PDA

View Full Version : What should I expect with twins?

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Just found out today that I'm having twins! I'm thrilled and wondering if anyone can help me know what to expect...

How much weight did you gain?
How many weeks were your twins born at?
What are the risks of carrying twins?
Anyone have to be on bed rest with twins?

Tia! I'm anxious!

onlythelonely
November 8th, 2011, 01:25 AM
Hi
I gained about 9 kilo's but I am classed as overweight so didn't need to gain as much. For someone with an average BMI my OB reccommends about 15kgs
My Boys were delivered by planned C-Section at 38 weeks
Their weights were 5lb 6oz and 6lb 7oz. The smallest 1 spent 7 days in hospital the biggest one came home with me 4 days.
i did not have to be put on bed rest but just to take things easy in the last trimester.

Hope that helps. Twins are a true blessing and while it does make things a bit more hectic in the begining it is well and truly worth it. It is great to see the special bond that they have. My boys still sleep in the same bed and have to touch each other while they sleep and they are 3 1/2 now.

Hope everything goes great for you. Good luck and enjoy.

TTC5
November 8th, 2011, 01:40 AM
Congrats!!!!

sweetsister
November 8th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Congratulations! Sorry no advice,but my sister had twin girls after 2 boys,, just wondering did you sway for them,can you share it if so?

faithuk
November 8th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Thanx for this thread Tiny. I have so many questions about having twins.
Im so excited but really nervous aswell xxxxxx

Sunset
November 8th, 2011, 05:59 AM
congrats!!! :)

Daisy Mae
November 8th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I made it to 38w1d. No bedrest. I did stop driving around 2-3 before delivery b/c my belly was so big. Repeat c-section. Babies were 6.6 and 6.8 at birth. No NICU time. I was HUGE! To be honest, I am fatty patty while pregnant. I always gain a lot of weight while pregnant. And I didn't really gain any more weight than I did with my singletons, but I still gained about 70 pounds. YIKES! I never read Barbara Luke's book on multiples, but it is supposedly the guru of twin books. She suggests gaining weight early in your pregnancy b/c that would come in handy if you ended up in preterm labor and had to deliver early. Oh, and protein. She really pushes protein.

Oh, and my dr. said that it isn't usually preterm labor that causes twins to be delivered early. He said that usually high blood pressure or gestational diabetes is what gets you! I did have one scare of PTL, but it was a false alarm. Even at 38w1d with 13 pounds of baby, I wasn't even dilated.

Btw, I am bfing both girls. It can be done!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hi
I gained about 9 kilo's but I am classed as overweight so didn't need to gain as much. For someone with an average BMI my OB reccommends about 15kgs
My Boys were delivered by planned C-Section at 38 weeks
Their weights were 5lb 6oz and 6lb 7oz. The smallest 1 spent 7 days in hospital the biggest one came home with me 4 days.
i did not have to be put on bed rest but just to take things easy in the last trimester.

Hope that helps. Twins are a true blessing and while it does make things a bit more hectic in the begining it is well and truly worth it. It is great to see the special bond that they have. My boys still sleep in the same bed and have to touch each other while they sleep and they are 3 1/2 now.

Hope everything goes great for you. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for all the great info. I love how bonded your boys are, that is just precious! I think about mine in there now listening to each others heart beats. I'm really excited they will have each other.

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure I will have lots more questions along the way.

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Congratulations! Sorry no advice,but my sister had twin girls after 2 boys,, just wondering did you sway for them,can you share it if so?

Thanks for the congrats!

I ended up going ht. This was my 2nd cycle.

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 11:00 PM
Thanx for this thread Tiny. I have so many questions about having twins.
Im so excited but really nervous aswell xxxxxx

Me too! And I'm sure I've just hit the tip of the ice berg with my questions and concerns. This is a whole new ballgame!

Remind me how many weeks you are? We also have 5gb now to join us on this wild adventure! :-)

begonia
November 8th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Just saying congrats!!! How wonderful :)

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 11:41 PM
I made it to 38w1d. No bedrest. I did stop driving around 2-3 before delivery b/c my belly was so big. Repeat c-section. Babies were 6.6 and 6.8 at birth. No NICU time. I was HUGE! To be honest, I am fatty patty while pregnant. I always gain a lot of weight while pregnant. And I didn't really gain any more weight than I did with my singletons, but I still gained about 70 pounds. YIKES! I never read Barbara Luke's book on multiples, but it is supposedly the guru of twin books. She suggests gaining weight early in your pregnancy b/c that would come in handy if you ended up in preterm labor and had to deliver early. Oh, and protein. She really pushes protein.

