PDA

View Full Version : Folate vs folic acid?

1moregirl
August 25th, 2016, 10:51 PM
So I have been taking a folic acid supp called 'Megafol 0.5' that has each tablet containing 0.5mg of folic acid. Is this 0.5mg equivalent to 500mcg of folic acid? I have been taking 1.5 tablets per day, as well as whatever has been in my Elevit prenatal. Or should I get Blackmores Folate where each tablet contains 500mcg folic acid? Or is this Blackmores brand exactly the same as the Megafol brand I've been taking already? I guess I was expecting that if I bought a 'folate' supp it would state that the tablets contained folate and not folic acid. Thanks in advance. I'm also thinking I'll have to switch to a different prenatal supplement as Elevit is just sooooo expensive.

BunnyGirl19
August 26th, 2016, 12:32 AM
The dose is the same, although folate is a more easily absorbed form than folic acid so I would think if it said folate it would be the folate form.

purple
August 26th, 2016, 07:06 AM
I'm pretty sure the blackmores one is just folic acid.

Yep.. just looked it up:

INGREDIENTS
Folic acid 500 µg

I have always taken Blackmores Pregnancy Multi Gold as it is a lot less expensive than Elevit. I also heard that the extra iron in Elevit can make you constipated, the Blackmores one has iron but not as high dose. It can often be bought at Chemist Warehouse for $30 for about 3 months supply (the 180 capsule bottle).

1moregirl
August 26th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Argh...Purple. Thankyou soooo much Hun. I will definitely make the switch to the Blackmores pregnancy prenatal now. $30 for 30 tablets (Elevit) is just ridiculous. Especially when we have the ubiquinol to buy as well. Isn't that interesting about the folate and folic acid? It's sooo darned confusing. It says Folate so you'd think that is what would be in the tablets but no....its def folic acid isn't it? Anyone else know a brand of folate that is def folate and not folic acid?

BunnyGirl19
August 26th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I took this one when I was pregnant with the twins.

Folate as Metafolin 1000 MCG (60 Tablets) by Solgar at the Vitamin Shoppe Mobile (http://m.vitaminshoppe.com/m/p/solgar-folate-1000-mcg-as-metafolin-1000-mcg-60-tablets/sl-1014?mr:trackingCode=2E105D84-C9E0-E511-80ED-00505694403D&mr:referralID=NA&sourceType=sc&source=SHOP&acqsource=adlucent&utm_source=Shopping&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=Solgar&utm_content=SL-1014&gclid=CIi7_YrH4M4CFQmSfgodQtQAZA)

purple
August 27th, 2016, 07:10 AM
I think you might have to look at health food stores for folate, the chemists mostly have folic acid. Otherwise online is the other option.

GirlieCat
August 27th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I use same brand as BunnyGirl's link but mine is 800mcg and I take two a day.

1moregirl
August 28th, 2016, 07:39 PM
Thanks ladies. It's gonna be expensive though isn't it? Like the ubiquinol? Argh....Bugger. Sometimes I really wish I was out there and earning a living again. Things are really tight for us at the moment so I guess I'll just have to stick to folic acid. :(

GirlieCat
August 28th, 2016, 08:44 PM
I buy mine on Amazon (not sure if you have that is Australia). I paid $10.47 American dollars, for 800mcg 100 tablets. I take 2 a day so for me that is a 50 day supply.

BunnyGirl19
August 28th, 2016, 09:27 PM
I pay right around $10 a bottle at a health food store.

1moregirl
August 30th, 2016, 02:50 AM
Thanks Bunnygirl and Girliecat. I'll see what I can find online then as haven't had much luck in pharmacies or nearest health food store. :)

atomic sagebrush
August 31st, 2016, 02:06 PM
Thanks ladies. It's gonna be expensive though isn't it? Like the ubiquinol? Argh....Bugger. Sometimes I really wish I was out there and earning a living again. Things are really tight for us at the moment so I guess I'll just have to stick to folic acid. :(

Sometimes (well-meaning) people ask me why I don't demand everyone take folate because it's "better" and to protect anyone with MTHFR variations that are undiagnosed, but it's this very reason. Many people couldn't afford to do folate and most people can take folic acid perfectly fine. I think we get such better compliance with affordable folic acid instead of folate. The last thing I need to be doing is making suggestions that end up with some people not taking ANYTHING, which is what would happen if I started trying to get everyone to take folate.

atomic sagebrush
August 31st, 2016, 02:08 PM
0.5 mg = 500 mcg
1 mg = 1000 mcg

ug = mcg

MrsSparkles
September 3rd, 2016, 04:44 AM
Thanks for this info
Had just run out of the Boots Folic Acid
Ordered the Solgar Folate 800 now. Was £9 off Amazon if any UK ladies are wondering (That was for 100 tablets)