PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do, twin pregnancy and risks

chocolate
July 25th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Hi, I have 3 children and am pregnant with twins (8 weeks) and in 2 minds if I should continue the pregnancy. So scared about having premature babies which will have dissabilities/learning problems/health problems from being born early. It makes me worry so much, and how it would change our lives and our childrens and if its worth the risk. I was being selfish by wanting a 4th for the chance of a girl and now the reality is that I could end up with poorly children to look after and can't enjoy the 3 healthy ones I have :-( I carried all 3 of my children to 40 weeks and 39+4 etc. And am fit and healthy but 5ft 2 and not much room to grow them, but maybe my uterus is stretched from previous pregnancies so maybe it would be ok.
I keep going around in circles.

How many people know of twins that are born with health problems?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

baby2016baby
July 25th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Having worked in health, the vast majority of twins are born healthy and happy around 37 weeks weighing above 5lb each. Obviously theres many factors that determine the sort of pregnancy you have. Although twins are at increased risks of premature labour and post birth complications this does not always equate to lifelong problems. Usually it may mean a small stint in special care. You should speak to your gp as he can advise you if you have risk factors for premature birth base don your medical history etc and advise on best way to reduce these. Of course only my opinion but I wouldn't consider aborting twins soley on the"chance" they may be born early. In fact the last lot of twins I seen were born at 38 weeks as mother didn't go into labour on her own! they were both over 6lb and went home the next day. Years ago I know twin pregnancies were high risk but with advances in monitoring and medical equipment, I think they can be managed much more effectively. Please try not to worry xxx

chocolate
July 25th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Thank you, I think Ive calmed myself a bit by reading a thread about when twins arrived and the majority weighed in at good weights and no problems.

trifecta
July 25th, 2016, 12:03 PM
It's just anecdotal, but ALL the twin pairs I know are healthy and bright.

atomic sagebrush
July 25th, 2016, 12:53 PM
They do happen, but it is also absolutely the case that twins are born perfectly fine and healthy and then single pregnancies have issues. Since we don't ahve that crystal ball to look into, you would not ever be able to know if your twin pregnancy would end badly and additionally that a future single pregnancy would end well.

My uncles are twins born 60 years ago and they are both large and healthy men. My sister's daughter was a singleton born 3 years ago with the best of everything medically and nutritionally speaking, and weighed 3 lbs 8 oz. at birth. There is no way of knowing that one pregnancy would end badly and another would end well.

Babygirlquest
July 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM

nuthinbutpink
July 25th, 2016, 03:19 PM
I understand you being nervous. I think that's normal. Twins do carry a higher risk but with proper pregnancy care, odds are they will be just fine! You just have to let the shock wear off so you can get excited about how special a natural twin conception is!! Congrats!

pinkin2011
July 25th, 2016, 03:44 PM
Both of my singleton pregnancies have been born at 36 weeks. Both had a 24 hr stay in the nicu just for observation they had a little jaundice but nothing too bad .i have heard alot of twin pregnancies going over the 36 weeks!! My aunty had b/g twins at 38 weeks. Both babies healthy and happy. Good luck chocolate i am sure it will all work out great in the end xo

Throwaway_panther
July 25th, 2016, 09:35 PM
I wanted to add: your height won't mean you'll have issues carrying twins. People often think height, pre-pregnancy weight or even shoe size relate to ability to carry to term/how they deliver, but that's not the reality! I don't know how your other pregnancies went, but know that your height wouldn't be the cause of problems.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

chocolate
July 26th, 2016, 02:32 AM
Thank you, all other pregnancies went perfectly and to term. I keep doing full circles, going to bed thinking how crazy I was to think adding twins to the family would be ok, money, time, health. Then I wake in the am thinking it will be ok.

onlythelonely
July 26th, 2016, 05:28 AM
I personally have 8 year old twins. I carried them until my scheduled C-Section at 38w6days. I did not have any issues while pregnant (other then not being able to see my feet by the end) 1 was 5 1/2 lbs, 1 was 6 1/2 lbs. While my little guy had to go to the nursery for 5 days and have feeding tube for 2 days. They had not breathing issues. They are both now happy and healthy and playing tackle football.

They have had no health issues (Asthma, sight, hearing) since birth, have reached all their milestone at the correct age if not earlier. They achieve well in school.

I know it is very scary when you first find out and there are many people who will tell you horror stories but modern medicine is amazing.

I wish you all the best with your pregnancy.

Babygirlquest
July 26th, 2016, 06:18 AM

Dutchgirl
August 8th, 2016, 05:04 PM
My twin girls are nearly one year old. I had this shock too.
The fact that my other pregnancies went well made me very confident. My singletons were born with 40 weeks, so i knew my body was able to keep them inside long enough.

It was a tough pregnancy, my belly was huge and i could not walk a lot. But it went well and the girls were born with 37 weeks.

The worries about finance and stuff i had as well. I needed the 9 months to prepare myself on the fact of having 2 babies. It seemed like a dream of joke somethimes, or a bad dream on other days.

At the end it all went well :) It's hard, i had my terrible days, but the girls play together a lot and have much fun together. That makes it all worth it.

1+2+3boys
August 12th, 2016, 06:09 AM
Hi, how it's going? Having twins is such an amazing gift that not many people get blessed with. It's so special and unique and worth the extra hard work in the first few years. The pregnancy is harder but you will forget. My boys were born at 35 weeks but healthy going home weights at 2.75 and 2.95 kg and were in special care for observation and got to go home after two weeks once they had learned to feed. They were on time for the milestones and at age four, just as clever and healthy as their big bro at the same age. You wouldn't know they were almost half his size at birth and later than him in the milestones. They are a delight and hilarious at times and favourites to their teachers at kindy.

I know of some short ladies who carried just fine and longer than me. It just all pokes out the front. I grew all out front too and didn't even look pregnant from the back! (I'm average to tall height though)

Best of luck to you

3'sacharm
August 12th, 2016, 03:34 PM
Chocolate - how are you? How are things going? Are you feeling more settled about the prospect of twins?x