Hugest huge huge huge congrats Mrs. E!!! Please do an Add your sway if you haven't already!!

atomic sagebrush
October 19th, 2016, 03:47 PM
LOL ok I just read that you're going to - hahaha!! I got super excited for a second there.