PDA

View Full Version : PGD/IVF any talks of it becoming illegal in the US?

alreadyneedivf
November 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM
I know Microsort is not allowed in the US right now. Is there any concern that IVF/PGD for family balancing will also become disallowed? I will probably do GS with IVF/PGD in about 1 to 1.5 years. Thanks!

michaela
November 13th, 2011, 06:46 PM
I can't imagine that it wouldn't be allowed. Microsort is still allowed for genetic reasons and who knows why it isn't allowed for family balancing. It could have been a number of things but so far we don't know why it isn't allowed. I don't think it has anything to do with gender selection as a whole though and you shouldn't worry that it will be illegal any time soon.

alreadyneedivf
November 13th, 2011, 06:56 PM
thanks so much michaela! I think it is just an irrational fear i have that it will become illegal. I just went through ivf process for our first and will need to do it for second child---I had a horrible pregnancy so can't imagine having more than two pregnancies. Therefore, we would love to do gs for the next one. Thanks so much!

michaela
November 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
No problem! I am also doing IVF for our first!! Good luck to you on your 2nd!

alreadyneedivf
November 13th, 2011, 08:04 PM
oh lots of good luck to you!! where are you cycling? I hope you have a successful cycle!!! are you doing gender selection for your first? we did not but were offered it.

michaela
November 13th, 2011, 08:18 PM
If we are lucky enough to have a choice I would chose to transfer a boy and a girl but at this point I will take what we can get. This will be our last IVF cycle so I can't be a chooser but I would love to have b/g twins given the chance!

alreadyneedivf
November 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM
yeah we wanted to do that also---but we only have one babe after transferring two--lots of luck to you--are you on fertility community? that kept me (semi) sane during the ivf procedure--lots of luck!! i can't wait to hear about your success!

michaela
November 13th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Yes I am on there too! Well I have been on there since 2008 but don't post as often anymore. The cycle threads get too big and hard to follow. I have been on the GS boards for just as long and love the smaller HT groups :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Potter
November 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I know Microsort is not allowed in the US right now. Is there any concern that IVF/PGD for family balancing will also become disallowed? I will probably do GS with IVF/PGD in about 1 to 1.5 years. Thanks!Not at this time. I do not expect any regulatory challenges for PGD in the near future.

alreadyneedivf
November 16th, 2011, 01:14 PM
thanks so much dr potter! I guess I should not worry about it becoming illegal in the next couple of years--thanks!