PDA

View Full Version : Hcg after miscarriage and D&C

djmommy
July 7th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for the HCG to leave your system after a miscarriage and D&C? I had a miscarriage and then ended up hemorrhaging and having a D&C and my levels were going down slowly. My last blood test was a level of 8 and then I had another one the week after and they said it was Zero but I'm getting faint lines on pregnancy test still. just wondering how that all works and if you ovulate when you still have that and your system still?

atomic sagebrush
July 7th, 2018, 08:07 PM
If your bloodwork is zero then you can ovulate. Blood tests are more reliable than pregnancy tests! Rarely, rarely, they can mess up a blood test, but since the one was 8 and the next was 0, and it reduced to 0 in about the amount of time it "should" have, I think the tests are accurate (it's next to impossible for both of the blood tests to be incorrect in precisely the right proportion to each other as we would expect them to be.)

djmommy
July 7th, 2018, 08:31 PM
It's just strange I'm still getting faint lines. Annoying I guess..lol..knowing it's not a real line...sigh39850

atomic sagebrush
July 7th, 2018, 08:53 PM
It is strange and if not for the blood test my spidey sense would def. be tingling, but wrong bloodwork is so unusual to start with and having it twice, just in the range we'd expect just seems pretty unlikely.

Do you have a lot of tests? Have your husband pee on one (although honestly, I know he's not super supportive so that actually may not be a great idea) I do see the line, but I"m just thinking this is the last hurrah and it's almost out of the urine. As long as it's not in your blood then it won't delay O.

djmommy
July 7th, 2018, 09:01 PM
Lol...he is supportive but doesn't want anymore....he may actually do it..haha
I'll rest again in a few days..i know some doctor's consider 5 and below not pregnant so maybe that's it.....
We'll see.

Thanks again Atomic!!!

atomic sagebrush
July 8th, 2018, 11:43 AM
:agree: yes anything below 5 is not pregnant.

FXFXFX for hubby to come through! :heart:

djmommy
July 12th, 2018, 04:32 PM
This has to be the most sensitive test on the planet. I keep.having faint lines, it's rather annoying as I'd like to ovulate before DH does anything permanent �� I got a.+opk yesterday but - negative today. I had a few left so decided to try. I'm so confused!!. I called my OB today to find out if my bloodwork was actually zero.

atomic sagebrush
July 13th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Yes let's see what the OB says. Zero HCG should = negative test. I do see the faintest hint of a line there.

I would be attempting if at ll possible just in case of the surge.

djmommy
July 19th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I think AF is finally arriving but I was still getting faint lines. So frustrating
We did have one attempt with no protection that will provably never happen again cause DH was so nervous. In was praying for a miracle then spotting today :(. Wonder why I'm still getting faint lines. Does this mean anything?

atomic sagebrush
July 20th, 2018, 11:33 AM
The only thing it could possibly mean was that there was retained tissue, but in that case you would not have gotten two betas that were low in a row (like I said, one could be wrong, but two wrong, and both in the exactly right proportion to each other doesn't add up to me)

I think the best thing is for AF to come and act as a reset.

I'm so sorry DH is being difficult - :pray: that he comes to his senses soon. :heart:

djmommy
July 20th, 2018, 11:54 AM
Thanks Atomic. Well AF is here, although way lighter than normal hopefully will clear anything left. Got a line on a test today. I don't think DH will come around and to get him to DTD without protection I may have to get him really really drunk...and then he may fall asleep!! Haha
But really, it makes me so sad to think about not being able to have another :(

djmommy
July 20th, 2018, 11:57 AM
It's so light so hcg has to be very minimal but I'm hoping AF will clear out anything

atomic sagebrush
July 20th, 2018, 12:51 PM
:heart: I completely understand, it's sooo hard. :( Hugest (((Hugs))).

djmommy
August 13th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Is it possible to still have leftover hcg after I have had AF?
I'm on CD 26 and haven't had my normal O signs but haven't done opks or anything because DH didn't want to try but I got a faint line this morning and wondering if it can still be leftover :(

djmommy
August 13th, 2018, 08:30 AM
The pic isn't great but there is a faint line

Throwaway_panther
August 13th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Is it possible to still have leftover hcg after I have had AF?
I'm on CD 26 and haven't had my normal O signs but haven't done opks or anything because DH didn't want to try but I got a faint line this morning and wondering if it can still be leftover :(

Yes, this can happen. In some worst case scenarios, it can be because there is some retained fetal tissue (this is what happened to me). Other times it can just be how your body processes hcg. Could you go in for an HCG beta bloodtest? That's the best way to track what your HCG is doing.

