PDA

View Full Version : Any Advice on Looooong Waking Periods at Night?

SoFullofHope
July 7th, 2017, 11:57 AM

ksmom
July 7th, 2017, 12:26 PM
We went through this phase with DS1 up until he was 2 when he finally started sleeping through the night. I got some tips from the baby whisperer forums that helped a lot. I don't remember exactly how long it took to help him go back to sleep at night, but we would lie down next to his bed with one hand on his back until he fell asleep. Then slowly over several days (weeks maybe?) we moved further and further away from his bed until he was comfortable enough to fall asleep without us in the room. It was hard, really hard especially because I was pregnant at the time but it did work. I don't know if any of this will help you but I hope it does. I know when we were going through it, I was desperate for any advice at all.

SoFullofHope
July 7th, 2017, 01:46 PM

atomic sagebrush
July 8th, 2017, 02:06 PM
Yes I've had kids go through that stage too - my solution was to let (force) them to stay up quite late at night (and while this is exhausting it's not as exhausting as that 1-2 hours in the middle of the night seemed to be) and then they were so tired they slept through the night. And if the waking took place in the morning (like 4-5 am) that was it, we were up, even if they wanted to be fussy or whatever I'd give them a bath and get them all woken up until naptime.

My kids also gave up naps quite early and I felt like once they gave up naps the sleeping problems got a lot better. Is there any way you could possibly wake him up after only 30 minutes of nap every day or is he too fussy??

SoFullofHope
July 8th, 2017, 04:06 PM

atomic sagebrush
July 8th, 2017, 06:35 PM
yes that's the hard part, giving up that alone time!! But it's only till he settles into a more healthy sleep schedule and then hopefully you'll be able to make that up with quiet time in the morning or before bed. :)

Now naps, on the other hand...I'm not sure what they are exactly, but they sound very nice. ;)

SoFullofHope
July 9th, 2017, 01:57 PM