PDA

View Full Version : Insurance coverage for meds for pgd

Giselle2016
July 26th, 2016, 02:19 AM
So my insurance would only cover ivf costs if it were for infertility and not gender selection. If I were to do the pgd gender selection ivf I have to pay out of pocket but do u think they would cover the meds? I'm curious if anyone had this situation and if their insurance at least covered the meds. I'm scared to ask the insurance because then they will not that I'm doing gender selection and not sure if doctors can code it a different way or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuthinbutpink
July 26th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Whose telling them IVF is for GS?? They don't normally even ask that! If you have coverage, and the doctor submits it, it is covered. Same with meds. They simply get the script from the doctor. They don't ask why you need it. They don't care.

My meds were covered by insurance. IVF was not because I used a doctor outside of my network.

nicoler
July 26th, 2016, 09:35 AM
No one will say a word about gender selection unless you do. There is not one definitive test that says you are infertile and you can have all normal results, yet still have trouble conceiving. Insurance will not ask you for proof that you are infertile.

Giselle2016
July 26th, 2016, 01:04 PM
But what if u already have 3 children naturally? They won't ask how u had those 3 children naturally?

Giselle2016
July 26th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Whose telling them IVF is for GS?? They don't normally even ask that! If you have coverage, and the doctor submits it, it is covered. Same with meds. They simply get the script from the doctor. They don't ask why you need it. They don't care.

My meds were covered by insurance. IVF was not because I used a doctor outside of my network.

Omg if that is the case, I will have half my first cycle paid for! Sorry for being an idiot, how do I find out if dr. Potter is in my network?

atomic sagebrush
July 26th, 2016, 01:10 PM
But what if u already have 3 children naturally? They won't ask how u had those 3 children naturally?

People develop secondary infertility all the time even after having several children. it's not unusual.

Giselle2016
July 26th, 2016, 01:26 PM
No one will say a word about gender selection unless you do. There is not one definitive test that says you are infertile and you can have all normal results, yet still have trouble conceiving. Insurance will not ask you for proof that you are infertile.

Thank u! This makes me feel so much better!

nicoler
July 26th, 2016, 01:28 PM
I'm not in the US so I don't know anything about insurance networks and the Drs within them. I do know that the insurance claims department would not necessarily be aware of your other children and if they are, they don't have any idea (nor will they care) how they were conceived. You could have conceived them all through ivf (out of pocket) for all they know. They won't ask or say anything about it. Also, it is not unusual at all to do pgd as part of an ivf cycle if you are over 35. It just ensures you are transferring a chromosomally normal embryo that will give you the best chance at pregnancy. Knowing the gender is just a perk that comes along with that testing.

nuthinbutpink
July 26th, 2016, 01:40 PM
Have you done a consult with HRC? If not, fill out the form on here to request a consult. They will get your insurance and investigate for you!!

Giselle2016
July 26th, 2016, 02:05 PM
Have you done a consult with HRC? If not, fill out the form on here to request a consult. They will get your insurance and investigate for you!!

No I haven't because I'm still pregnant with my 3rd son and feel like it's so long away from now. I will have to do this soon enough though so I can get my info correct and know exactly what I'm going to do and how much it will cost as soon as I'm ready! U girls have been sooo helpful! Thanks a bunch!