I would also caution: O signs can be unreliable. If you DTD at all unprotected, this could be a new pregnancy!

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Yep to everythign Panther just said.

I would consider getting this checked out. Very rarely you can get false pos pregnancy tests for other reasons and so it's worth checking at this point in time, IMO.

djmommy
August 13th, 2018, 02:22 PM
You think I need bloodwork or ultrasound?
Ugh so disappointing

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Rarely, let me stress VERY RARELY you can get a positive pregnancy test from early stage ovarian cancer and since ovarian cancer is hard to detect otherwise, and is treatable if caught early, and this is continuing on seemingly for no real reason I do think we need to call in the A Team here (doctors) to be sure that you do not have any retained tissue or potentially any other reason for concern. The odds are like a jillion to one here but I just dont' think we should put off getting it checked out.

djmommy
August 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Yikes! Ok I'll put a call in to my OB in the am.
Thanks
I was hoping for pregnancy! Lol

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2018, 03:11 PM
It could very well be and in fact is MUCH more likely than ovarian cancer but I don't like to take chances where my swayers are concerned. :heart:

djmommy
August 13th, 2018, 03:35 PM
If it looks the same in the morning I will call OB!
FX for a darker line.

Thanks ����

atomic sagebrush
August 13th, 2018, 06:31 PM
FX and TX too!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

djmommy
August 14th, 2018, 10:27 AM
So strange..well this morning the line was definitely lighter:( took two and they looked the same.
Is it possible a chemical or leftover hcg and an annovulatory cycle?

djmommy
August 14th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Do you think I should still make an appt?

atomic sagebrush
August 14th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Well, I'm supposed to say yes, you should, but I personally probably wouldn't for now. But do be sure that it goes full neg within the next couple weeks or else then do go in.

djmommy
August 14th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Yes I hear ya. I'll recheck to make sure it goes completely negative
What a total letdown though. I totally thought I could be preggo, felt like I was too but could be in my head haha
Well see what the next few weeks brings. DH isn't being very careful so fx something will happen. I hope I will at least ovulate, dont think I have this cycle. Is there any way to tell it's annovulatory expect by temp? Or obviously ultrasound?

djmommy
August 14th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Today is my lil guys 1st birthday! So bittersweet.

djmommy
August 15th, 2018, 09:15 AM
Ok this is my last question, another line appeared this morning, darker than yesterday but very light. Could be the test but now wonder what to do. Is it normal to have a level of 5 hug in your body?

Throwaway_panther
August 15th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Ok this is my last question, another line appeared this morning, darker than yesterday but very light. Could be the test but now wonder what to do. Is it normal to have a level of 5 hug in your body?

Women going through menopause have a natural higher level of hcg. Can you post the test? Are you sure this just isn't very early bfps for another pregnancy?

djmommy
August 15th, 2018, 10:17 AM
I sooo wish it was but it's not dark like it should be.
It was lighter yesterday

djmommy
August 15th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Super light but there. Most people probably wouldn't see it but I've looked at so many over the years..lol

Throwaway_panther
August 15th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I feel you, I have a trained eye by now and definitely see it. Very hard to tell if it's maybe an early chemical or residual HCG from the last loss. HCG also can take 72 hours to double, so if you were only still CD27 or 28, still sooo early for a new pregnancy too.

I really feel for you! And like I mentioned earlier, I ended up having retained fetal tissue from one of my losses that kept making these persistent faint positives but no positive betas even.

djmommy
August 15th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Thanks Panther. It's super frustrating, esp wanting to be pregnant !! CD 28 and no AF. I guess I will wait a week to see is AF shows and if not put a call in to OB. I'm never late unless pregnant and don't recall annovulatory cycles.

djmommy
August 15th, 2018, 12:36 PM
I feel you, I have a trained eye by now and definitely see it. Very hard to tell if it's maybe an early chemical or residual HCG from the last loss. HCG also can take 72 hours to double, so if you were only still CD27 or 28, still sooo early for a new pregnancy too.

I really feel for you! And like I mentioned earlier, I ended up having retained fetal tissue from one of my losses that kept making these persistent faint positives but no positive betas even.

So what was your outcome? Did you end up having another d&c?

Throwaway_panther
August 15th, 2018, 12:50 PM
So what was your outcome? Did you end up having another d&c?

So we had thought I had passed everything at first, so ended up only doing one d&c which was after we found the tissue.

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2018, 02:52 PM
Yes I hear ya. I'll recheck to make sure it goes completely negative
What a total letdown though. I totally thought I could be preggo, felt like I was too but could be in my head haha
Well see what the next few weeks brings. DH isn't being very careful so fx something will happen. I hope I will at least ovulate, dont think I have this cycle. Is there any way to tell it's annovulatory expect by temp? Or obviously ultrasound?

Even WITH those things you don't ever know in advance if it's going to be anovulatory or if O is just delayed nd then you'd ovulate later on. either AF comes or it doesn't, unfortunately.

Level of 5 is not unheard of and in fact is normal for some people. I am still concerned about retained tissue, though. Let's just keep an eye on this and see what happens.

Happy birthday to your little guy! :heart:

atomic sagebrush
August 15th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Thanks Panther. It's super frustrating, esp wanting to be pregnant !! CD 28 and no AF. I guess I will wait a week to see is AF shows and if not put a call in to OB. I'm never late unless pregnant and don't recall annovulatory cycles.

:agree: I think this i a good plan.

djmommy
August 16th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Okay so I know I said that was my last question, lol, but I'm probably grasping at straws here and just feel like I'm frustrated and running out of time with my age. Cd29 today no AF , and I'm wondering if it's way too late to ovulate or if I should chalk it up to an annovulatory cycle or everything is just still really messed up!

atomic sagebrush
August 16th, 2018, 11:56 AM
YES you absolutely can ovulate still. An anovulatory cycle is only anovulatory when a breakthrough bleed happens. Up till that point I want you guys to assume ovulation will occur and keep rolling with attempts!!!

djmommy
August 16th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Ok...thanks
I won't be doing opks just praying!

atomic sagebrush
August 16th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Perfect!! I will too! :) :pray: :pray: :pray:

djmommy
August 16th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Thanks. Definitely need it! ��

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 10:25 AM
I feel like a lunatic.
I'm testing to see whether this line will disappear.
Such a tease but yesterday's line and today's is so different. 40136

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I'm scared to test again to be again disappointed thinking it could possibly be real :(40137

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2018, 11:50 AM
I honestly think that if it's getting darker after having been lighter we do need to call in the big guns (doctor) to see what's going on. Having retained tissue can cause infections that can cost you your uterus or rarely even your life and I am just not liking how long this has hung on here. I feel like if it is a new pregnancy the test will be getting darker (and it may be a new pregnancy, jsut that it's not dark enough for me to count on that) but this back and forth very faint lines is worthy of more investigation.

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 12:32 PM
Yes I agree. Something is definitely going on. I will call on Monday. Im just so frustrated. I'll test again tomorrow.

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Please keep me posted how you're getting on and let me know if you have any more questions about anything they're telling you. :heart:

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 02:01 PM
I will, for sure. I'm just so confused like would I know if I had an infection or retained tissue still? Can retained tissue cause HCG to go up I don't even know anything?

atomic sagebrush
August 18th, 2018, 02:21 PM
No, you don't usually know. I had a massive amount of retained tissue after giving birth once (sorry for TMI) but it was larger than a lemon, smaller than an orange and the baby was 3 months old! I didn't know it was there, didn't have an infection or anything, felt perfectly fine, just felt a sudden sharp pain and then there it was. We've also had a few people who had to go back for a second D and C even after some months had passed, and one unlucky woman had to have a 3rd. Just the exact same set of circumstances, pregnancy test never went away. They didn't feel sick or crampy, just kept getting positive pregnancy tests.

Retained tissue CAN keep HCG high. It's not likely to make it go up, but we have seen some utterly bizarre things occur with retained tissue so I wouldn't count anything out. I think at this stage of the game we can't know what is going on and so we need to be able to take a closer look.

