PDA

View Full Version : 2 Q's on IVF/PGD

ThroughWithBlue
October 31st, 2011, 03:00 PM
Hello, we are trying to explore all our options and I'm looking to PGD right now, trying to do some research so next time DH & I discuss things I can talk to him about this.
DH & I are pretty young right now, I'm 23 and he's 24. We'd probably both be 25 when we'd be looking to do IVF. Being so young are our chances pretty high of the IVF working first round? I've heard that people who conceive easily naturally don't conceive easily through IVF. I had zero problem getting pregnant 2 times with my 2 boys (almost 2 and 9 months old)
For those who have done this, was the price you were quoted close to what you paid? I worry there will be extra fees. I was quoted a very good price and think it may be too good to be true.
Oh, one more question. Being DH is military chances of us being close to a clinic is slim to none as we are overseas right now. How did it work with commuting the clinic? I'd guess you'd just get a hotel for a few weeks? Then I guess flying back would be ok? Even if it was an international flight? We're in Japan right now, so a flight from CA (where I'm looking at) to Japan is around 18 hours of just flying.

nuthinbutpink
October 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
If it doesn't work for you on the first try, then I don't know who it will work for!! Seriously, you are so young you should not have a problem.

Around $12,000 plus Meds plus travel give or take.

ThroughWithBlue
October 31st, 2011, 03:21 PM
Aw you're so sweet. Well I was quoted $9500 for a "special military family rate" at HRC in San Diego (May have been LA but I think it was SD). He said I probably would qual for free meds and Tricare would cover 2 of my initial appointments.

Can you claim it on your taxes? I was googling it and came across some information. You can claim it if the medical expenses were over 7.5% or your income that year. Not sure if that means I could claim the entire $9000 and get it back? I know that's not the case haha but I just don't know how much we would get back. I'm sorry I really know nothing about taxes. We always have easy taxes and never have to claim anything like this.

This is looking like it is a very reasonable option. I'm so excited.

nuthinbutpink
October 31st, 2011, 04:13 PM
I hope you do get a discount for serving! That's great! You do get to write it off but you won't get the total amount back- just the amount credited back over the 7.5% I believe which is still a big portion. You'd have to ask a tax attorney that- I know we never get the full credit of any write-offs!

Good luck!

ThroughWithBlue
October 31st, 2011, 04:45 PM
oh ok great, at least i know who to ask now. thanks!

MAMAof4Pinks
November 2nd, 2011, 12:12 AM
Nuthinbut

$12,000 for IVF/PGD?? I thought it was around $15,000.00 just for IVF is HRC a really great deal??? I did not know this. Everywhere I have looked quoted me around $20,000 thats with meds. Meds being around $4000.00.