PDA

View Full Version : Are baby boys measured smaller or bigger in utero?

Burakoam
September 3rd, 2016, 11:42 PM
Interesting Question that has been nagging at me... I am
Not sure about my first two but I know my 3rd girl was always spot on for measurements. This baby sort of shocked me as being conceived on a Saturday when I had a super strong ovulation test at 12 AM on a wednsday..that's what my 6 week ultrasound claimed anyway. So back at 8 weeks and 4 days, then they say baby measures 8 weeks and 6 days... Meaning either the first measurement was off and baby really was conceived on Thursday OR baby is measuring a tiny bit bigger for its actual gestational age... Girl and boy moms..Whats your verdict? Was it different each pregnancy for you? We're your girls smaller or bigger? Boys smaller or bigger? Especially curious if you have at least one of each!

My MIL says they told her my husband was going to be a small baby... Then he came at 37 weeks and was 10 pounds lol

kc15880
September 4th, 2016, 01:55 AM
I dont hold much accuracy with any of those scans. Most friends were told they were having huge babies & then they were born quite small.

purple
September 4th, 2016, 03:36 AM
My boys measured a fews days ahead at both 7wk scans and NT scans.

This one was 4 days behind the early scan and should have been 6+6 but was 6+2. It then was 3 days ahead at the NT scan. I don't know the gender yet so it doesn't help much!

I would have thought boy babies were slightly bigger on average but I have no idea. I think it more comes down to the parents, mine are longer because DH and I are tall so our kids are tall etc.

purple
September 4th, 2016, 03:39 AM
The other thing with size is subsequent babies tend to be bigger. I was bigger than my older brother at birth but maybe if I was born first it would be different. (My younger sister was smaller but she was prem)

Babygirlquest
September 4th, 2016, 04:08 AM
My boys measured ahead but my girls have too (and they are twins). Baby boys do tend to be bigger at birth but that would only be evident at much later scans (for growth). Good luck!!!

4blue2pink
September 4th, 2016, 06:54 AM
my 5 full term babies have ranged in weight from 5lbs to 7lbs with my smallest and biggest babies born 13 months apart, both born at 39 weeks and both boys but with a 2lb weight difference! my girl was my second biggest baby.

during pregnancy i have always measured small, anywhere from 4-8 weeks behind, i was 5 weeks behind with my 5 pound boy and 8 weeks behind with my 7lb girl so for me its totally unreliable!!

fingers crossed for you that youve got your little boy this time :)

kc15880
September 4th, 2016, 07:05 AM
I should also mention that both of my boys were born exactly the same size, length & weight at the same 38+4. 3105g 50cm & 30cm head - so both on the small side. Truly amazing that they were both the same size!

BrightSky
September 4th, 2016, 08:34 AM
I got a little bit obsessed with measurements during my pregnancy as a gender clue, but I don't know how accurate it is until the very end. I've only had boys, but depending on the scan and their individual growth spurts they were both usually a few days ahead in the first and second trimester and then maybe a week ahead in the third. I do believe boys tend to be a bit bigger in utero, but I have heard of more then a few bigger girls! Including me at over 8lb!

XXforhubby
September 4th, 2016, 10:34 AM
All 3 of my boys measured ahead from the very first dating scan and all the way through.

That being said, I have friends that have girls who measured ahead as well.

FX for a blue bean!!

[emoji170]DS1[emoji1379], DS2 [emoji602], & DS3 [emoji577][emoji170]
[emoji166]One last pink sway 2016[emoji166]
My Ovulation Chart (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/579920)

jenren
September 5th, 2016, 12:25 AM
My boys all measure behind in the beginning and then normal until the end. With the exception of ds2 who measured very large, they induced me for size and he was 7lbs7oz so I put very little faith in the accuracy of ultrasounds. I will also mention my uterus is tilted which I believe is why I measure behind in the beginning

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

atomic sagebrush
September 5th, 2016, 01:55 PM
Early on, babies are babies and their size depends on measurements that are in the millimeters. There is very little variation at early ultrasounds because baby's size is a measure of its development and NOT its genetic capability for size. That kind of growth happens later on in pregnancy and while at the end of it all baby boys are on average 3.5 oz. bigger than baby girls, this is really not something that is visible that early in pregnancy.

It's not easy to measure a fetus that precisely and so it's relatively common for there to be a day or two variation just because the techs goof it up a little. :)

Now, just to be sure this is understood, just because something is an average difference does not then mean that "all boys are bigger than all girls" this is an average, just like men on average are taller than women, but there are still plenty of women that are taller than plenty of men! My daughter was my second largest baby, bigger than 3 of her older brothers!