PDA

View Full Version : My 6yo cousin is very sick and made it in the new!

purplepoet20
October 14th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I just wanted to ask for some prayers... the little boy is one of my many cousins.

Logan's parents didn't know that he had phenomena when he went to school. While playing during PE he passed out and received a head injury. He was stable on full life support for over 6hrs before he woke up. He is now talking, moving fingers and toes, able to make eye contact, and is only on a little extra O2.

Do not let the news full you into thinking that the school staff saved him... they had the machine at the school but Logan went without O2 for about 10mins. The police officer was the one that used the AED to get his heart going again.

I am very pleased with Logans little friend who got help... All kids should be taught about when to get an adult :bowdown:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=17659920

atomic sagebrush
October 14th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Oh my gosh, I'm so thankful he's ok!!! :pray: that he continues to recover and doesn't suffer any ill effects.

This same thing happened to a child in our town as well and they eventually determined that a hard blow to the chest (during recess) had disrupted his heart rhythm.

zanacal
October 14th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I'll be thinking of him and I hope he's fully recovered soon x

Flava
October 14th, 2011, 12:34 PM
omg this made me cry. Im so happy he is ok , purple. So scary!

purplepoet20
October 14th, 2011, 03:41 PM
update.... Logan: via his mum "The latest from the doctor is that Logan has Long QT Syndrome. It is an issue around his heart that is treatable. He will be having surgery on Monday to install an Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillator (ICD). An ICD is a device that sends an electric shock to your heart to restore a normal heartbeat. We are asking all family and friends, if you choose, to fast on Sunday for Logan, the doctors."

I can't believe it he is such an active wild cutie!

TTC5
October 14th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Hope his sugeory goes well x

begonia
October 14th, 2011, 11:10 PM
FX for a very positive outcome Purple, keep us posted!

purplepoet20
October 15th, 2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=148&sid=17673166&title=parents-grateful-for-defibrillator-that-saved-sons-life

New update.... video of Logan and his parents! He is doing great. Thanks everyone!

Hobbermittens
October 15th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Wow, what a miracle! He is so lucky. How scary for you and the rest of your/his family!

atomic sagebrush
October 16th, 2011, 08:21 AM
That is actually really good news and very treatable! Praying that it all goes well - my understanding is that the surgery is really pretty quick too.

purplepoet20
October 17th, 2011, 04:09 PM
He has the surgery today and will be released later tonight... I am waiting on news since everyone is at the hospital waiting no one is online.

It is a very treatable condition but he is extremely lucky to be alive. Must people do die from it when it is unknown that they have it... If they hadn't started CPR right away and the police officer having the AED brought him back.

Here's the news on the little girl who helped save him
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/south/spanish-fork/article_fd165552-77f0-5d27-aee7-4af4b21949ac.html

Logan will be back to getting into trouble with his 2 bros soon... and picking on his 4 sisters ;)

purplepoet20
October 17th, 2011, 05:27 PM
More bad news... Logans surgery was canceled because his heart stopped again. After some more test they found another defect "Left Coronary Artery Ostial Atresia" from what I can tell from the research it is very rare and most of the kids that servive are under 5 years old.

The Dr's and family are trying to decide what to do... surgery=life and no surgery=:tissue: They should know by Wed so more prayers are needed!

Hobbermittens
October 18th, 2011, 01:54 PM
That's awful!! Isn't there something they can do to repair both problems?? I have him in my thoughts.

purplepoet20
October 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
They are talking to the Dr's today... waiting on news!

The family wants the surgery but the hospital staff is afraid of doing it and not being paid. The parents resently changed insurance because the old one was to costly for a family of 9... Stay at home mom and a dad who works 80hr weeks... The new insurance started a week before the incident and they are refusing to cover the bills... so far a 1wk stay, possible open heart surgery, meds, room, extended stay, and all the after care.

One good side is Logan has a big family and everyone is fund raising. Even his aunts and uncles are willing to take loans on their homes to pay for it.

There will be starting a donation link soon. I will post it if anyone wants to help by sending a little.

purplepoet20
October 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
If anyone is on Facebook they have a "Logan The Warrior" fan page... with pictures and updates!

purplepoet20
October 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
Logan's surgery has been set for today... He will be having open chest surgery which will include inserting a defibrillator at 9:30 today. The entire time from prep to surgery completion will be between 4 to 6 hours. I will try to update everyone after he surgery is completed.

Please pray for Logan today!

Hobbermittens
October 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM
I will be thinking positive thoughts for Logan today!!! I hope everything goes well and he gets all fixed up.

purplepoet20
October 21st, 2011, 04:16 PM
Please someone tell me that 5hrs into surgery is good... they said 4-6 but I am getting a little worried!

zanacal
October 21st, 2011, 04:20 PM
Gosh purple, what a scary time. {hugs}

purplepoet20
October 21st, 2011, 06:25 PM
:bluecheer: Logan's OK :bluecheer:

His surgery took 5 1/2 hrs and they are just finishing up by putting the ICD in.

Hobbermittens
October 22nd, 2011, 03:46 PM
That's wonderful! I hope he stays strong! I will keep him in my thoughts! :)

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 04:30 PM
Everything went great and he even slept for 8hrs last night, he hasn't slept more then 30mins since he wake up Thurday night in the hospital (a week ago). They said everything went perfectly and he should be back to being an almost normal 6yo soon!

purplepoet20
October 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
A word or two from Loagn's mom...

You may wonder do miracles happen in these times? Does God love us even when we are being tested. I can testify that YES HE DOES! In the Powell family miracles have been happening every day for the last 11 days. The series of events that have led to where we are now are not a coincedence. They are miracles! He was at school, not on his way to school, not sleeping at home in bed, not at a friends. School! From Hallie at the school knowing what to look for when Logan passed out to the office staff doing CPR (people are not willing to do breaths the ladies at the school didn't hesitate!I have heard that this keep oxygen to his body saved him neurologically) to police 2 min response time!! and ambulance who did there jobs in a moment of intense stress. I was with friends who could drive me to hospital so I could have the support emotionally. My dearest friends and family that were able to be at the hospital when life light took him to Primary Childrens Hospital. I cant thank all invovled enough we have been so blessed! Every day is a treasure for us right now. We are humbled by all of your service!

Hobbermittens
October 23rd, 2011, 11:57 AM
That's great news!!

DoulaMama
October 23rd, 2011, 12:39 PM
Wow! Just read through this thread and am very happy to see that he's doing well after all he has been through!!! I will keep Logan and his family in my thoughts and prayers!!!

zanacal
October 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
That's wonderful news x

purplepoet20
October 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
48hrs after surgery Logan was pushing his oldest sister in a wheel chair around the hospital... he should be the next football star in no time!

rainbowflower
October 24th, 2011, 01:28 PM
what a little fighter, hope he keeps on improving!

purplepoet20
October 28th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Logan and his 2 hero's in the news... http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17854426#.TqqeWhubTv4.facebook

Hobbermittens
October 28th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yay Logan! So glad he's getting better!

Out of the Blue
October 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Late to the thread but sending up some prayers for Logan. Sounds like one wonderful kiddo!:superhero: