PDA

View Full Version : Trying again after 5th miscarriage

momamia4
August 2nd, 2016, 01:54 PM
I went to see a new RE today. I'm concerned that my old RE wasn't willing to try anything to help prevent my miscarriages. He really only wanted me to do IVF, which I cannot afford. I'm convinced it's a lining issue that's caused my last 2 miscarriages. I'm looking forward to the more thorough testing this new RE will do. Miscarriages suck and I'm cautiously optimistic that I'll actually get a take home baby from my next pregnancy. I really hope this doctor can figure out what's going on. I'm definitely tired and frustrated with my body. :(

Note from atomic to Momamia and others - I had to lock this thread due to spammers posting in it repeatedly, please start a new thread and we can continue our discussion there.

XXforhubby
August 2nd, 2016, 02:44 PM
Hopefully this new RE will be able to get to the bottom of things! There has got to be something more going on here. Lining maybe or clotting factor. I'm hoping and praying that once you get a new plan of action that you'll get your rainbow baby!!!

[emoji170]DS1[emoji1379], DS2 [emoji602], & DS3 [emoji577][emoji170]
[emoji166]One last pink sway 2016[emoji166]
My Ovulation Chart (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/579920)

momamia4
August 2nd, 2016, 03:22 PM
Thank you, xxforhubby! I hope so too! He seemed to agree with me that there's something going on. He said we'd get to the bottom of it in the next few weeks. He doesn't want to waste any time, which I really appreciate.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pbn3
August 2nd, 2016, 05:23 PM
That's great news about your new RE momamia! Hope your sticky bfp is just around the corner!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk

momamia4
August 2nd, 2016, 06:09 PM
Thank you, Pbn! Same to you!

momamia4
August 4th, 2016, 02:30 PM
It seems like someone in real life is always announcing a pregnancy right after I have a miscarriage. Ugh.... Someone else to unfollow on facebook. :(

atomic sagebrush
August 4th, 2016, 02:46 PM
I'm glad you're in new hands!! Some of the RE's are so old school and just won't hear about or investigate any possible other options for helping babies stick!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

momamia4
August 5th, 2016, 10:03 AM
Yeah, I think that my old RE was too old school. I just can't believe that he didn't want me to schedule an appointment to get to the bottom of this after my 5th miscarriage?? It doesn't make me feel like he actually cares about me. I honestly feel like he only wanted my money. :/

atomic sagebrush
August 5th, 2016, 12:56 PM
Yes there seem to be a subset of the RE's that are not really very supportive at all for doing further investigation and it's good to leave those folks behind and find a more open minded medical provider.

Please keep us posted on how it is going and let us know if we can help at all.

momamia4
August 5th, 2016, 01:18 PM
I will definitely keep you posted! Thank you, atomic! :)

momamia4
August 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
I had my blood drawn for AMH and karyotyping. Is there anything else that I should request? I feel completely in the dark about all of this. I don't know what to ask.

momamia4
August 10th, 2016, 02:20 PM
So, my AMH is 2.92 ng/ml. Is that ok?

momamia4
August 10th, 2016, 02:21 PM
I'm 33. I'll be 34 in January

atomic sagebrush
August 10th, 2016, 03:00 PM
What all are they checking in the karyotyping?? All chromosomal abnormalities??

If they are not doing this already I would have them check for clotting issues and you can read about that here. Recurrent Miscarriage Evaluation/Coagulation Panel (http://www.questdiagnostics.com/testcenter/testguide.action%3Fdc%3DTS_Recurrent_Miscarriage)

atomic sagebrush
August 10th, 2016, 03:03 PM
So, my AMH is 2.92 ng/ml. Is that ok?

yes it's good!! :cheer: above average for your age!! :)

momamia4
August 10th, 2016, 03:06 PM
Yay!! My doctor is out of town this week. Yes, karyotyping for all chromosomal abnormalities. I didn't realize how freaking expensive it is until after the test. :/ Do you think if I call and request clotting tests, they'll just fax over the request to the lab? I might be able to get them to do that.

momamia4
August 10th, 2016, 03:08 PM
If not them, I could probably get my other doctor to order them and then just take the results to my RE. :D

atomic sagebrush
August 12th, 2016, 12:58 PM
It may have already been covered in the karyotyping but yes I would def. call to make sure. It is horribly expensive.