Oh, and my dr. said that it isn't usually preterm labor that causes twins to be delivered early. He said that usually high blood pressure or gestational diabetes is what gets you! I did have one scare of PTL, but it was a false alarm. Even at 38w1d with 13 pounds of baby, I wasn't even dilated.

Btw, I am bfing both girls. It can be done!

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Wonderful info as always Daisy! Wow! Can't believe you made it til 38 weeks. That's fantastic! Thanks for the book recommendation. I need to get that. I'm mostly a vegetarian but I started eating meat again over the summer to try to help with my egg quality. I'll need to really focus on getting a lot of protein.

Good to know about ptl also. That makes me feel better. So did you have a c-section? It seems like most everyone does. I guess because usually one of them is turned the wrong way?

Great news about bfing! You are my hero. I bfed both my DD's for 2 years and I plan on trying my best to do it with twins. Did you/ are you pumping also? Neither of the boys would take a bottle. Do they feed at the same time?

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Tiny Dancer
November 8th, 2011, 11:44 PM
TTC5, Sunset, and Begonia thank you for your kind wishes!

Congrats to you also Sunset and Begonia! 2012 is our year for DD's!!!

faithuk
November 15th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Hi TD I had a scan yesterday and baby A is mesuring at 14 weeks 2 days and baby B 13 weeks 4 days !!!!
Both babies are healthy and growing well. I have put on about 9lbs so far I think Im going to be huge this time.
They gave me a due date 13th May thats if I go full term with them.
I have my gender scan on the 28th December I cant wait to hear them say 2 girls.
When is your next u/s ??
Hope your keeping well xxxxxx

Tiny Dancer
November 20th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hi TD I had a scan yesterday and baby A is mesuring at 14 weeks 2 days and baby B 13 weeks 4 days !!!!
Both babies are healthy and growing well. I have put on about 9lbs so far I think Im going to be huge this time.
They gave me a due date 13th May thats if I go full term with them.
I have my gender scan on the 28th December I cant wait to hear them say 2 girls.
When is your next u/s ??
Hope your keeping well xxxxxx
Great news Faith! You are out of the 1st trimester! Can't wait to join you. I haven't weighed but I feel a lot bigger. I definitely look pregnant now, which is crazy....I'll be 9 weeks on Tuesday!

My ds1 was born on May 13th and it's always near Mothers Day in the U.S. Wonder when they will be born? My ob told me my due date for the twins is at 36 weeks which comes out to June 4th. I had another ultrasound last week with my ob and then I have one more scheduled a week from tomorrow with HRC before I "graduate". Is reassuring to see them, get the measurements, and hear their little heartbeats.

Hope you are feeling well. Can't wait to hear more updates from you.

Inglewood
December 2nd, 2011, 03:54 PM
HI, I am due May 3rd with Identical Twins (18wks now), but don't know the gender as yet. Hoping to find out on 13th Dec. I have 2 boys, swayed for a girl so FX. Been told I will be sectioned at 36wks (April 3rd) and so far have put on around 6lbs, which is ok considering I was super sick till 14wks. Will be nice to chat to other mums due twins around the same time as me!! Are ur's Identical also? I am scanned every 2 wks which is reassuring!

Inglewood
December 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Anyone due a scan soon? I have my 20wk scan on tues, so nervous and excited!

Mochagirl
December 10th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Congrats to all the ladies having twins the twins! Lots of women have healthy, non-complicated twin pregnancies, but do be prepared for things like bedrest and preterm labour because that's definitely a possibility. I was lucky in that I didn't have any of those problems.

I carried my identical twins to 37 weeks 5 days, then had a failed induction which resulted in an emergency c-section. My boys were 6 lbs 1 oz and 7 lbs. I nursed them until they were 2 - a lot of hard work in the beginning, but definitely worth it.

seven gorgeous babies
February 22nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Hey you guys!!
I only just realised this section existed :)

How you doing tiny?? Resting up I hope xx

I still have so much to get and do but just too tired! Would much rather sleep than shop!

Anyway just wanted to say hi!!