PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to sell my old childhood toys!

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 04:25 PM
:HH: So to explan a little without writing a book...

:hide: I have 2 Cabbage Patch Dolls... I got a Newborn one when I was born, a few years ago ;) and a Kid one when I was 5. I did have a third that my mother made but it was a horrible sewing job, I gave it away. I played with them a little but only when my mother made me. Honestly I found them scary and I would hide them in a locked trunk at night. :hide:

:fight: I have a small set of Barbie Dolls... I only liked to changed their clothing and brush their hair. I never played family or anything because I didn't know how families were suppose to act. :fight:

I didn't have many toys or much of anything growing up, we were not poor but my mother cared about her needs only when it came to food, clothing, haircuts, bathroom products, and etc... I could fit all the toys I ever got in a backpack. And I could fit my clothing in a single drawer. I saved them anyways I guess maybe I thought I wouldn't be able to buy toys for my kids, I don't know. Lately I have been looking at what I have. I don't think I want to see my daughter playing with them. They make me hate my childhood memories and playing with them.

:fami03: I want to sew a dozen or more cloth babies and dolls for my daughter. Also I want to get the cradles, highchairs, strollers, outfits and so on... the things I wanted. I already have a play house and kitchen (for all my kids to use). Really I just want to forget my past and start fresh with my daughter and my boys too! I love learning to play, pretend, and whatever with my boys :fami03:

:think: This is ok right... I can sell my old toys and the bad feelings I remember as a child. Will I be able to forget the feelings/memories as I play with a doll I made with all my love :HH:

nuthinbutpink
October 22nd, 2011, 04:45 PM
The cabbage patch kids might be worth some money. Babyland General is not too far from where I live and some of them we found out are worth some money. I have a Pal- which is a boy that is hand signed by Xavier Roberts on the butt- not stamped- -and he is worth some money.

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 05:01 PM
But how do find out how much one is worth? Mine don't have the original clothing or certificates. But overall they are very clean. I don't know how to tell if the butt is stamped or signed, I am guessing stamped.

TTC5
October 22nd, 2011, 05:17 PM
Def see if they are worth anything before giving them away :)

nuthinbutpink
October 22nd, 2011, 05:18 PM
He siged them with a Sharpie if it is handsigned and it is really thick. Most are stamped. Just look on ebay. They don't go for all that much- under $100 for the old stamped ones.

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 05:19 PM
I looked on ebay and dolls similar to mine run about $15-$20 at the starting bid... Maybe I could sell them for $20 but I don't know if I care for the money.

TTC5
October 22nd, 2011, 05:21 PM
Give the money to your boys, or take them out to lunch :)

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Here they are... they have the stamped butt.

purplepoet20
October 22nd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Give the money to your boys, or take them out to lunch :)

I would give them the money but they wouldn't know what to do with it... DS2 will taste it first and then rip it up and DS1 may put it in his pocket of piggy bank and play with it.

love being a mummy
October 23rd, 2011, 06:07 AM
If you don't really care about the money. IMO I think you should burn them.
Write a letter to your mum let it all out, your feelings about your childhood etc get everything off your chest and then burn the letter with the toys and let go off all the negative feelings.

purplepoet20
October 23rd, 2011, 11:25 AM
My mom knows my feelings about her... in 2006 she gave me a birthday card but instead of saying something nice she blamed me for everything wrong in her own childhood to her current problems. I should have known something was wrong because that was the first card she ever gave me. I have not talked, seen, etc her since. My boys were born in 2008 and 2010 and she has never met them, held them, or I have never even told her anything about them. What she knows about them is from my brother or sister. In 2009 I told my bro, sis, and dad that if she ever shows up at my house or walks up to me for any reason I will release all my feelings on her face... TMI but because of her years of verbal and physical abuse, the torturous abuse she let her sister do, and the few times her boyfriends beat me... Good thing about no contact with her is she can never claim Grandparents Right because she can't prove that I wanted her in their lives and my WILL stats that she is unfit and I don't want her ever know my kids.

I still can't bring myself to burn a doll maybe the clothing they are wearing since she made them. I would give them away in our play group but I am afraid I will see them again. Maybe when I go to Las Vages for Thanksgiving I will drop them off somewhere.

... Sorry for all the details but I can't post stuff like this on facebook for my family to see. They have their own issues and don't need to hear mine.