Another thing I thought you may want to have checked is your thyroid.

atomic sagebrush
August 12th, 2016, 12:59 PM
If not them, I could probably get my other doctor to order them and then just take the results to my RE. :D

Honestly, that is probably what I would do. Some of the RE's we've run into have been very against the clotting tests for reasons I do not understand and would all but refuse to order them for people. :/

momamia4
August 12th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I know my thyroid is actually way too low=hyperthyroidism. My TSH was only .03. That's way too low. I have an appointment with my thyroid doctor on the 19th to get my meds adjusted. I think that might be a contributing factor in the miscarriages.

momamia4
August 12th, 2016, 01:56 PM
I found the paper with the list that my new RE gave me for what he wants to look into. It says:
1) AMH
2) 46/46 = chromosome testing
3) TSH
4) Phospholipids - This is clotting, right?
5) Uterine testing = HSG which I already had done in Feb and it said my tubes were closed. I'm not sure if he's going to want to do another one since obviously one of my tubes is open.
6) Luteal - I assume this is to check my progesterone with cd21 blood work.

I called the office and they're at lunch. I'll call back in a few minutes and see if I can discuss this with them more. I wish he wasn't on vacation this week. :/ I really want to get all of this done asap. I'm sick of waiting.

momamia4
August 12th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Ok, I just talked with the nurse. (It might be a good thing he's gone. Hehehe!) I was able to convince her to send over the lab req for a full clotting panel. We'll see what she actually sends over. I feel such a huge relief that she went along with it! :) I just hope it tests enough stuff! I want to have all of my bases covered before I go in and talk with my RE again. I'd like him to be able to provide some definite answers. She told me to see if I could get a copy of my HSG report sent to them. I hope my old RE actually made some type of report of that happening and what the results were. He's kind of shady, so I have no idea if he actually did that. :/

momamia4
August 12th, 2016, 03:39 PM
So it's only Factor V Leiden and antiphospholipid reactive. I think there are more words for the antiphospholipid thing but I can't remember what they are.

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Phospholipids is autoimmune where your body attacks the cells. Factor V Leiden is a clotting thing but there are others and this should be tested (like MTHFR and prothrombin but this may be covered in your tests you've already done). The MTHFR is the thing that I find that some RE's are very reluctant to do as they don't always believe in it. Here is a good article that describes these in depth. Clotting Disorders and Recurrent Miscarriage - New York IVF Center (http://www.newyorkfertilityservices.com/causes-of-infertility/recurrent-miscarriage/clotting-disorders-recurrent-miscarriage/)

momamia4
August 15th, 2016, 10:54 AM
I already know I am compound heterozygous for mthfr. That's why they have me on the baby aspirin and my old RE said he'd do the heparin but only after he's sure the baby is in my uterus. The problem is that I don't think I'll make it that far without the heparin. I don't know if it's my age or what that's made my clotting worse, but I started having symptoms right after I turned 30. Is there something else I should be doing because of it?

essnce629
August 16th, 2016, 04:59 AM
I don't know if it's my age or what that's made my clotting worse, but I started having symptoms right after I turned 30. Is there something else I should be doing because of it?

You should be taking folate, not folic acid, as our bodies can't process the folic acid and instead it builds up in our blood instead. Have you been taking folate? I'm taking 3000mcg a day right now. Also, for this reason, you should avoid foods made with "enriched flour" which would have synthetic folic acid. So basically you'd need to avoid gluten/go low carb in order to avoid things with flour. That's what I have done. My folic acid and b12 levels were unusually high when I found out I was homozygous for MTHFR. Now they are in the normal range. Have them test your homocysteine levels too. Increasing your folate usually lowers them. Having high homocysteine levels can cause problems and is common in those with MTHFR mutations.

