PDA

View Full Version : Successful girl sway birth story with pics

Hex
November 30th, 2016, 07:16 PM
I sort of dropped off the face of the earth after I posted my sway and updated that I was expecting my desired gender - sorry about that. But our little lady was born on November 9th and I thought I would come and update and post her birth story. :-) This is probably going to be incredibly long...

Both of my sons were born at 39 weeks gestation so I of course figured this one would be too. Well she had other plans. After having my membranes stripped twice, I showed up to my 40 week appointment to learn our daughter had changed positions to transverse. Not sure how she managed that at 40 weeks as she had been head down even just the week before, but they scheduled me for a csection and I was pretty devastated considering I had two successful unmedicated natural births prior and I really enjoy giving birth, but anything to get baby here safely.
I spent the 2 days between my appointment and the scheduled csection trying exercises to turn the baby. The night before I swear I could feel her trying to flip but it felt like she kept drifting back.
That morning I also had some bloody show (which I had also had at 38 weeks but had gone away).
When I got to the hospital they started prepping me for the surgery and I was hooked up to the fetal monitor to find I was having contractions 2-4 minutes apart (I don't feel my contractions very strongly until later stages of labor). Later my midwife came in with the OB to check baby's position by ultrasound to see if we could avoid csection at the last minute.
It was so funny to see her on the ultrasound screen because she looked like she was literally trying to dive head down. Her chin was to her chest and everything lol. But she was head down and low enough that they pushed her deeper into my pelvis and broke my water - which didn't want to break at first. So they put a binder on my belly to hold baby into position and started pitocin and brought me into the delivery room. The midwife attempted again to break my water and it did break. There was A LOT of water - which might explain how she was able to go transverse at 40 weeks. The midwife checked me - I think to make sure she could feel baby's head engaged in my pelvis- and she informed me that she felt baby's hand! I asked her if she was shaking hands with my baby and if she could move her hand and she tried and could not but said it shouldn't effect anything so on we went. This was all shortly after noon. Afrer my water was broken and the pitocin was started I progressed quickly. The midwife came in and checked on me a few times - the contractions started to get pretty intense and she checked me and I was 8 cm. Not quite feeling the urge to push yet but I started feeling the urge just a couple of minutes after she checked me - and I had gone to 9 cm, and started sort of pushing and was fully dilated to 10 at exactly 3 pm. I pushed for a while sitting up, squatting, then instinctively took the hands and knees position and pushed her out in one big push. The contractions were definitely more painful than they were with either of my sons, I think her arm being by her head was why they were more painful. It felt like a sharp pain in the lower part of my uterus.
She was born at 3:11 pm on Nov 9th after 11 minutes of pushing. She was 8 lbs 6 oz and 20 inches long. Her name is Claire and we are in love.
It was funny also because the nurses and midwife and I were talking about gender swaying during my labor and I mentioned this website and quickly summarized the trivers Willard hypothesis and why dr shettles was wrong about x and y sperm being different sizes and speeds.

purple
November 30th, 2016, 09:52 PM
Aww she is very cute! Congratulations! That is great you avoided a csection in the end.

Kawazza
December 1st, 2016, 03:09 AM
Congratulations on your beautiful angel

MrsSparkles
December 1st, 2016, 03:32 AM
She's so pretty !
Congratulations

Pink Pony
December 1st, 2016, 06:11 AM
Awww so precious - blessed x

atomic sagebrush
December 1st, 2016, 02:49 PM
She is just lovely Hex!! That is so awesome that you dodged the c-section in the end. I had that same scenario where they were talkin g c-section (I had a mild placenta previa) right till baby was born...I seriously felt like I dodged a firing squad LOL.

Thank you so much for sharing and wishing you every happiness with your beautiful family.

Throwaway_panther
December 9th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Congratulations!! How wonderful you ended up getting the birth you desired! My daughter came out with her arm up too -- my midwife said I wouldn't have torn at all if not for that hand ;)

Hope you're feeling better!!