PDA

View Full Version : Folic acid

love being a mummy
November 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Will anything happen to bub if you take too much.
I know we need to take alot if we are using lots of salt and BS.
Just wondering though, if I am not using enough salt and BS, would I possibly be taking too much FA ?

rainbowflower
November 21st, 2011, 07:23 AM
how much FA are you taking?
I don't think too much will harm a baby - remember that doctors often prescribe extra folic acid to those who have previously had MCs

love being a mummy
November 21st, 2011, 07:26 AM
I take 2000mcg daily + my prenatal has 500

rainbowflower
November 21st, 2011, 08:11 AM
according to this website: http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/nutrientguidelines.htm you shouldn't take more than 1000mcg of folic acid (Folate) a day even if pregnant/BF, although it doesn't say why

love being a mummy
November 21st, 2011, 08:37 AM
I was told I need to be taking at least 2000

rainbowflower
November 21st, 2011, 11:15 AM
who by?

zanacal
November 21st, 2011, 11:42 AM
I believe this is Atomic's recommendation while on the boy diet because some of the things they do deplete the body of folic acid. I'm sure I've read that you pee out any that your body doesn't need.

purplepoet20
November 21st, 2011, 11:49 AM
Just don't take more the 400mg of FA in the last trimester of preg because it increases the chances of asthma in the baby... what my Dr's say anyways.

Cinss
November 21st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Its ok to be taking 2000mg up until you get a BFP, then during the first 3months of pregnancy, wean yourself off it gradually untill you are only taking the prenatal for the last 6months.

love being a mummy
November 21st, 2011, 06:31 PM
who by?
Lots of people on here told me I should be taking that amount.

Its ok to be taking 2000mg up until you get a BFP, then during the first 3months of pregnancy, wean yourself off it gradually untill you are only taking the prenatal for the last 6months.
I was told to take the same amount up until the 1st trimester has ended and then wean off it slowly.

love being a mummy
November 21st, 2011, 06:33 PM
http://genderdreaming.com/forum/showthread.php?1628-Complete-guide-to-taking-supplements!&highlight=folic+acid

The TTC boy diet and baking soda drinks are particularly hard on your folic acid levels and ALL blue swayers should be taking extra folic acid - minimum of 2000 mcg.

atomic sagebrush
November 22nd, 2011, 10:13 AM
Will anything happen to bub if you take too much.
I know we need to take alot if we are using lots of salt and BS.
Just wondering though, if I am not using enough salt and BS, would I possibly be taking too much FA ?

YES this is ok!!!!!!! You just pee out any excess. MANY women are told to take higher doses than that if they have had a baby with a neural tube defect.

Just take it throughout the first trimester, then when the first trimester is over, gradually wean yourself back to the amount in your prenatal. You shouldn't take the excess amount into the third trimester because it has been tenatively linked to asthma.

love being a mummy
November 23rd, 2011, 12:16 AM
YES this is ok!!!!!!! You just pee out any excess. MANY women are told to take higher doses than that if they have had a baby with a neural tube defect.

Just take it throughout the first trimester, then when the first trimester is over, gradually wean yourself back to the amount in your prenatal. You shouldn't take the excess amount into the third trimester because it has been tenatively linked to asthma.
Thank you :)