PDA

View Full Version : Safe co-sleeping and bed-sharing:)

DoulaMama
November 18th, 2011, 03:34 PM
http://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns

Above is an article written by Dr. Sears regarding co-sleeping:) Just posting this because there are many that believe that it's unsafe...which is the opposite of the truth! Just spreading the word!!! xoxo

purplepoet20
November 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I love co-sleeping with my wiggly worms! Nothing like having your little one holding your cheek, hand, or shirt :)

I was afraid about something happening but once I did the reseach and practiced safe co-sleeping I was ok. I did put them in a crib if I was overly tired.

DoulaMama
November 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I agree PP! There's a safe way and an unsafe way! I've safely, bedshared with my babies from birth :) Although, I don't lay them on their backs because none of my children would sleep that way.

ETA- when DS1 was about 1 month old, he had an apnea session in bed beside me. I woke up because he has stopped breathing(which is something that happens with co-sleepers-moms wake when babies have irregular breathing episodes) 5 seconds went by, still no breathing, and I blew in his face to try to startle him...it woke him up with a jump and he breathed in deeply. It was such a scary event! Who knows if he would have started on his own or not...but it made me thankful he was so close at night. PS- this was before I put him on his tummy to sleep!

purplepoet20
November 18th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Both of mine had to face me as a baby... now they face dada and use as a foot rest!

Lavenderlime
November 18th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I co-slept with both of mine for a year, DS2 from birth. Made it so much easier to feed at night and I never worried that it was unsafe it infact felt much safer to me!

Lilian78
November 18th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Liking the article ... I cosleep but not with tiny babies because it makes me paranoid...glad that it mentions the arms reach. But it just seems to me to be common sense that those who are closer to their babies are more aware of what's going on.

Hobbermittens
November 18th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I co-slept with my 2nd and 3rd. I was too worried to do it with my first. But it made life so much easier with the babies once I decided to do it! I had the Arm's reach co-sleeper for all 3 of them, and let the 2nd and 3rd into my bed at about 3 months when they weren't quite so floppy.

DoulaMama
November 18th, 2011, 11:57 PM
It's so nice to "see" so many co-sleepers! :HH: And I agree Lillian:)