PDA

View Full Version : Want to be happy? have two daughters

nuthinbutpink
October 11th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I guess I should have stopped while I was ahead! Who knew. :rolleyes:

Researchers came to the conclusion after examining the lives of families with different combinations of children, both male and female.

The results show of all the variations, two girls make for the most harmonious family life as they are unlikely to fight, will play nicely and are generally a pleasure to be around.

It also emerged two girls rarely annoy their parents, make limited noise, often confide in their parents and are unlikely to wind each other up or ignore each other.

By contrast, doubling the number of daughters is likely to lead to a whole world of pain, the report found.

Mums and dads with four girls turned out to be the least happy with family life overall, with one in four of those admitting they were not 100 per cent happy with their lot - and one in three finding it hard to cope on a daily basis.

Parents of four girls also admitted to having to cope with an average of four fights or arguments a day, the study of 2,116 parents of children aged 16 and under revealed.

Faye Mingo, spokeswoman for www.bounty.com, said: ''The mums and dads we polled obviously dearly love their children, but those with bigger families find it much harder to keep the peace on a daily basis.

''The findings were absolutely fascinating - we often assume little girls behave like angels, and if you have two this certainly seems to be the case.

''But the more girls you have the more of a handful they become - more so than boys in fact.

''In fact, going from two to four girls seem to take parents from one extreme to the other - whilst doubling the amount of boys has much less impact.

''We expected two, three or four boys to come out as the most difficult combination of children to have, purely because of their energetic and boisterous personalities.''

The study looked into families with twelve different combinations of children, excluding only children but including everything from a brother and sister to four of the same sex.

Mums and dads were asked to rank their children's behaviour within the family unit based on a string of categories including ease of care, compatibility and overall behaviour.

Two girls scored highly in every category. They were 'easy to reason' with, 'helped around the house' and generally 'liked each other'.

But parents of four girls ranked them at the lower end of the spectrum in most sectors due in no small measure to the sheer workload managing four youngsters who regularly squabble and know how to wind each other up.

Two thirds of mums and dads of four girls have had to buy a bigger house and car.

They also find it impossible dealing with everyone when they're ill and spend most of the time encouraging the girls to get on.

In fact, mums and dads with four children of any gender found it harder, the results showed.

And meal times, mornings and the bedtime routine emerged as key areas which become difficult with four children.

Parents with four children also admitted neglecting one or more of their children on occasion, and find it harder to share their attention equally amongst everyone.

Other difficult combinations of children include two boys and two girls, three girls and one boy, and three boys and one girl - although 62 per cent of parents with this combination would have exactly the same number of children if they had their time again.

After two girls, the second most satisfactory combination of children was one boy and one girl.

Eighty six per cent of parents with one of each gender said they would honestly say their children were friends.

Parents of one girl and one boy also commented that they rarely argue over toys, belongings and who can have what.

The report found one of each gender can also be reasoned with easily, making it easy for mums and dads to quickly sort out problems.

The only downside of having a boy and a girl was a lack of shared interest as they grow up.

The third easiest combination of children was two boys.

Parents of two boys revealed they frequently pay each other lots of attention day to day, and are often best of friends throughout their childhood.

But while having two boys can be something of a pleasure when the children are little - parents can find the boys rarely confide in them as they grow up.

Faye Mingo added: ''Rightly or wrongly, many parents have a set idea about the combination of children that would make up their ideal family unit.

''But of course nature doesn't allow us to choose what we actually end up with or even what personalities our children will have.

''Every child is a blessing and there are lots of things parents can do to ensure family life is as harmonious as possible.

"Making sure quality time is spent with all children, reminding them how lucky they are to have siblings and creating family rituals such as eating and playing together can all help everyone to get the most out of family life together.''

'BEST' TO 'WORST' COMBINATIONS OF CHILDREN:

1.Two girls

2.One boy and one girl

3.Two boys

4.Three girls

5.Three boys

6.Four boys

7.Two girls and one boy

8.Two boys and one girl

9.Three boys and one girl

10.Three girls and one boy

11.Two boys and two girls

12.Four girls

BENEFITS OF HAVING TWO GIRLS:

1.Rarely noisy

2.Help around the house

3.Very few fights and arguments

4.Quite easy to reason with

5.Play together nicely

6.Rarely ignore each other

7.They confide in you

8.Very well behaved

9.Rarely try to wind each other up

10.Really like each other

NEGATIVES OF HAVING FOUR GIRLS:

1.Fight and argue all the time

2.Difficult to reason with

3.Ignore and dislike each other

4.Bedtime routine is a nightmare

5.Create a lot of noise around the house

6.Rarely confide in you

7.Hard to deal with when ill

8.Takes ages getting ready for school

9.Had to buy a bigger house and car

10.Hard to cope with on a daily basis

nuthinbutpink
October 11th, 2011, 08:20 PM
My combo is number 10 out of 12. Nice.

