PDA

View Full Version : Slap cheek virus

Belle
December 12th, 2011, 05:12 AM
My ds2 has it. My ds1 school has an outbreak and my ds2 kinder has an outbreak. I'm really upset because apart from it being highly contagious it is very risky for pregnant women and worse with anaemia which I also have. I have to get a blood test done but not for a few weeks, they don't do it earlier than around 12 weeks. I'm so nervous if I test positive. I've tried to google info about other women but I seem to get to the parts of them testing positive but then I don't know how they dealt with it or if they gave birth. Does anyone know more about this or if they experienced this and what was the outcome? Could I possibly be lucky and dodged the bullet?

nuthinbutpink
December 12th, 2011, 06:20 AM
Is that hand, foot and mouth disease?

glory
December 12th, 2011, 06:59 AM
No I think slapped cheek is fifths disease.

I am sorry I don't have any answer for you, but it is possible you escaped it. When I was pregnant with ds3, ds2 came down with swine flu when it was going through the epidemic stage (and I was in my third trimester which was apparently the worst time) but I never got it.

nuthinbutpink
December 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Only 10% of fetuses get it if you are infected. The baby can become anemic. I'm sure your doctor will check it out.

atomic sagebrush
December 12th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I think it's "5th disease" in the US, yes??

A friend of mine was exposed to this a couple years ago and we did a lot of research at that point. We found that the vast majority of people had it in childhood and are totally immune. She had an antibody titer (?) or something like that and she found out she'd had it as a child and was immune.

Praying that you hear good results Belle!!

atomic sagebrush
December 12th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Oh and PS, I actually did get swine flu when I was 7 months pg and had to take Tamiflu and everything but DS 4 is just fine. Even when you do get these things, it can still turn out ok in the end. :pray: all turns out well.

zanacal
December 12th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I was exposed to it while pregnant with DS3 and had to be checked to see if I was immune to it - I was even though my mum has no recollection of me ever having it. I think it's so common that it's quite likely you had it as a child even if you don't realise it. FX for you x

TTC5
December 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Chances are, you are immune to it anyway - FX!! xxxxxxxxxxx

princesssarah34
December 12th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I am not trying to freak anyone out but this is what slap cheek is and how it can affect your baby and you while pregnant. And in no way am I try to say you have this. Just clarifying for some. And it is good to be tested just in case.
Slapped Cheek Syndrome (slap cheek, fifth disease, parvovirus b19) (http://www.slappedcheek.com/) click here.

This is one of the many test the ran on me while pg with Evan...because this virus can cause Hydrops (but there are many other things that can cause it as well).

Belle
December 13th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Ugh girls thank you for replying and your well wishes I really don't know what to think I'm biting my nails off and I'm not a nail biter. One minute I'm thinking it will be fine and then I find out more about it and I start feeling anxious. I wish they'd just test me now so I could sleep better...

princesssarah34
December 13th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Ugh girls thank you for replying and your well wishes I really don't know what to think I'm biting my nails off and I'm not a nail biter. One minute I'm thinking it will be fine and then I find out more about it and I start feeling anxious. I wish they'd just test me now so I could sleep better...

Hang in there sweetie! Hopefully everything will be just fine and there is nothing to worry about! But I totally know how hard it is to wait! When will you be 12 weeks?

Sunset
December 13th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately the information I have on this is not so positive. I know in the UK if a pregnant woman becomes infected with slap cheek disease, there is a 30% chance of it crossing the placenta, which then carries a 15% mortality rate for the fetus. The careplan for a pregnant woman in the UK infected with slap cheek disease is weekly scans until delivery and if needed be blood transfusions on the baby while in utero. On the upside, 60% of all adults carry immunity!

Belle
December 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
Good News My obs midwife called me today and told me that they checked my file and I have nothing to worry about. Apparently I've either had it years ago and didnt know and Ive been immunized for it. I'm so happy. I don't know why she didn't check right away and instead she said ill need a blood test at first. Now she said I don't need another blood test now is that right? I'll be 12 weeks in 4 weeks.

Sunset
December 14th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Yes it means you've got the antibodies!! :cheer: what excellent news!!! :D

Belle
December 14th, 2011, 05:17 AM
A big Thank you thank you thank you I always feel better when I talk to you girls, know one knows I'm pregnant apart from Dh. What a relief. XXXOOO