PDA

View Full Version : Indian girls receive new names, no longer "unwanted"

squamgirl
October 23rd, 2011, 03:24 PM
Here's an interesting story....

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1070&sid=17772012&title=285-indian-girls-shed-unwanted-names-

rainbowflower
October 23rd, 2011, 03:43 PM
how disgusting that any parent could name their child that, even if they were disappointed deep down... makes me angry! If I had 20 boys no way would I name ANY of them "Unwanted".
Good that they are letting those girls change their names!

love being a mummy
October 24th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thats good that they were allowed to change their names.

Wanting a daughter
October 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I spent a year in Tanzania working as a volunteer some years ago and knew a girl named Shida. In Swahili that means Problem. Nice eh!

Flava
October 24th, 2011, 03:47 PM
This is so sad! just makes me feel even more proud of my girls! And all this boy loving parent what are they thinking just how they boys gonna get married if there is not enough girls? They should not allow to name any baby something like this.

And about the hospitals not telling the sex at the u/s im not sure it's a better idea because the they neglect the poor babys after birth and they die.9how can anyone do that??)I think that is worst.

This all about how much this cost how much that cost ,and what boys or girls allowed to do. Maybe they should slowly change things?

Yuzu
October 26th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I would love to have any of those girls for my own. They wouldn't be 'unwanted' at my house!

littlemisswilko
October 26th, 2011, 03:22 PM
how sad! similar to what goes on in china with the one child policy. Most women who find out they are pregnant with a DD terminate the pregnancy or sell them after birth as they would much prefere a son. Some other cultures are terrible how can people act in that way! its disgusting!!

Out of the Blue
October 29th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I would love to have any of those girls for my own. They wouldn't be 'unwanted' at my house!

YUP! I should only be so lucky....

So sad :[

purplepoet20
October 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I always look up the meaning of the names I liked for my kids... I couldn't imagine giving DS2 a name that meant unwanted. Charles fits him just right it means free man. Even if I have another son he will have a great name, Henry "home ruler" or Anthony (no meaning :( ) leaning toward Henry so he could have his own train too.

sobz70
October 29th, 2011, 11:51 AM
It's not a religious thing, it is definately a more cultural thing, dowry system and paying out huge amounts to get your daughter married, is not in hinduism.

Out of the Blue
October 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
It's not a religious thing, it is definately a more cultural thing, dowry system and paying out huge amounts to get your daughter married, is not in hinduism.

Yes...most definitely NOT driven by religion...all cultural.

angel-pink
November 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM
i'd never name my child anything with a horrible meaning or anythin that stood for something plain like house etc i do like a good meaning and good on the girls who changed there name

purplepoet20
November 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM
When I was younger I wanted to adopt a little girl from China just because I heard the parents would throw the babies in the ocean or leave them to die... Maybe I could adopt one for my forth child no matter what I get with baby #3.

fresas
November 5th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I have never understood the boy > girl thing, especially growing up in a house where men reigned supreme. It is beyond shocking to me that anyone would give their girl a name with such a horrible, psyche scarring meaning. Power to those girls.

Glittergirl
November 8th, 2011, 11:51 PM
effort has to be put in changing the stigma and social injustice these poor girls face.