PDA

View Full Version : Girl moms! What month were you born in?

calico
December 2nd, 2011, 10:51 PM
Random question I know, but I'm curious...this is a quick, very non scientific poll inspired by a study link posted on IG. Supposedly women born in feb-apr (north hemi, I think) have more girls but I don't understand the scientific speak used in the abstract. As a march baby wanting a girl, it would be nice if it were true. :happy:

Here's the link: "This study claims that mothers born in Feb - April are more likely to have a girl. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=10510576&query_hl=46&itool=pubmed_docsum"

TTC5
December 2nd, 2011, 10:58 PM
I was born in May :)

CapricornAquarius
December 2nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
I was born in October!

Cinss
December 3rd, 2011, 12:24 AM
January

love being a mummy
December 3rd, 2011, 05:45 AM
December

mannem
December 3rd, 2011, 05:51 AM
December

Zivic-Bubac
December 3rd, 2011, 07:15 AM
October :)

Out of the Blue
December 3rd, 2011, 09:37 AM
I'm not a girl mom yet (had a girl but m/c her) and have 2 boys but I'm a March girl too FWIW...

atomic sagebrush
December 4th, 2011, 02:23 PM
June. My mom born in july has 2 g 1 b, stepmom born in May has 1 g, MIL born in Dec. has one g 1 b, grandma born in Jan had 2 B 1 G.

Sister born in Mar has a boy and grandma born in Feb had one boy.

My brother's girlfriend is an identical twin, born in Sept. on the exact same day obviously and one has a girl and one has a boy.

These articles are interesting because of what they tell us (that there may be some seasonal variation that our bodies pick up on and it may start as soon as we are even born or conceived and even more importantly, that fertility overall really DOES sway) but NO ONE should throw up their hands in despair and think that they are doomed to have only one gender because it simply isn't true...exhibit A, Michelle Duggar.

Here are a couple other interesting studies along these lines.

Effects of maternal birth season on birth seasonali... [Hum Biol. 1990] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2227914)
The relation between seasonal birth variation a... [Arch Gynecol. 1980] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7369799)
Twinning rate by month of mot... [Acta Genet Med Gemellol (Roma). 1984] - PubMed - NCBI (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6540025)

love being a mummy
December 4th, 2011, 06:40 PM
My brother's girlfriend is an identical twin, born in Sept.
My mum and her identical twin were born in Sept aswell.

love being a mummy
December 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
They both had girls first, mum went on to have 2 boys after that. Her sister only had 1 child.

prayingforblue
December 5th, 2011, 05:18 PM
September

auroara78
December 12th, 2011, 11:50 AM
I'm not a girls mom (have two boys) but I was born in April, so dunno about this study

hmskl4
December 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Feb

LolaInLove
December 12th, 2011, 05:27 PM
January

Hobbermittens
December 12th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I was born in December, and I have GBG. I have 5 friends with multiple girls/no boys, and their birthdays are in Dec (3 girls), Sept.(3 girls), April(3 girls) August (2 girls), July (2 girls).

n710
December 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I was born in March.
DS-born June
DD1-January
DD2-October
DD3-expected March

atomic sagebrush
December 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Here's a nifty study...birth month in sows may make some difference. PLEASE don't extrapolate this to humans because you can't draw any comparisons really but it is interesting because it shows that there may be something to this seasonal variance.

I actually kinda disagree with the conclusion the researchers draw about maternal condtion and more males in the litter - the male litters were smaller in size and had more stillborns so I am not sure this really seems to indicate what they claim it does. I would suspect that female sows born Sept-Feb would actually be LESS fertile overall due to colder temps/shorter days/less vit D around birth (perhaps releasing less eggs) and fewer animals in the litter tend to = more boys in rats, mice, and sows. So it's like there are actually two causes and effects happening simulaneously and NOT that sows born Sept-FEb are necessarily in better condition.

Just want to reiterate, it is doubtful that there is any magic quality of the month of a pig's birth, it's more likely that SOMETHING like day length, temperature, vit D., overall fertility, that is doing the swaying and not the month you're born in per se.

atomic sagebrush
December 18th, 2011, 10:40 AM
It would help if I actualy posted the study

http://www.biollett.amu.edu.pl/biollett_40_2_111_118.pdf

3Pink1Blue
December 18th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm a March baby with 3 girls.

Princess of Pink
January 7th, 2012, 01:21 AM
August

sixhappysons
January 7th, 2012, 01:38 AM
March baby with 7 boys!! Not true for me, lol.

purple sky
January 8th, 2012, 03:10 PM
August - I have 3 boys
My sister is December she has 1 ds and 1 dd
My mom is June - 2dd and 1 ds