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Wow, so crazy.
Thanks for all the info. I do what to figure out what is going on.
Thanks again for all of your wisdom.
I will keep you posted

djmommy
August 18th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Gosh maybe it's these tests. I took a frer and dont really swe any thing. They'll probably think I'm nuts.

djmommy
August 19th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Should I still.make an appt you think if Frer is negative?

atomic sagebrush
August 19th, 2018, 06:01 PM
FRER is supposed to be the most sensitive test there is and if that is negative then I'd consider those other tests to be ghost lines (although that one test really did look faint positive)

I've turned my laptop every which way and I'm not seeing any line on the FRER.

djmommy
August 19th, 2018, 06:20 PM
I know I have looked at it every which way and I do not see a line whatsoever! So maybe those tests, they are 88cents from Walmart are giving lines. They do have pink but nada on frer. I hate to waste money on an appt but my cycle.is late and I will see what they say cause I will.still call tomorrow. Maybe they.have a time limit.to wait.for my period returning since I have already had one cycle. Maybe it was just break through bleeding though. Gosh....I just really want to ovulate!!!!

atomic sagebrush
August 19th, 2018, 06:44 PM
Yeah I know exactly what you mean - you go in there and they're like "why are you here" and then you wonder why you wasted the money. :/ I do suspect now given this additional info about the tests that it's just dodgy tests. But they may be willing to give you something to kickstart your period. No guarantees, of course, but people are often given something to start their cycles in this case. Just be sure you haven't had unprotected sex for 14 days plus a negative pregnancy test before starting the medication.

djmommy
August 19th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Ok thanks Atomic!!!!

djmommy
August 23rd, 2018, 12:44 PM
So I ordered opk just to see if anything was going on. I have no symptoms whatsoever , no cm, no high cervix..etc.
One last night and one today. Do they both look positive? It's been so long since I've used them. I am waiting for my doc to call me because I am on CD 36. Can I possibly O now?40196

atomic sagebrush
August 23rd, 2018, 08:20 PM
Yes you absolutely can O on CD 36! Happens all the time!! Attempt if at all possible!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

djmommy
August 24th, 2018, 09:17 AM
We did Wed! Then took opk a d was positive.
But I'm ready to throw the towel in.
3rd day of pos opk!
Im over it!

atomic sagebrush
August 24th, 2018, 03:00 PM
It's probably just taking the LH a little time to leave your system. FXFXFX!

djmommy
August 25th, 2018, 10:20 AM
I have never had an opk be positive for so long.
My body must be really out of whack.
Still looks positive today right?

djmommy
August 25th, 2018, 11:08 AM
It's drying so pos again.40203

What's going on you think? Maybe my body just can't get it together right now

It's just frustrating.
Sorry it's like an annoying never ending saga..lol

atomic sagebrush
August 25th, 2018, 12:24 PM
My advice is have another attempt to cover in case the first rush of the LH surge didn't trigger ovulation. This actually happens to tons of people, it's a regular event around here LOL.

Let's just think of it this way, your body just wants to make really really sure that egg gets released. :)

djmommy
August 25th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Will definitely try!!!!
I can't even attempt to temp because sleep is pretty nonexistent over here.
FX!

atomic sagebrush
August 25th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I hear that! Good luck!!!

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 12:46 PM
Sorry I'm posting again. I'm just really annoyed. Picked up a dollar tree opk and compared.
Maybe I never even had a surge :( cry :( cry

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Why do you say that?

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2018, 01:10 PM
Oh sorry when I replied the pic wasn't showing up.

Remember I want you to go off the first OPK of any brand that shows pos. This is because some brands are sensitive and pick up surges that are less strong than some other brands detect.

We can never know - even if you tested with 10 different brands of OPK and they all show positive - if any surge is truly positive or if it's false pos. So we're no worse off than we were, really, although I know it's nervewracking to not know what's going on - honestly we NEVER know what's going on. Those pesky OPK really are bargain basement technlology but unfortunately they're the best we got.

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 01:11 PM
The dollar tree opk is neg. Does the other one look positive?

