PDA

View Full Version : Unintentional abstain and it's time for our attempt

Katt2275
September 19th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Due to DH being sick, and some other reasons, we have not BD in a couple weeks. I should be ovulating within the next 2 days. My DH is 46. I know Atomic doesn't recommend attempting after a period of abstinence for older men, due to quality of sperm.

I haven't gotten a positive opk yet, but I probably will tomorrow. I'm thinking the best thing for us to do is to BD tonight with protection, and again tomorrow night for our actual attempt, since the sperm will be fresher. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

XXforhubby
September 19th, 2016, 09:30 PM
That's what I would do, personally. Then continue to BD every 4 days as long as you can in case O is delayed.

FX and GL to you!!

[emoji170]DS1[emoji1379], DS2 [emoji602], & DS3 [emoji577][emoji170]
[emoji166]One last pink sway 2016[emoji166]
My Ovulation Chart (http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/579920)

Katt2275
September 19th, 2016, 09:42 PM
Thank you XX! :)

GirlieCat
September 19th, 2016, 11:11 PM
I agree. Good luck Katt.

atomic sagebrush
September 20th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I realize this is done now but I would have NOT had the protected attempt and just gone for it.

Sperm is weird stuff, it is NOT "made fresh" every new day and that abstain actually harmed the second batch of sperm too (if it did, in fact) So by chucking that first batch, all you did in essence was reduce numbers. Now I still think you should absolutely try anyway, but it didn't "fix" the issue with abstain and may have simply reduced the likelihood that you'll get pregnant from this attempt.

The reason I am down on abstain is NOT because it is "everyone who uses iit will have a baby with 17 heads" but because I do not think it's flawlessly safe as a sway tactic. So I warn people off of it not because it is a surefire (or even high chance) way of having a baby with issues, it's because there is a distant chance of that. Since abstain does nothing anyway, why NOT try to avoid a distant chance, you know?? But it is not something that you should skip a month because of, either. I hope that makes sense it's a bit hard to explain.

Katt2275
September 22nd, 2016, 07:25 PM
I realize this is done now but I would have NOT had the protected attempt and just gone for it.

Sperm is weird stuff, it is NOT "made fresh" every new day and that abstain actually harmed the second batch of sperm too (if it did, in fact) So by chucking that first batch, all you did in essence was reduce numbers. Now I still think you should absolutely try anyway, but it didn't "fix" the issue with abstain and may have simply reduced the likelihood that you'll get pregnant from this attempt.

The reason I am down on abstain is NOT because it is "everyone who uses iit will have a baby with 17 heads" but because I do not think it's flawlessly safe as a sway tactic. So I warn people off of it not because it is a surefire (or even high chance) way of having a baby with issues, it's because there is a distant chance of that. Since abstain does nothing anyway, why NOT try to avoid a distant chance, you know?? But it is not something that you should skip a month because of, either. I hope that makes sense it's a bit hard to explain.
Atomic, Thanks for your feedback. I'll definitely follow your advice on it in the future. I was trying to be extra cautious. I wasn't sure how important it is to use newer sperm. I had remembered seeing something about the risk involved when older men abstain for too long. At my age though, since the risk is small, I'd probably be better off focusing on the best chance of conceiving. Thanks again. [emoji4]

atomic sagebrush
September 23rd, 2016, 09:03 PM
It's probably vanishingly small, but my way of thinking is, if we CAN avoid even a vanishingly small risk, why not, since it doesn't sway anyway it doesn't appear. :) I hope that makes sense. I'm being conservative with something that has been used as a sway tactic, it is NOT that I think that for 999 out of 1000 people that this causes any harm at all.