PDA

View Full Version : To transfer 2 or 3?... That is the question!!

MAMAof4Pinks
October 26th, 2011, 11:50 AM
Just wondering what different ladies think about 2 to 3 embryos being transfered because of the amount it cost to do PGD.... mostly IVF well the whole process is it wise to transfer 3 embryos instead of 2? I need some advice and so debate on the right thing to do!!

Thanks WOMEN!!

Twins would be OK!!
:babym::babym:

nuthinbutpink
October 26th, 2011, 12:14 PM
As a fertile woman, I don't think it ever makes sense to transfer 3 embryos. What if all 3 took? Are you prepared for a very high risk pregnancy? Extended bedrest?

On a first cycle, no RE should allow 3 to be transferred. There is one member right now that transferred 2 and one split and she is carrying triplets due to that so 3 can also become 4! The 2 turning into 3 has happened 2 other times.

One or two is what 99% of us choose to do.

So, if you want twins and can afford two babies at once, transfer 2. You can freeze any extras but if you read up on here, usually there are no extras.

littlemisswilko
October 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
i agree 2 is more manageable than 3 as the risks are much higher the more babies that are in there!

MAMAof4Pinks
October 26th, 2011, 01:03 PM
:think:[QUOTE=nuthinbutpink;92310]There is one member right now that transferred 2 and one split and she is carrying triplets due to that so 3 can also become 4! The 2 turning into 3 has happened 2 other times.

QUOTE]

I-YIYI
See I'm glad I asked. My mother in Law keeps asking me what I have decided to do, because she thinks I should do 3, but I told her I could do 2, but 3.... I dont know... I already have 4 daughters so good point nuthinbut... I told my mother in law, if I decided to do 3 which is very unlikely she would ALWAYS have to help if I had more then 2.... She said I like newborns... LOL!!! I hadn't considered it but then on the other site someone was talking about transferring 3 she thought was a good idea, so then I thought oh, people do do 3...

nuthinbutpink
October 26th, 2011, 01:23 PM
:think:[QUOTE=nuthinbutpink;92310]There is one member right now that transferred 2 and one split and she is carrying triplets due to that so 3 can also become 4! The 2 turning into 3 has happened 2 other times.

QUOTE]

I-YIYI
See I'm glad I asked. My mother in Law keeps asking me what I have decided to do, because she thinks I should do 3, but I told her I could do 2, but 3.... I dont know... I already have 4 daughters so good point nuthinbut... I told my mother in law, if I decided to do 3 which is very unlikely she would ALWAYS have to help if I had more then 2.... She said I like newborns... LOL!!! I hadn't considered it but then on the other site someone was talking about transferring 3 she thought was a good idea, so then I thought oh, people do do 3...

They just don't transfer 3 unless there are repeat failures and as a last ditch effort. It is just not responsible. Your health, the health of the babies are all in jeopardy with a high multipl pregnancy. 4 to 7 kids would be a huge adjustment not to mention the expense. Newborns do grow up and 3 more cars, 3 more college tuitions, do add up!

She doesn't understand the process nor what is involved in the decision to transfer embryos. What you put back can come back out and then some in 9 months. She isn't the one that has to carry them, feed them, raise them, pay for them. It is your decision(and your DH) with your RE. No RE will recommend you transfer 3 especially since you have 4 kids already.

MAMAof4Pinks
October 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
YES I AGREE... Decision made. 2 is the most I'll transfer and with things are how they are these days I'll freeze the extras, if there are any, so if I have to do it again it'll be easy. Thank you so much.

PS I made the point to the other lady on the other site.... it is so true you might even end up with more then the most is you thought you could have with 2 embryos transfered.

Glad I came over here to this site to get some good advice I might have ended up in a pickle..

nuthinbutpink
October 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
It's a lot to process at first and we all want it to work so badly. You have to be responsible though with your decisions because you have a family already and you have to keep in mind what is best for everyone when going through this. Hope you stick around and join us!

Hoping4aPrincess
October 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
We just decided to do PGD/IVF and this was the question DH and I asked ourselves. We decided that we want to put 2 back. The possibility of 3 turning into 4 is so scary to me. I can't imagine carrying that many children. I would be so worried and scared for their health. I'm only 26 and DH is 30 and we're very fertile, so we definitely will only be putting back 2. I agree with NBP, it's about being responsible. I know we all want it to work on the first try, but is it really the responsible and safe thing to do? Esp if you're young, fertile and on your first cycle? IMO, it's not. I'm glad you decided on 2. GL to you and I hope you get your son or sons really soon!

faithuk
October 27th, 2011, 05:08 AM
After 2 failed cycles I put 3 back on my third cycle. (Guess Im part of the 1% on here!!)
I am 11 weeks pregnant with twins and I could not be more happy. xx

littlemisswilko
October 27th, 2011, 05:40 AM
faith did you have to pay for further cycles? with the first 2 failing? and congratulations on your twins xxx

nuthinbutpink
October 27th, 2011, 08:00 AM
faith did you have to pay for further cycles? with the first 2 failing? and congratulations on your twins xxx

You have to pay for each attempt. However, there are multiple-cycle packages that provide a discount but if you get pregnant the first try, you do not get any money back. It's like insurance- you pay but may not need it. There are also refund packages that may cost more but if it doesn't work you get a percentage back.

Even with previous failed cycles, if you put back 3, they can all take. It is very risky. I know a cycled that cycled 9 times and ended up with twins.

faithuk
October 27th, 2011, 08:43 AM

I cycled in Cyprus (Genesis) he does not do a package deal on cycles. You get a reduced rate each cycle.

NBP - putting 3 back is a risk BUT I really do think its down to personal choice aswell. xxxxx

MAMAof4Pinks
October 28th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Faith
Congratulations on your babies, I bet you cant wait to hold those little bundles I love when they're new. I understand what you did, honestly I cant tell you that if I kept trying with it not working that I wouldn't transfer 3, but I haven't done it at all yet so I cant really tell you how I would feel or what I would want to do if it didnt work. I can sympathise with you and understand how you feel and what you want ;)!

Nuthinbbut
I well stick around and I love your site! Thank you for all your advice I really do appreciate it, it helps to talk with people who have done these thing I want to do, because I am a very smart girl I learned A LONG time ago to learn from other peoples mistakes and experiences then learning the hard way. So lay it on thick!! ;)

Petal
October 29th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Congrats on your twins faith!!

Good luck to you mamaof4pinks x

Hoping4aPrincess
October 29th, 2011, 12:59 PM
After 2 failed cycles I put 3 back on my third cycle. (Guess Im part of the 1% on here!!)
I am 11 weeks pregnant with twins and I could not be more happy. xx

OMG I would LOVE to have twins! Congrats!