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Yes I know what you mean. I have just been going with the flow with DH but these are stressing me out.
Gotta leave it in God's hands or else I'm going to lose my mind! Lol
We've been consistent with every 4 day so we'll see

Thanks for being patient with this!!

atomic sagebrush
August 26th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Remember, 99.99% of all the babies ever born were before the invention of OPK. All you need is regular BD and it's all good. :) You got this!

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 06:29 PM
I know right!! We have access to way too many things in this world we live in today!!

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 06:30 PM
Anyways, seems to be fading I.hope40227

djmommy
August 26th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Anyways, seems to be fading I.hope40227

atomic sagebrush
August 27th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Looks like it - keep me posted!! FXFXFX!!!

djmommy
August 28th, 2018, 12:59 PM
I will for sure!

djmommy
August 29th, 2018, 01:50 PM
After all this I think AF might be coming, I have a really bad lower back ache! I just hope it doesn't come back with a vengeance!:(
I just don't remember having a backache like this before��

atomic sagebrush
August 29th, 2018, 04:10 PM
Oh boo I'm sorry to hear this - keeping FX for good news though.

djmommy
August 30th, 2018, 05:21 AM
So I think I may have a uti/kidney infection. Really bad low back pain. I thought AF was coming but no bleeding yet. I even took tylenol last night because I couldn't sleep. I have never experienced this with any period. Temp.was a little elevated this morning. I'm sure I will get antibiotics but it is possible I "could" be preggo. Probably not but never kmow. Do u know if there are safe ones in case?

djmommy
August 31st, 2018, 02:11 PM
Well I'm still waiting on the lab to give me results but I had blood in my urine so I'm assuming some sort of infection had a fever and was in a lot of pain. But they gave me antibiotics. Can you believe that I think I may even be feeling ovulation pain today 6 days after we last DTD. It would happen now wouldn't it, after all of this crazy month

atomic sagebrush
September 1st, 2018, 01:48 PM
It could be, but I think it's also possible that it's post-O pain or related to the infection too. I hope you're feeling better soon!! :heart:

djmommy
September 8th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Hi Atomic..hopefully you see this!
I will probably make an appt next week but any advice is appreciated.
I'll attach my wonky chart but I'm just feeling so confused. I guess I can chalk it up to a crazy cycle trying to get regulated or maybe starting menopause..:(.
According to FF I'm 14 dpo, not sure I even ovulated or maybe later.
Still no AF, I tested last night and it was negative but decided to randomly take my temp this am and it 99.1. Definitely not normal for me. Ive been on antibiotics for 10 days and feeling better. Was so exhaustedlast night though and had dry mouth. I had d&c 3 months ago already. I'm just so annoyed.
I'm sure thereis no possible way I'm pregnant now based on our lack of bd patterns and from before becausea test would surely be positive by now.

djmommy
September 8th, 2018, 11:42 AM
26f267 Ovulation charts on FertilityFriend.com (http://FertilityFriend.com/home/26f267/)

atomic sagebrush
September 8th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Well, the thing about the FF chart is we really don't have a lot of data points in it (I"m not faulting you, I'm saying the crosshairs they're giving you are really not reliable due to the lack of temps)

It's fairly clear to me that you have had at least some sort of illness going on and the temps are reflecting that. The 100 degree temp is likely due to the infection, and let's say that today's temp is just high in a flukey way. FF can easily be tricked into detecting ovulation when it hasn't occurred.

It's possible you haven't even ovulated yet! Or that you have and it was later than you thought, or that you have and it was exactly when you thought but you're having one of those weird cycles where the lining hangs on for another couple days (I've seen the occasional 16 day LP, not often but it is possible.) I just don't think we can base anything on that chart, it's too misleading.

djmommy
September 8th, 2018, 03:41 PM
yes the 100 degree temp was definitely my Illness. I'll see what it says tomorrow but either way I'll see my OB this week. I just don't know what the norm is post mc.
I just posted the chart to show bd pattern. That s really all I enter these days.
Thanks

djmommy
September 8th, 2018, 04:14 PM
yes the 100 degree temp was definitely my Illness. I'll see what it says tomorrow but either way I'llk.see my OB this week. I just don't know what the norm is post upmc.
I just posted the chart to show bd pattern. That s really all I enter these days.
Thanks

atomic sagebrush
September 9th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Oh ok I'm glad you posted the chart, it really helps me envision what went on, just that I couldn't really sign off on those crosshairs, that's all.

