PDA

View Full Version : Progression of Embryos

Tiny Dancer
October 13th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Hi Carole,

I have completed 2 gsn cycles now and sent a total of 22 embryos for 3 day biopsy. I have only had 2 (normals) that have reached the early blast stage. I haven't had any go farther. Wondering why that is? One was a xy and one a xx. I'm 38. On day 3 of this cycle I had 3 at 10 cell, 1 at 9 cell, and 4 at 8 cell. They seemed to be growing on schedule until the biopsy. Any opinion on why this happens with my embryos? I don't think it's the lab as others seem to get hatching blasts....

Carole
October 13th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hi Carole,

I have completed 2 gsn cycles now and sent a total of 22 embryos for 3 day biopsy. I have only had 2 (normals) that have reached the early blast stage. I haven't had any go farther. Wondering why that is? One was a xy and one a xx. I'm 38. On day 3 of this cycle I had 3 at 10 cell, 1 at 9 cell, and 4 at 8 cell. They seemed to be growing on schedule until the biopsy. Any opinion on why this happens with my embryos? I don't think it's the lab as others seem to get hatching blasts....

Dear Tiny Dancer,
It seems like you are describing two problems, very few chromosomally normal embryos and a failure to progress to blastocyst stage. Unfortunately, both of these issues are more common as we age. Chromosomal abnormality can interfere with normal progression so these two issues may be linked. Thirty eight - forty is the age range where there is a lot of variability in how hard aging hits us. Most women under 35 are considered "reproductively" young with few issues with aneuploidy (abnormal number of chromosomes in embryos). Most women over 40 are considered "advanced maternal age" and are expected to have more aneuploidy. You are in the group that could lean either way. I think you are correct in ruling out biopsy issues if others are getting better results. Best Wishes, Carole

Tiny Dancer
October 13th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the info Carole.

I noticed you are in N.C. now (my home state). I hope you like it. :-)

Carole
October 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the info Carole.

I noticed you are in N.C. now (my home state). I hope you like it. :-)

I have always loved NC- the Outerbanks was our summer vacation destination for many years when I was a kid living in Ohio. I fell in love with the coast and so I feel lucky to be able to live here now. We are enjoying getting to know Raleigh. :) Regards, Carole