PDA

View Full Version : quick opk ?

jennaesue
October 1st, 2011, 09:12 PM
I am bfing and have not gotten my first ppaf. I noticed some changes in cm the past few days, so I have been doing opks. Yesterday, there was no line at all. Today, there was a line that was maybe 2 shades darker than the control line. I know it's different from hpts - the line must be as dark or darker than the control line to make it a +, but could the darkening line mean my body is gearing up to O? Or is it just random?
Thanks!

atomic sagebrush
October 2nd, 2011, 11:21 AM
It can mean that you're about to O, but at the same time, it's very common when BF to have what are called practice cycles, where your body goes through the motions of your menstrual cycle but never actually releases an egg. You might even find that you get a little PMS and cramping, even spotting, in 2 weeks when "practice AF" is due.

Make a note of these days on your calendar because it is quite common that you'll begin your ACTUAL ovulation on the same days that your body has its practice cycles. Also, it's quite common that these dates will correspond to what your menstrual cycle was doing before you gave birth. Example, my DS 1 and 2 are both born on the 9th of the month and then 13 years later, DS 3 and DS 4 were born only a few hours apart on the 21st and 22nd of the month. So even though my cycle did change over the 13 year time period, in each of the two sets of boys that were born close together, my body resumed Oing the same days that it had before my first pregnancy. (this is complicated and not reliable for those who had preemies, were induced, or had Caesarians)

Indira
October 2nd, 2011, 02:48 PM
Make a note of these days on your calendar because it is quite common that you'll begin your ACTUAL ovulation on the same days that your body has its practice cycles. Also, it's quite common that these dates will correspond to what your menstrual cycle was doing before you gave birth. Example, my DS 1 and 2 are both born on the 9th of the month and then 13 years later, DS 3 and DS 4 were born only a few hours apart on the 21st and 22nd of the month. So even though my cycle did change over the 13 year time period, in each of the two sets of boys that were born close together, my body resumed Oing the same days that it had before my first pregnancy. (this is complicated and not reliable for those who had preemies, were induced, or had Caesarians)

Thatīs interesting, never thought about this but it is true for me too, DS 1 and Ds 2 were both supposed to be born on the 20th of the month, DS1 came at 41+1 on the 28th and DS at 39+6 on the 19th.

jennaesue
October 2nd, 2011, 04:19 PM
That would make sense - if I am Oing or "practice Oing" now, I would get my period around the 15th - and I think my last period before I got pregnant was around Feb. 15th.

atomic sagebrush
October 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
It is really kinda crazy, isn't it!! Very handy though for TTC when BFing because you do know approximately when to DTD!!!