PDA

View Full Version : Want an Only Child -- Now What?

Maggie687
October 3rd, 2017, 01:19 PM
I can't use the "family balancing" argument to get gender selection treatment. I don't have any other children!

I've always wanted one child -- a daughter. There is a strong history of Aspergers in the men on my husband's side of the family and I would love to avoid SOME of that risk with a girl. (You don't have to tell me that women get Aspergers too -- I realise that. But all the research shows that boys are much more likely to suffer from it than girls.)

Some clinics (like North Cyprus IVF) don't consider my situation a problem, but I haven't heard many positive things so I'm wary. Other sources suggest that this is the end of the road for me, because it's not considered one of the approved genetic disorders that you can gender-select against.

Can anyone shed a light on any of this? I haven't read a single other post by someone in my situation. Everyone else is family balancing!

________

Posted this in the wrong place! Whoops! Don't know how to delete or move it though. (Apologies for the duplicate.)

atomic sagebrush
October 3rd, 2017, 01:26 PM
I would strongly suggest going to the US where gender selection is legal and has much better results than Cyprus.

You don't have to do family balancing. It's fine. We understand. Some of us do only want one child of a certain gender and while I"m not sure if there is anyone doing that right now we have had several people go that route in the past.

Maggie687
October 3rd, 2017, 01:31 PM
I would strongly suggest going to the US where gender selection is legal and has much better results than Cyprus.

Is gender selection legal in the US for people like me? I've only seen clinics offering family balancing.

(Thank you for the super-quick reply by-the-way!)

atomic sagebrush
October 4th, 2017, 08:04 PM
Yes it's legal here, some clinics do and some don't but the high tech ladies (I think I saw this post come through already!) will really be able to help you a lot better than I can. Good luck!