PDA

View Full Version : women ovulate more than once in a month??

atomic sagebrush
November 26th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Carole, when you have half a sec I'd love to hear your take on this.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn3927-women-can-ovulate-more-than-once-a-month.html

Carole
November 26th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I found the article interesting but am not sure it has been replicated. That follicular growth occurs in waves is very well know but the observation that two separate ovulation events occur from two different waves in one approx. 28 day period is surprising. What bothers me about this article is that it was published in 2000 and 2002 in a journal that reproductive biologists and clinicians read and yet is not big news and has not replaced current dogma. All of which makes me think that perhaps these observations weren't repeatable because they would be really big news. We know that superovulation as seen in women undergoing an IVF cycle rescues waves of follicles that normally would be extinguished by the mature follicle in a natural cycle. These waves of growth in a stim cycle produce multiple eggs which are then retrieved surgically before ovulation can occur. This kind of multiple ovulation at the same time is different from what is reported in this article. It is possible that some forms of ovarian dysregulation could allow multiple ovulations separated in time within one menstrual time period but I couldn't find newer research/evidence for this phenomenon.

atomic sagebrush
November 26th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Thank you SO MUCH Carole, I had come to the exact same conclusion and I am happy to know there isn't some huge bombshell out there that I missed.