PDA

View Full Version : my kid is a puker....

Hobbermittens
December 6th, 2011, 02:46 PM
My 20 month old throws up for no apparent reason, about once a month. She will be fine, then throw up, then be fine. It usually happens when she is in bed, though it has happened in her car seat a couple times. I don't think it is a stomach bug, because she throws up only one time, and then seems to feel fine afterwards. I am just concerned because neither of my older kids ever did this. I wonder if I should be concerned? Do any of you have kids that do this? What causes it?

nuthinbutpink
December 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Yes, I have one of those and my brother was like that. It she has a lot of mucus, that can bring it on and we have had a stomach bug here that I call Puke and Rally and both my older kids have thrown up once each and then an hour later they are eating a huge lunch saying they are fine. New meaning to Puke and Rally for me!

Hobbermittens
December 6th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Puke and Rally--that's funny! I guess that's what I will call it too. :)

zanacal
December 6th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Does she have milk before bed? Dairy is mucus forming. My DS1 went through a phase as a toddler of doing this every night after I'd put him to bed and we had to quit the milk for a while.

shouldihope?
December 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
When I was a kid I would do that if I ate too much before bed. Once I got into Junior High I started having heart burn. I eventually had to have surgery to repair a hiatal hernia and have had no problems since. Has she had problems with reflux?

Hobbermittens
December 7th, 2011, 02:12 PM
SHe doesn't seem to have reflux, but she does drink milk before bed, every night! I wonder if that is causing it? She has had milk before bed every night since I weaned her--it was the only way I was able to wean her at all. SHe won't take water either--I have tried that. Hmmm....

shouldihope?
December 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM
will she drink rice milk? That is what I weand DS3 too. He loves it!

purplepoet20
December 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
DS1 has had puking issues since 2mths his is related to food allergies but before we learned about the allergies our Dr suggested a few things...

Make sure all milk is taken while in a proped or sitting position. Wait 1-2hrs before putting them to bed, meant us holding him in a chair until the time was up.

We even tried cereal in the milk. It thickens it a little so it stays in the tummy. The formula in the stores for reflux have cereal or a little corn starch in it.

Never give anything that can cause the milk to sour in the stomach, like citris type fruits.

Burp burp burp. Babies who eat fast need to burp a few times while drinking, even up to 2 years old. 2-4 mins burp, 2-4 mins burp, and again and again until done. Worked best for DS1 while nursing because he would explode all over me everytime he ate.

Hobbermittens
December 7th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Interesting purple! I had given her milk and oranges last time she puked... I won't do that again!!

purplepoet20
December 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
My older bro was a puker too and my dad figured it was because of fruit. They only gave him fruit in the morning and then waited 3hrs before giving him milk.

zanacal
December 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM
My DS1 went through a stage of being sick every night after bed - I think it may have been after a cold or virus of some sort. I can't remember his age but he was still in a cot so he wasn't that old. We switched to soya or rice milk for a while until he was over it!

Luvmykiddos
December 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
My son is a puker too...I think it is related to smells? I just try to "sniff" out areas that are questionable before he comes in.