PDA

View Full Version : AF-Type Cramps and Ovulation?

Mochagirl
December 18th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Normally around the time of ovulation, I have sharp pains in one side.

Today is CD9 or 10 for me (the reason I don't know is I'm just coming off my first cycle after m/c in which I spotted almost every day. I'm not sure exactly what day the spotting became af). I'm having some pretty bad af-like cramps in my lower abdomen today - just a dull, regular ache not sharp pains. I don't usually have this around O. Has anyone else?

My OPKs are still negative, but I'm starting to have a wee bit of ewcm and my cervix is softening and opening. We've been trying to get to 7 days of frequent release before dtd (we're swaying pink), but I want to make sure I don't miss O entirely! We've had 5 days so far and I planned to have dh release tonight and tomorrow before we start dtd for real....but should I take those cramps as a sign that O could be imminent and start dtd earlier? FYI, the earliest I've ever had O according to FF is CD13, but I know a m/c can really mess up your cycle.

Advice, anyone?

zanacal
December 18th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I have far worse 'period' pains around O than I do when I have AF - they're more often than not a general aching in my tummy and/or back rather than a one sided stabbing pain, but they can come days in advance (as can EWCM). If I were you I'd be happy to stick with my original plan but continue to keep a close eye on things. Even if you hadn't DTD before your first +OPK (if it surprised you!) then you could still get in 3 attempts around O and stand a good chance of conceiving. Good luck whatever you decide - I hope it comes early just so you don't have to worry too much about having an attempt at the in-laws!!

Mochagirl
December 18th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks, Z. I think I'm more worried because last month I never got a +OPK, yet according to FF I did ovulate (I had a strong thermal shift). It's good to know you can get days of cramps before O actually happens - it makes me think things are still on schedule for me to O in a few days. I think we'll hold off dtd tonight and see what happens with my OPK tomorrow. If I get a +, what do you think of the idea of me having him release a few hours before our attempt then dtd - it would be 6 days of FR + one day with a release before our attempt. Would that be enough, do you think?

zanacal
December 18th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I would be happy with that in your position :D

Mochagirl
December 18th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks, Z - I normally have a pretty good idea what's going on with my body - it's soooo frustrating to have everything change after my m/c! I just want to have O over with so I can be in the 2WW.

Yahmama
December 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Normally around the time of ovulation, I have sharp pains in one side.

Today is CD9 or 10 for me (the reason I don't know is I'm just coming off my first cycle after m/c in which I spotted almost every day. I'm not sure exactly what day the spotting became af)....

Advice, anyone?

I have had 2 m/c in the past, and it took my body about 2 cycles to get fully regular. We ttc the month after both of them and I don't think I actually ovulated in either of those cycles. I ended up getting bfp again the 2nd month after each m/c...it wasn't until my 3rd pregnancy that my doctor put me on a prescription for progesterone after I got a bfp b/c my levels were so low. I've had 3 successful pregnancies since then with no complications! FX for you and so sorry for your loss.

Mochagirl
December 18th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks, Yahmama - and I'm sorry you had to go through this twice. I know miscarriages can do a real number on your cycle, but since I ovulated last month I'm hoping I will again this month :fx: