PDA

View Full Version : Exercise during pregnancy

ELP
November 2nd, 2011, 10:30 AM
I bought a cross-trainer yesterday for the family to use as my elder 2 children are bigger than they should be! Is it safe for me to gently use do you think? Only I mentioned to a friend about it and she thought it wasn't recommended to start any new activities during pregnancy but existing exercises are ok, so if you used one before then its fine to carry on but you shouldn't put new strain on your body. Makes sense I suppose, but I know I wouldn't be going crazy on it lol. A bit of gently exercise wouldn't go amiss atm :)

zanacal
November 2nd, 2011, 03:20 PM
I would be careful on the x-trainer because it stretches your legs quite a bit and with the extra relaxin in your body you might find you pull your muscles very easily if you're not used to that action - although, I'm always looking for excuses not to exercise!

purplepoet20
November 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Honestly at 20wks only certain exercises should be done.... No machines, weight, or anything that has a lot on movements. A pregnancy yoga or palites and normal labor prep exercises ar good. You don't want to run the risk of early labor or worse.

Flava
November 2nd, 2011, 03:31 PM
I think a walk is just fine. How did you get to 20 weeks????omg time is flying!

CapricornAquarius
November 2nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
I asked this question at my gym & the personal trainer said if you were doing exercise before you were preg, that being weights, treadmil ect you can continue, just nothing new.
Im still taking it easy though!
Personaly i wouldnt want to use a treadmil incase you lose your balance.

TTC5
November 2nd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I would just go walking, if that is possible?

ELP
November 4th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks ladies:) I think I will give it a miss then until after little one is born:agree: I can just practise being the coach instead :bigsmile:

ELP
November 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I think a walk is just fine. How did you get to 20 weeks????omg time is flying!I know!! Only 3 weeks til viable:bluecheer:

LolaInLove
November 4th, 2011, 04:41 PM
I asked this question at my gym & the personal trainer said if you were doing exercise before you were preg, that being weights, treadmil ect you can continue, just nothing new.
Im still taking it easy though!
Personaly i wouldnt want to use a treadmil incase you lose your balance.

This is exactly right. I used to be a total gym rat, and when I got pg with #2, I just on doing everything up until about a week before I had her. I would lift weights and use the treadmill with a brisk walk, but nothing that bounced me too much, and nothing that got me heaving for breath and my heart pounding out of my chest like you want to do when you are working out and not pg. It is actually really good for you to walk and work out when pg! I walked the dog everyday and did prenatal yoga with both also and I swear, I bounced back easier because of it.

As far as losing your balance, you can hold the arm rails (assuming your new treadmill has them, most do) if you need.

If you do nothing else, get a prenatal yoga dvd or check out a library book and learn the stretches and do those and kegels, the vag muscle exercises. I am sure you do pretty good with L&D though as you're a veteran mama now, ELP!