PDA

View Full Version : No sugar, dairy, plastic for Nicole Richie’s kids

nuthinbutpink
January 10th, 2011, 06:12 PM
by Carolyn Robertson
Moms on the Edge

Nicole Richie‘s daughter Harlow celebrated her 3rd birthday at a star-studded bash in Beverly Hills this weekend. The A-list guest list included Gwen Stefani’s sons Kingston and Zuma, Jessica Alba’s daughter Honor, Kourtney Kardashian’s son Mason, Tobey Maguire’s kids Ruby and Otis, Sara Gilbert’s daughter Sawyer. Just to name a few.

The highlight for the birthday girl may have been the cake – if there was one. Her designer mom recently revealed that she insists on a very healthy diet for Harlow and her little brother Sparrow, saying “Sugar is obviously a big no-no.”

“I was at a birthday party and there was a cupcake with all this pink icing and there was a blueberry on top of the cupcake,” Nicole says. “Harlow looked at it and her eyes got so wide and she was like ‘Ohh,’ and I was like, ‘Oh boy, here we go,’ and she was like ‘Blueberries!’ So I went to the kitchen and got her a whole thing of blueberries. And she was happy.”

Unfortunately Nicole has to deal with a bit of diet sabotage from her new husband Joel Madden!

“Joel is not on the same page as me. My kids don’t have dairy either, but Joel does take Harlow out and she comes back and I say, ‘How was your dinner?’ and she says, ‘Good, we had pizza!’ I’m like, ‘OK, OK.’… I have my own ways, Joel is not me and I have to let him be a dad and I have to let him do his thing.”

Sugar and dairy aren’t the only things that have been banned in the Richie-Madden household: “We don’t use battery-operated toys, we don’t use plastic,” Nicole adds.

Are you extra diligent about your kids’ diets? Are there certain foods you don’t allow? How about the kids’ toys?

atomic sagebrush
January 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I found this adorable and obnoxious all at the same time! :) I think it's so cute before they get disillusioned!!

RedCanoe
January 10th, 2011, 08:14 PM
:rolleyes:

Seriously, anytime that parents restrict something to that extent, the kids just go nuts with it later, when they get the chance to. Not to mention that there is nothing really wrong with sugar, dairy or plastic. Teach kids moderation and they will be much better off, imo.

nuthinbutpink
January 10th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I think she sounds like a freak show. No battery operated toys? Do they make solar powered toys?? That no sugar thing will work out real well in the end too when DD starts eating everything she can get her hands on at her friends' homes! Seriously? What's wrong with moderation?

fourblessings4me
January 10th, 2011, 11:51 PM
eh, if it makes her feel good regarding her parenting, what the heck. I'm sure this won't last much longer, though. Can't even imagine the effort that would take. lol.

lindi
January 11th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I agree with the no battery powered toys thing for babies and toddlers. I hope that's not freakish! I just believe in active rather than passive toys, and at an early developmental stage it helps when children can "see" what makes something "go"- instead of pressing a button and something lights up, which doesn't really leave any further room for exploration. I also get driven crazy by hearing the same sounds over and over again from things that make recorded sounds. I get where she's coming from with that. But studies have been done where older children who were banned from sugar end up eating more total sugar than children who have had reasonable access to it in their homes growing up, so that might kinda backfire on her?

chachamama
January 11th, 2011, 09:01 AM
The only thing I can go along with is the no plastic - if I had the money they did, I'd probably try to do no plastic too. I'd buy organic everything.

But I don't have their money, so almost every toy we own is plastic... LOL

xnicolax
January 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I dont know, I think people like her do things like this for publicity. Honestly, if she was a normal mother I dont think she would be doing it. We all have our things that we like and dont like etc. But this is a bit extreme and she has the money behind her to do it. Im betting she hasn't made very many of the meals for the kids herself because who could keep up with it? Good on her husband for giving the kids a treat!

Viene
January 11th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I would say that I am pretty diligent with my son's diet. The biggest reason is that I have always had a weight problem and I would like to start him off right with liking to eat veggies and fruit and not care for sweets or junk food too much. He got cake for his birthday though and gagged on it. I know once I have more kids I won't be able to be as diligent. And I also know that when he gets older he will eat other things and that's fine, but as long as he likes the healthy food I give him I will keep doing so. He does get sugar in some things, but not things like cookies, pie or candy type things.

prettyinpink18
January 15th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Seems bizarre and a bit unrealistic to me. I agree with a pp, anytime you so harshly restrict something, that kid will go insane for it later on when they finally get their hands on it.