Here's a study linking recurrent miscarriages with high homocysteine levels and folate deficiency.

[Recurrent spontaneous miscarriages and hyperhomocysteinemia]. - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15531854)

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

momamia4
August 16th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Yes, I have been taking folate for 3 years now. I take a B complex with 5000 mcg of folate, which my doctor told me to take. I never thought about the enriched flour in food though. I'll have to stop eating those foods. I have had my homocysteine checked frequently over the years. It is usually too high. I'm not sure what it is right now but I think it was 7 the last time they checked it. I go see my alternative medicine doctor on Friday, so I was going to ask him to test it. That's they type of doctor that's been following my homocysteine levels for the last 3 years and who told me about my MTHFR.

4 DSs & 5 MCs in my life. Trying to get to the bottom of them & praying for a healthy DD!!

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2016, 01:11 PM
Good point on the added folic in the flour.

I swear I thought I replied to this but I think the reason why they won't do the heparin is the reversal. It makes you more likely to have an ectopic which could be potentially fatal if you were on blood thinners like heparin so they have to play it extra cautious.

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2017, 03:32 PM
Again, I do not know what might possess a person to post spam in a loss-related thread but I have reported you and if it continues, you WILL be banned.

I am pretty good at seeing through spam posts at this point, so even when you try to make them look innocent, I can still tell that you are a spammer.

If any more show up I will simply start banning every user name you post under until you get bored and give up.

Throwaway_panther
August 21st, 2017, 10:50 AM
I saw this got resurrected from spam atomic, but I wanted to ask -- is there a higher amount of folate you recommend for a history of miscarriages? I'm taking 1800mg folate from supplements plus diet (fortified foods, mango juices, greens, etc. -- the supp amounts are split between 800 in my prenatal and 1000 methylfolate). I know I don't have clotting disorders from testing years ago, so not sure if the high amount of folate other people are taking in here is purely for those and MTHFR?

atomic sagebrush
August 21st, 2017, 11:00 AM
Grr yes there was a flood of spam for a couple days there.

You are probably getting enough, and you know me and megadoses - if it isn't necessary, it makes me nervous to have you guys go much beyond the 2000. High intake folic ~may~ cause cancers to grow faster...it doesn't cause them but may make them grow. Plus, all this is somewhat experimental, who knows what other effects they haven't found yet?

But that having been said, after my 3rd little boy was born with mild spina bifida even though I was taking 800 and eating super healthy, I took 4000 with my 4th and 5th pregnancy (and you'll recall I was super old when I conceived them LOL) and I was able to get and stay pregnant pretty easily given my age, and they both seem normal and bright.

So, long story short, I would have you stick with 2000 range, just feel better about that. If you want to take more, I'd do the folate instead of the folic.

XXforhubby
August 21st, 2017, 12:50 PM
I took 2400mcg this pregnancy (800mcg 3Xs a day). Doc said that was perfect, because I lost her twin at 9 weeks. I was told that helped her continue to grow along with where she happened to implant in relation to her twin.

[emoji170]8/2010 [emoji170]6/2013 [emoji170]11/2015 [emoji170]
[emoji178]Baby Girl [emoji254]EDD 9/30/2017 [emoji178]

https://lmtm.lilypie.com/kIlmm5.png (https://lilypie.com)

atomic sagebrush
August 30th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Well, sadly I am having to lock this thread due to people posting spam in it. I cannot imagine what would possess a person to make fake posts in a loss related thread but be aware, spammers, you are NOT WELCOME here and I am outstanding at spotting spam and I always delete your posts and block you permanently. Don't bother posting here any more.

For those who were participating in this thread, we will have to move our discussion elsewhere, so sorry.