PDA

View Full Version : Does PCO/S sway Blue?

xnicolax
January 10th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Its all in the title really. I have only recently discovered that I have PCO and have not had any testing yet to see if I have PCOS and I have 4 boys. I have read the posts about needing to lower testosterone when ttc a girl but PCO/S sufferers usually have higher levels of testosterone.

atomic sagebrush
January 10th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Yes, it does, but it does not render it impossible to conceive daughters. In addition to the testosterone factor, you also make more estrogen (may sway blue, but less evidence for that than for testosterone) and also raises your blood sugar levels (lots of evidence indicates higher blood sugar levels = more sons). But I repeat, it is NOT impossible for you to conceive a daughter.

Losing some weight will help lower your testosterone and get your blood sugar under control, even more so for you than for a person without PCO. Just weight loss alone is enough to get PCO under control for many people.

Your doctor may also prescribe metformin to control your blood sugar, clomid to help you ovulate, spironolactone to reduce testosterone levels. Birth control pills may be prescribed to regulate your cycles. Metformin, clomid, and birth control pills have been proven to sway pink, so don't worry if you're prescribed them. Spironolactone, I haven't read enough about to know whether or not it sways.

Viene
January 10th, 2011, 12:09 PM
As Atomic said it doesn't mean it is impossible to conceive a girl. Not all people with PCOS have high testosterone. Many have normal levels of testosterone. Do you have any symptoms of high testosterone such as acne, oily hair and skin, facial hair/whiskers, scalp hair loss, muscular, dominant personality, etc?

Also as atomic said, there are medications that can be given to help of medications. Spironolactone decreases testosterone on one hand, but on the other hand it is potassium sparing so it tries to hold on to it which higher potassium sways boy.

I'm curious, what did s/he base your diagnosis on without any testing?

atomic sagebrush
January 10th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Also, Valerie Grant (the researcher who came up with the whole notion that testosterone affects gender ratio) believes that it's not your actual levels of testosterone per se that matter, it's CHANGES in your testosterone levels. So if you have sky high levels that drop (even if you end up still having higher than average levels) that may very well still sway pink.

xnicolax
January 10th, 2011, 01:52 PM
We found tha I had it when I had a scan on my ovaries when I was having my IVF cycle in August. She said I have PCO but further testing would be needed to see if I have PCOS. She thought it was unlikely I had got to my age (29) without knowing but not all people with PCO/S have issues with fertility, which I havent. I do have mild acne on my back, I have oily skin in places, very greasy hair. I have no facial hair but I am very hairy on my legs/bikini line. I also have irregular periods and always have. I am currently a healthy weight but have had issues in the past with it. I have an appointment for tomorrow to get my insulin levels checked.

Its good to know its not impossible to conceive a girl, I am trying IVF 1 more time in the summer but if it fails again I want to get straight into swaying. Is there less chance swaying will work with it?

xnicolax
January 10th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Oh yes, and im VERY dominant!