PDA

View Full Version : IVF michigan + MicroSort

ICB3
February 28th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I haven't been on here in a long time but thought I'd share my story if it may help someone else. After a long haul of swaying with my second and third boy, my husband and I decided to do IVF. We went to HRC with Dr Potter (I live in Michigan). Long story short after 40 some eggs retrieved only ended up with one normal boy embryo after PGD. Our second IVF attempt we decided to try local and went to IVF Michigan and saw Dr Hammoud. After 30 some eggs retrieved we ended up with 2 normal boy embryo's. Although I was exhausted by the process and didn't think we'd try again, I was intrigued by MicroSort. I went to dr Hammoud and asked him if he'd be willing to except sorted sperm to use in my next cycle. He excitingly agreed and I was his first patient to try MicroSort. My husband flew out to Mexico and spent one night there and was able to give three samples before leaving. His sperm was sorted at a 94% girl sort and shipped frozen to IVF Michigan. On the following cycle in September 2016 20+ eggs were retrieved and the MicroSorted sperm was used. After PDG we ended up with one normal xy and one normal xx. Even after that 94% sort we still ended up with one boy! We did a FET on the next cycle and it worked! I'm currently 24 weeks pregnant with my little girl and all looks good. I'm still in shock and so blown away that we are having a girl in June. It's been a long trying road but it all seems worth it now. Good luck to everyone trying for their dream gender!

emshe
February 28th, 2017, 10:29 PM
Brilliant! Congratulations

Pepper
March 1st, 2017, 12:10 AM
Congratulations!! I am glad to know about you happy ending. Enjoy the pregnancy you had so much dreamed of.

Throwaway_panther
March 1st, 2017, 07:43 AM
Congrats! How much did the process cost you? I'm in the same area and am curious.

ICB3
March 1st, 2017, 07:58 PM
Congrats! How much did the process cost you? I'm in the same area and am curious.

IVF + PGD with dr Hammoud was I think around 15k and the MicroSort was around 3k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Floris
March 2nd, 2017, 07:55 AM
Amazing story! So happy for you! Enjoy the rest of you pregnancy. And thank you for sharing!

subban
March 8th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Amazing!! I remember your HRC cycle very well and I'm delight to know that you will have your happy ending! Enjoy the pregnancy !!

3 beautiful boys [emoji970] (10) [emoji970](7) [emoji970](4) and our HRC HT DD [emoji166] (2016)

atomic sagebrush
March 9th, 2017, 04:09 PM
Thank you for posting this. I hope that this info is helpful in demonstrating what so many of us have been saying - Microsort really isn't any kind of guarantee.

I have a friend who conceived with 92% X sperm sort and IUI back when this was an option - she had a boy.

I am so happy for you that you are getting your girl! Huge congrats!

speechless
September 27th, 2017, 04:43 PM
Congratulations!!!
Waow!!! Even after that 94% sorting there was still one boy. Shocking...
Can I have your email address pls?
I need some advice urgently....
Help!!!!
Pls.x

atomic sagebrush
September 28th, 2017, 04:11 PM
Speechless please just click my username and you can message me that way. I am happy to help but sometimes you will honestly hear from me faster here in the forums; since messages are one person at a time instead of visible to help everyone it usually is more efficient for me to do as many forum questions as I can daily and then save my messages for when I have extra time (which is sadly not that often.)

Georgia_Peach
December 6th, 2017, 05:14 PM
Ivf michigan told me that they will not do Microsoft bc it doesn't give proven results. They said they haven't done it in years?
I am confused

nicoler
December 6th, 2017, 06:35 PM
Ivf michigan told me that they will not do Microsoft bc it doesn't give proven results. They said they haven't done it in years?
I am confused

This is true. It was only in the trial phase in the US before the FDA shut it down several years ago. I believe it is still available in Mexico but the results and gender splits there have been iffy at best.

Georgia_Peach
December 6th, 2017, 06:40 PM
This is true. It was only in the trial phase in the US before the FDA shut it down several years ago. I believe it is still available in Mexico but the results and gender splits there have been iffy at best.Ahhh too bad! I'll be doing my first ivf cycle in Jan and was hoping to get that option there !

nicoler
December 6th, 2017, 06:43 PM
Just to add:

The original poster's husband flew to Mexico himself to have Microsoft done on his sperm and then had the sorted sperm shipped to Michigan to be used during her ivf cycle. For all the extra expense and trouble, the resulting gender split was equivalent to what you could get without having a sort done as she ended up with 1 XX and 1 XY.

Throwaway_panther
December 7th, 2017, 09:11 AM
Ahhh too bad! I'll be doing my first ivf cycle in Jan and was hoping to get that option there !

Are you going through IVF MI? I'm doing my monitoring there :)

atomic sagebrush
December 7th, 2017, 02:33 PM
I am confused

It doesn't as you can see from the story of my friend who got a boy with a Microsort of 93% or something like that.

Microsort DOES NOT reliably work and really is terrible for the sperm. This is ok if doing IVF/ICSI but not for any natural conceptions. And because of this, Microsort failed their FDA trials and is not used in this country any more.

atomic sagebrush
December 7th, 2017, 02:35 PM
Just to add:

The original poster's husband flew to Mexico himself to have Microsoft done on his sperm and then had the sorted sperm shipped to Michigan to be used during her ivf cycle. For all the extra expense and trouble, the resulting gender split was equivalent to what you could get without having a sort done as she ended up with 1 XX and 1 XY.

THANK YOU

Let me just point out that when using ICSI, they select a sperm (and no one can tell the difference between X and Y sperm at a glance regardless of what Dr. Shettles claimed) and inject it into the egg. It could still be X or Y!! Microsort ~may~ weed some out but you absolutely completely and totally can still get X or Y regardless of the sort!

atomic sagebrush
December 7th, 2017, 02:37 PM
And plus this ignores the question of, "If Microsort is really this hard on sperm (which we know that it is) then could there not be possible results like more abnormals anyway"

So you could possibly end up shooting yourself in the foot with MS - let's say you could have had 4 boys and 3 girls without Microsort, but you end up doing Microsort and getting 1 boy and 2 girls instead because there is some unknown issue with the sperm...you may end up with more girls than boys that way but still less girls than you might have had otherwise!

This is speculation but the rates of conception with MS/IUI were piss-poor and it's believed to be because MS is sooo hard on sperm!

Georgia_Peach
December 7th, 2017, 03:43 PM
Are you going through IVF MI? I'm doing my monitoring there :)Yes! For my transfer and egg retrieval what location are you going to?
Pm me!!