PDA

View Full Version : So many boy moms today :(

annabel♥lee
December 11th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I took my little guy to a birthday party today and was talking to a few of the other moms who have boys. Several of them have three and it just got me wondering about the whole 50/50 chance thing. Is it really 50/50 each time? Why did these ladies have three boys and why would I be any luckier than them to get a girl? I could tell both of them had gone for #3 to "try for that girl" and didn't get her but of course I didn't come out and say anything and they didn't admit to it.

They don't know I'm pregnant but I mentioned maybe wanting to try for #3 one day and hoping for a DD and they were saying that it's such a small chance to have a girl after 2-3 boys, blah blah blah. And one of the moms told me that when she was leaving the hospital with her 3rd boy, the nurse said to her "wow, you got gypped". I don't want to hear comments like that, I will go off on someone!:(

I don't know, it just got me thinking that it's VERY likely I am carrying boy #3 and I'm so scared to hear that it's boy #3.

KnockYourBallsOff
December 11th, 2011, 11:00 PM
I think it's still very much 50/50. All I have to do to remind myself of that is get a paper bag and put in 5 blue marbles and 5 pink. If I pick 3, DH picks 3, and my DS's each pick 3....we'd all have a totally different mix...ya know?

KnockYourBallsOff
December 11th, 2011, 11:01 PM
I'm just trying to increase my pink balls with a sway :)

Cinss
December 12th, 2011, 12:45 AM
I am seeing same sex x3 mummas everywhere!!! It's either that or Boy,Girl mummas (sigh)

Zivic-Bubac
December 12th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Somebody here beautifully said it feels like gambling with weighted coin :(
( but I think statistically chances for girl after two boys are higher then for boy after two girls, there were stats on IG about that)

auroara78
December 12th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Zivic, I think you may have it reversed :(
I think chances for a boy after two girls goes up
and chances for a girl after two boy go down....I may have misread it, but that's how I remembered it

Annabel, don't fret, darling, you did a great sway, and I really do believe swaying can help change our natural body chemistry's to help our chances

part of me still believes that no matter how good a sway of course, there is always luck and randomness involved, as such would happen if you flipped a coin

begonia
December 12th, 2011, 11:03 PM
When I get all befuddled about the odds I really like this particular study (link below; it's on here elsewhere too) because it looked at so many families (700,000 and 1.4 million offspring)... and while there is a BIT of a statistical difference that the odds are higher for boys after multiple boys, it's still in the low 50's. Not like the 80/20 you so often here. And definitely a more comprehensive data set than those IG stats.

I like it because it makes me feel like I wasn't crazy to hope for a boy, since even after 2DD there was a >50% birth of boys to the families. In the study you'll want to look at table 2, which is on page 960 ... study begins on page 957. After 2 boys, the third children were 51.6% male.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/150/9/957.full.pdf

I think luck is a bigger part of it than swaying (I do think swaying helps, but is FAR from a guarantee) but I absolutely believe you have a 50/50 shot for a girl this time regardless of how many boys you already have. FX you've got a pink bundle headed your way!

queen-bee
December 15th, 2011, 06:36 AM
my obstetrician reckons the ratio of 49.5:50.5 (girl:boy) is still accurate. He assissts deliveries every day and his own statistics support this. I personally believe that odds are higher to have another boy after two boys (this happened to me and most of my friends).

ThroughWithBlue
December 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I see VERY large families of boys quite often. Just over the weekend I saw a family of 5 boys. No girls. Talked to a girl in a store who had 6 boys, no girls. And when I had my first son (who I had GD with) in the postpartum ward there was a woman there with 7 boys and an 8th newborn boy. I will never forget sitting there looking at all her boys on that couch in front of me. I know how you feel, it makes you feel like there's no hope. But for my story, thats only 3 families. Most people go on to have mixed genders. I do know how you feel though *hugs*

annabel♥lee
December 20th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Ugh. I just feel like I ALWAYS see families with 3 boys. In real life and online. I often see families with one of each, 3 boys, one boy & 2 girls, but I feel like I rarely see families with 2 boys & then a girl.

I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to have a girl after 2 boys! LOL. Stupid! Of course it's possible! I know a couple of families like this. But still, I feel like it's a rarity. And I don't feel I can be so lucky. I hope so but I'm trying to get used to the idea of boy #3. This is hard. *sigh*

thirdtimelucky
December 28th, 2011, 05:45 AM
As a mum of 3 boys, you get used to people either feeling sorry for you or not wanting to be you. I always have mums of 2 boys come up to me and say the reason they won't go for a third is because they are scared that they will share my fate in having 3 boys...sigh. For the record, 3 boys is a lot of fun, I still long for a daughter and I will do all in my power to get her. Its a bit odd that so many people pity you, maybe it's just their own fears, not sure.

xx

bluebellstar
December 28th, 2011, 06:15 AM
hey hun i feel like you, im new here but just getting used to the site. i have 3 boys and long for pink xxxxxxx

grasshopper
December 29th, 2011, 09:17 AM
FWIW as a girl Mum I see a lot of other Mum's with all girl families. We notice what relates more to our own situations. Just like when we bought a new car...suddenly I noticed the same type of car everywhere although I never had before.

As for our chances of getting our DG, well I always liken it to flipping a coin...we do it lot in our house to make decisions or settle disputes because my girls find it loads of fun...yesterday my DH flipped heads 7 times in a row before we got a tail...but sometimes you can flip a head and its tails straight up next.
Same deal with gender really...you can perhaps influence things to sway a little in your favour (yep even with coin tossing you can do little things to influence the outcome slightly one way or another) but at the end of the day you have practically the same chance every time you flip the coin.
Statistically my DH had basically the same chance of flipping a head every time he flipped the coin...it didn't get less possible after flipping a tail for the 3,4,5,6,7 time.
All we can really do is try to influence things as best we can in our favour and then close our eyes and wait to see if it worked.

zanacal
December 29th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I actually feel that I'm in the minority having 3 of a kind where I live. Another lady at the boys' school has 3 boys (and she never seems to be in quite the chaos we're in!) but all the other mums I know with 3 children have one opposite - I see 2 girls then a boy and 2 boys then a girl all the time! I always think that those mums aren't quite so geared up to have one gender over the other as some of us are. There was absolutely nothing about my make-up and lifestyle that would sway girl before I found this site and altered those things. I do believe that luck still has a lot to do with it (it has to as DH still always produces 50/50 ish sperm) but the good news is that the other things we do with altering sperm count, diet and hormones can help to weight that coin in your favour.

xokatietatie
December 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
As a mum of 3 boys, you get used to people either feeling sorry for you or not wanting to be you. I always have mums of 2 boys come up to me and say the reason they won't go for a third is because they are scared that they will share my fate in having 3 boys...sigh. For the record, 3 boys is a lot of fun, I still long for a daughter and I will do all in my power to get her. Its a bit odd that so many people pity you, maybe it's just their own fears, not sure.

xx

We had people say they were sorry for us when we found out DS3 was a boy. It was ridiculous!

Muls
January 13th, 2012, 07:52 PM
You can read 1000 things but I think there is no way to know there are families with mixed gender and with all of one gender. I swayed this time but no luck for me DS4 will arrive in June, but I'm not giving up I'm going to attempt PGD in 2013. I think I will end up with another boy if I just try naturally so my last shot (as I don't wan't more than 5) is pgd.