DoulaMama
October 12th, 2011, 12:08 AM
Huh. Well, I'm either going to be number 6 or number 9. Makes me rethink my want for a girl;) LOL

rainbowflower
October 12th, 2011, 05:12 AM
lol my poor parents and poor ILs!

my parents had 4 girls, my ILs had 3 girls and 1 boy (plus 2 older half-brothers for my DH)

I was thinking of having 4, but maybe now I'll stop at 3 ;)

zanacal
October 12th, 2011, 04:48 PM
What a joke, I have one sister and we gave each other (and our parents!) hell when we were growing up! They rarely fight?! Ha ha ha ha ha!

TTC5
October 12th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Well according to that our lives are a misery lol! :P

begonia
October 12th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Well according to that our lives are a misery lol! :P

Obviously then you need to have at least one more, then you'll be off the charts :bigsmile: Apparently they stopped their research with 4 kids ... clearly that must mean anything over 4 is pure bliss :wink:

alianaL
October 13th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Now I wanna have two daughters.

CapricornAquarius
October 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Well thats interesting, Im currently no.1, so I could end up with 1&4 or 1&7.

I think age might make a difference in the findings, while your young I think all siblings fight or atleast annoy each other, I think its the older you get that everything settles down.

Dd1 :ballerina: Dd2 :giggle: & :omg: Im :pregnant:

Hobbermittens
October 24th, 2011, 10:33 PM
Well. I am at #7 now, so I guess I will be getting lower on the list.

Proud-Mummy26
October 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I'm going to be a #7 and if we go again it's only going to get worse apparently lol

Pangea
October 25th, 2011, 06:00 AM
If I get what I want then we'll be number 8. My parents had 3 girls and a boy, so number 10 on the list! But my brother was born a long time after us girls, he was easy, I reckon they had it just as tough when it was just the three of us girls, we fought all the time.

LolaInLove
October 25th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks for posting, NBP, this is interesting! Makes me feel good about the fact that we may never have anymore, because my girls fit the bill perfectly....maybe a product of us leaving their mean bio dad and having to make a new life for ourselves when they were very young, but they are super close and I take them everywhere with me. They are like my little best friends (although I still discipline, of course!). However, I'd still love to have one more......boy or girl.

But I also want to say that even if you fall at the bottom of the "happiness" list, this is just a sampling, and each family is different and has their own dynamic. My best friend from childhood was the youngest of 4 girls and they were the happiest family I knew!

On a similar note, I have a really fascinating book called The Family Constellation, which is all about how your family makeup and birth order affect and determine, to some degree, your personality! Highly recommend if you are into this kinda stuff.

Daisy Mae
October 25th, 2011, 09:27 AM
My combo is number 10 out of 12. Nice.

I'm #11! And people tell me I have the perfect combo! LOL!

4BlueLooking4Pink
October 25th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I'm a #6 with my 4 boys... obviously we should stop right where we're at because it's only down hill from here. ;)

These surveys are comical, lol.

xnicolax
October 25th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Well I am at 6 and staying there!

I particularly found this part interesting

"Parents of four girls also admitted to having to cope with an average of four fights or arguments a day, the study of 2,116 parents of children aged 16 and under revealed."

It's hillarious, 4 fights or arguments A DAY! With 4 boys I have that on average every hour! And thats just with the older 2!

Flava
October 25th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I have 4 girls and this list is not thru for us at all.so much from it...

purplepoet20
October 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I think the happiness is based on the family and the parents desire...

My neighbor with 2 girls is the total oppisite of what it says above, their girls try to kill each other and the parents are always yelling at them and each other. I know families that have 3-5 girls and they are very happy but they never cared what they had. My mom had 2b and 2g (1g passed) and my mom was only happy with the oldest son and youngest daughter, she wanted me to die and for the yougest baby to be a girl.

I would love for my hubby to say lets have 4 kids total... having 2 each would be nice but I think I can only handle 1 girl.

queen-of-harts
October 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I dont even register on the charts lol six boys is in the realm of the unknown i suppose.

Hobbermittens
October 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM
I would have been happy with 6 boys, queen! :)

I wonder if they factored in what people WANTED for their family? I am sure that has something to do with happiness too.

Bumblebee
October 25th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I have two daughters and yes they fight and play and keep each other company, they are 16 months apart. A baby boy :babym: would really complete the family

Babymad
October 25th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Wow...I'm having my fourth so life is going to be rubbish if this is true!

My Fabulous Children
October 26th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Well. I am at #7 now, so I guess I will be getting lower on the list.

Me too!