I am not convinced you've ovulated - BD when you can.

djmommy
September 9th, 2018, 03:24 PM
My temp was 98.5 today. negative hpt. Is it possible antibiotics make your temp rise? Yesterday was the last dose. I felt like I had strange possible o.pains yesterday but my temps aren't even normal. I got an opk that was just about positive yesterdayand a few hours later negative. I think I just should go into OB and maybe take the meds to start AF. Is that probably the best thing to do?
oh and I think I have a yeast infection from the antibiotics. lovely right!! I'm so over this whole longgggg cycle

atomic sagebrush
September 11th, 2018, 11:16 AM
The "beta-lactam" antibiotics (the "cillins") have seemed to cause low grade fever for some people. Lots of mixed info about this though!

If you've gone for sure 14 days without having unprotected sex then it's ok to kickstart your period. At least it would end your limbo!!!

So sorry about the YI! BUT sometimes I do get them in the 2ww (in fact that's the only time I get them) FX this means AF is on her way!

djmommy
September 12th, 2018, 09:27 AM
I went in yesterday and she did bloodwork, thyroid, hormones, etc...so....hopefully soon I'll be out of limbo and maybe kick start things.

atomic sagebrush
September 13th, 2018, 12:59 PM
Oh I'm so glad - hopefully you get some answers soon. And please keep me posted - this is how I learn things is from you guys telling me about your cycles! :)

djmommy
September 13th, 2018, 02:27 PM
FSH 8
Progesterone 6
LH 6.6

thyroid was 1.5
does.this all look normal?

atomic sagebrush
September 13th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Progesterone indicates you haven't ovulated yet most likely, but could be on the way up or on the way down (if on the way down, expect AF any time)

The LH level indicates you are either in the FP or the LP which means that it's really unlikely that your prog levels are on the way up. If they were on the way up (say, ovulation had just occurred) we would expect your LH to be higher than that at that time.

The FSH is not super helpful and doesn't really tell us much here.

So these results indicate to me that most likely you have not ovulated. It's distantly possible that you are about to get your period but much more likely you haven't ovulated so far.

djmommy
September 13th, 2018, 02:58 PM
so I'm still in limbo!! Haha

atomic sagebrush
September 13th, 2018, 03:13 PM
Yep, unfortunately. All the more reason to kickstart it if they're willing to let you do that.

djmommy
September 13th, 2018, 03:21 PM
I asked the nurse on the phone and she said she wanted me to wait it out for now. So I guess I'll just wait and see what happens. I mean is it really even possible to ovulate now, and even be healthy?

djmommy
September 13th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Well....went to the bathroom and it seems AF has appeared!!
I guess I'm happy....lol
Now hoping for a normal cycle!!!!!!

Kjoseph09
September 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I just started my period today too after a miscarriage / D&C at the end of July. Trying to decide if I should take Clomid (for swaying purposes) this month.
Glad you got your AF back. Good luck!

djmommy
September 14th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Sorry for your loss. If you are taking Clomid, maybe it would be best to wait a cycle? I'm sure Atomic will chime in. Best of Luck toyou. Hoping for a miracle rainbow baby!

Kjoseph09
September 14th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I think I had a period about two weeks after my D&C. I wasn’t totally positive because I was still having spotting. I wasn’t temping or using OPKs.

atomic sagebrush
September 14th, 2018, 01:44 PM
Just to answer your question, yes it was still possible for you to ovulate and for it to be healthy. The whole thing people will tell you that "long cycles mean bad eggs" is completely untrue (and I have a long explanation for anyone interested)

But - looks like it was Option B, prog had dropped and AF was about to arrive!

The only bummer element of that is that we can't know if you did ovulate or if this was anovulatory because progesterone had already dropped!! But can you think back about two weeks - any signs or symptoms of O at that point??

Either way, it doesn't matter because it will still act like a reset button on your cycle.

atomic sagebrush
September 14th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I just started my period today too after a miscarriage / D&C at the end of July. Trying to decide if I should take Clomid (for swaying purposes) this month.
Glad you got your AF back. Good luck!

I think you're ok to go this month K. That's been the first bleed and now a second after the D and C. If you feel ready.

djmommy
September 14th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Just to answer your question, yes it was still possible for you to ovulate and for it to be healthy. The whole thing people will tell you that "long cycles mean bad eggs" is completely untrue (and I have a long explanation for anyone interested)

But - looks like it was Option B, prog had dropped and AF was about to arrive!

The only bummer element of that is that we can't know if you did ovulate or if this was anovulatory because progesterone had already dropped!! But can you think back about two weeks - any signs or symptoms of O at that point??

Either way, it doesn't matter because it will still act like a reset button on your cycle.

Remember about 2 weeks ago I felt O pain when I had the bad uti with fever and pain. I didn't do any opks because I was miserable but I "could" have ovulated. Hoping I do this time and we catch up because time is running out for me
Thanks for answering my question
I'd love to read about it if you have a link :)

atomic sagebrush
September 15th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Oh yeah I do remember and we were thinking it was probably the UTI. I find people often get VI of various sorts around ovulation (because pH rises) so that actually makes sense.

Ok. atomic scootches out soapbox from under the couch.

The explanation is that people who have really long cycles are often in other categories where they may be more likely to have losses and birth defects. Anorexics, PCOSers, older moms - and so when scientists first studied the notion "do long cycles lead to unhealthy eggs" they didn't take any of this into account and they did find a small statistical correlation between longer cycles and issues with pregnancies. Online, this became this "OMG long cycles mean unhealthy eggs, miscarriages, birth defects, etc."

But it's never been real. The eggs are dormant till the body intends to ovulate them and the ones that do begin to develop but are not ovulated are simply reabsorbed (and this process happens to all of us every month, it's what ovaries do with eggs that don't get released) Women frequently will get pregnant after having not ovulated for months or even years due to having been on birth control, pregnancy/lactation, after a loss, due to PCOS or hypothalamic amenorrhea (being too thin or exercising too much) and have perfectly normal, healthy babies! (I did!) Young girls sometimes get pregnant the very first month they even ovulate! And while we think "going several months without having a cycle" is strange/abnormal, not very long ago that was the norm and not the exception. Women were pregnant/lactating or so thin/working so hard they weren't ovulating regularly, all the time. Not ovulating regularly is actually way more normal than constant 28 day cycles (and some evidence indicates that the advent of regular, monthly menstrual cycles may be part of the reason why modern women are now more prone to breast and ovarian cancer than we historically were.) The body by its very design has a natural system that keeps eggs dormant till your body is ready to ovulate and then developing and releasing them as needed, and reabsorbs the ones that don't get released.

but unfortunately, you can still read this misinformation (that long cycles = unhealthy eggs) tons of places online because it's one of those things "experts" like to do to make losses and trouble conceiving be our fault and our problem. It's just an endemic mindset in the fertility community - doctors and herbologists do not like to tell people the truth, which is just that sometimes, losses happen for no better reason than bad luck and some of us are more slightly prone to that bad luck than others. They would rather portray women's bodies as these fragile, broken things that are always in dire need of a doctor or an herb bottle to "fix" things that are there by design.

djmommy
September 15th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Wow, such great information!! And thank you for that. That is exactly what I have read, so the reason I asked. It's very interesting. I actually suffered from anorexia in my early 20s and did not have a period for years. The first cycle TTC we got pregnant! Our bodies are indeed so strong and amazing!!!

atomic sagebrush
September 16th, 2018, 02:54 PM
They really are and once you start looking at the menstrual cycle through that lens, a lot of things that we have always assumed are "wrong" with us and have been told we need to "fix", we really don't! It is natural and normal for our female bodies to always be in this state of hormone flux and our eggs, ovaries, uterus, and tubes all know how to handle that a LOT better than a bunch of old men who run medical schools. :)

djmommy
September 16th, 2018, 04:25 PM
love your response!!
So true!!

Rf1927
May 29th, 2021, 05:23 PM
I just have to reply to this - made me smile at a very dark time in my life - thank you

atomic sagebrush
May 30th, 2021, 09:14 AM
Can I help you with anything, RF?

atomic sagebrush
May 30th, 2021, 09:33 AM
I answered your post!